Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, lexi is my drug...i love her so much that every time i touch her i cant put her down...so during the weekend i took out for a session and never put her back due to the amazing weather.

I installed my new stereo system..2 p2 rockford phosgates with rockford amp.

everything seems fine untill this morning when i started the car, the security light just stays on...i turn it off..and it will stay off for a bit then turn back on.

has any one else experienced this?:(

·
Registered
473 Posts
Did you disconnect your battery before doing all that work? OR Did you plug back everything before you plug in battery?

You might have triggered a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) while you were playing around with the stereo. You can try to reset the computers in the car by disconnecting the battery for a few mins. Disconnect BOTH battery (POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE)...then contact both of them for 2 mins or so.....MAKE SURE THAT BATTERY IS COMPLELETY DISCONNECTED OR HELL MIGHT HAPPEN! BOTH WIRES OUT! Good Luck! If not, you can come by my place and i'll clear the code for you..i have a OBD 2 scanner.

Reactions: CrownINC

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NICE!! Thanks alot bro!! ill let you know what happens.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Did you disconnect your battery before doing all that work? OR Did you plug back everything before you plug in battery?

You might have triggered a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) while you were playing around with the stereo. You can try to reset the computers in the car by disconnecting the battery for a few mins. Disconnect BOTH battery (POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE)...then contact both of them for 2 mins or so.....MAKE SURE THAT BATTERY IS COMPLELETY DISCONNECTED OR HELL MIGHT HAPPEN! BOTH WIRES OUT! Good Luck! If not, you can come by my place and i'll clear the code for you..i have a OBD 2 scanner.

Hi guys,

I hope the stereo installer did not tap into any of the security wires from the stock system.

I doubt that this will problem register within the OBD2 system. You can try to scan it, but I am doubtful, you will see any codes.

There is only 4 codes:
B2795, B2796, B2797, B2798 related to the security light. If you are able to scan these in an OBD2 code reader.

If the old stereo system, was in place, it reads out its own diagnostic codes on the actual stereo display LCD.

The security light is part of the immobilizer system, and constant "On" means to check a few areas.

The best advise is to try and reset the ECM, by disconnecting the battery. If the light returns to a constant on, then check to ensure unplugged wiring harness's are not grounding out on the frame. This can occur at the Amp, ECM or the old stereo harness.

This Security light warning symptom can also indicate a problem with the key transponder coil and how it communicates with the ECM.

This is not a check engine light, it is the security light...correct?

This may require a special scan tool, from the dealer to properly diagnose it. Kind of like airbag codes - a standard OBD2 tool will not read these.

Hope it is something simple, that unplugging the battery will solve. Let us know the result, for future people that encounter the same issue.

Digger08

Oh yeah...check all of your vehicles entry points, Trunk, doors and hood, as well as interior light...as this could potentially cause a code fault as well.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
did you add a remote start?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hate to ressurect an old thread, but I didn't see a resolution here or in a couple other threads I found from searching. I have the same solid security light showing, no other error lights are on, and no stereo or engine mods. So, Crown did you manage to clear your error?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
my securiety light has been on for 4 years. car works fine.

1,800 Posts
Okay, lexi is my drug...i love her so much that every time i touch her i cant put her down...so during the weekend i took out for a session and never put her back due to the amazing weather.

I installed my new stereo system..2 p2 rockford phosgates with rockford amp.

everything seems fine untill this morning when i started the car, the security light just stays on...i turn it off..and it will stay off for a bit then turn back on.

has any one else experienced this?:(
crown, check your remote wire. ensure that its not bridged anywhere

·
Registered
807 Posts
My security light came on dim at first today and within 20 minutes it was bright and solid. IT does not flash unless the car is off in which is gives the standard security blink, but is still on while doing it.

Anyone know anything about seeing if it has a code to it I might can pull? I know the SC has a jumper to the tc terminals to read the code flashes. I was at idle for about ten minutes today, maybe I threw the code that way?

·
Registered
201 Posts
mine started this today. Its been raining all night and when I started the car this morning a speaker sounded like it shorted out and then the security light stayed on while driving and it's on right now with the car off and locked. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this by just unhooking the battery?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
mine started this today. Its been raining all night and when I started the car this morning a speaker sounded like it shorted out and then the security light stayed on while driving and it's on right now with the car off and locked. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this by just unhooking the battery?
You can try resetting the ECU and see if that works. As mentioned, This Security light warning symptom can also indicate a problem with the key transponder coil and how it communicates with the ECM.

Another possibility is that your car may be in valet mode, and this is how to bring your IS back to normal mode: do the following (1) open door (2) Lock-Unlock-Lock ( do it in 3 seconds) (3) close door.

The parj/neutral switch could also be failing and setting a code with the theft module.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
You really shouldn't have to wait any more than 5 minutes to fully reset all the modules. Whether you wait 5 minutes or 5 hours, it will have the same effect. I hear stories that some leave it disconnected overnight and even a few days...there's really no reason for it. To be honest, you could pull the battery cable(s), stomp on the brake pedal a few times, and the whole car will have drained any stored power. Just figured I'd let you or anyone else know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I reconnected the battery after 15 minutes and it's still on. I also followed the steps for valet mode and it hasn't changed. I think theres water getting into my car somewhere because as soon as I turned it on this AM I could hear popping and crackling and now the front speaker doesn't work. I don't know if Im ready to tackle this mess.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I take it you don't notice any dampness, whether near the kick panels or behind the glove box(ie. from windshield)? If the speaker in the driver or passenger door was the one having issues, you may want to check inside the panel if you cannot find any water/dampness in the dash area. You have lock detection wiring that goes directly to the theft module.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone who experienced this figure it out? Mine started about two weeks ago. It started to flash and now it stays on all the time. A few nights ago I got cut off and attempted to use the horn...thats out too along with the cruise control and e-shift buttons. I've never messed with the wiring in the steering column before but I'm guessing thats where I should start. Anyone have any suggestion? Tried the battery and valet solutions posted already...no luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Anyone who experienced this figure it out? Mine started about two weeks ago. It started to flash and now it stays on all the time. A few nights ago I got cut off and attempted to use the horn...thats out too along with the cruise control and e-shift buttons. I've never messed with the wiring in the steering column before but I'm guessing thats where I should start. Anyone have any suggestion? Tried the battery and valet solutions posted already...no luck.
Unfortunately, I am willing to bet you have a spiral cable issue(inside your steering column). Your horn is not related to the cruise control, e-shift, or security system. That circuit is independent and should function regardless of what the security light is doing. The way to troubleshoot this is to check for continuity in the spiral cable harness. I would think you have some open wiring, especially considering the ground for all the functions you mentioned not working is shared by one/two ground wires(meaning one or two wires in your spiral cable would prevent the cruise control, e-shift, and horns not to work). I would be willing to bet also that your 10A HORN fuse(by battery) is still good but I would still check that fuse, 7.5A MPX-B2(passenger kick) fuse and the 7.5A ECU-B2(passenger kick) fuse for the security light. The horn control circuit is also an output from the theft module, so the module may be sensing a dead circuit, not 100% with that(that's why I suggest checking horn fuse). Pretty sure your spiral cable is no good though,

·
Registered
83 Posts
My buddy mentioned the spiral cable to me two nights ago. I've been meaning to research that. Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts