Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've got a wedding I need to attend in February at the Cascadia lodge. I've never driven over the pass in winter let alone a destination in the pass. I'm due for some new tires but I was planning on getting summer rubber. How well will my car get over the pass with or without chains? I'll have chains with me but I don't know if it is a must to have on.

Thanks.

·
5,207 Posts
depends bigtime on the pass conditions. I did it a few times in relatively small amounts of snow on pretty good all seasons and it wasn't terrible. On pure summer rubber though you better hope the pass is pretty much just wet. If its possible I'd recommend keeping an eye on the weather forecast and heading over a day early if it means hitting a easy wet pass vs going over in the snow.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Depending on conditions, you will not do well with summer tires. Pretty much what he said.^

I have winters on currently and struggle every now and then on my trips to the slopes.....i can't imagine how it would be with summer tires.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
If you need some chains let me know, I can hook you up.

- Rob
Toyota of Kirkland (parts)
425-814-1005

I need chains for my VW. Can you help? Just for my OEM 17" wheels. 225/45/17.

I'm having a hard time finding chains for this car. 2012 Jetta Sportswagen TDI.

Some say you can't do chains on the stock 17s and must go down to 16s and others say you can.......:confused:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I drove thru the pass many times, not in my car though. Chains are required depending on the weather, so check the weather ahead of time. Summer tires going through it is a no go. You won't even make it up the hill if there is a little snow on the ground. I highly suggest get winter tires to go thru it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts