Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it me or the dash on the new IS is A LOT higher than the 1st gen. it seems when i drove the car the first time i didn't notice it, but after sitting in it again where i adjusted the seat (driver seat cushion at its lowest setting) i did not like what i saw at all. it had horrible visibility from the driver forward. i've always adjusted the seats where i'm as close the ground as possible to feel what's going on with the car. the first gen has great visibility even with the seats set at the lowest because the dash height is below the drivers shoulders. the new IS has the dash set very high which gives the driver poor visibilty unless you raise the seat settings. i don't know if it was me or maybe i need to be over 6' to see over the dash, but i'm not that far off cause i'm 5'10".

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
dont pretend to be tall... raise the seat....

pedestrial crash protection laws in europe have generally raised hoods... and beltlines of newer cars.... the IS has followed suit...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HoustonLex said:
dont pretend to be tall... raise the seat....

pedestrial crash protection laws in europe have generally raised hoods... and beltlines of newer cars.... the IS has followed suit...
i know about the new pedestrial standards that upcoming european cars has to have. it does bother me though for people who likes their seats as low as possible not because for headroom but driver feel that the new IS can't retain the great forward visbility of the first gen w/o raising the seats.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I haven't noticed the dash being too high. I think the top is just more squared off as opposed to ours which slopes down heavily from the base of the windshield.

But I must ask... how does sitting low allow you to feel the car more??? :suspiciou

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Crester said:
I haven't noticed the dash being too high. I think the top is just more squared off as opposed to ours which slopes down heavily from the base of the windshield.

But I must ask... how does sitting low allow you to feel the car more??? :suspiciou
I dunno but if one is really fat, it might help keep the car's center of gravity low.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Michael said:
You could always sit on a phone book? ;)

Seriously, I know what you mean the dash does seem a bit higher than my ES300 for sure. But I'm 6 1" so it doesn't bother me too much, Heck I wouldn't be too proud to raise the seat for better visibility, that's what it's there for.
The famous jazz musician, Erroll Garner, sat on a New York phone book when he played (piano). He carried one with him when on tour. :)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
bartkat said:
I dunno but if one is really fat, it might help keep the car's center of gravity low.
ROFL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crester said:

i may have to agree about the dash not sloping down like the 1st gen. maybe that's the reason why it feels higher.

sitting low in a car would have the same benefits as why race cars are lower to ground along with the driver. the lower center of gravity of the driver means the travel of information from car to driver is quicker.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
TRDLiquidSilver said:
i may have to agree about the dash not sloping down like the 1st gen. maybe that's the reason why it feels higher.

sitting low in a car would have the same benefits as why race cars are lower to ground along with the driver. the lower center of gravity of the driver means the travel of information from car to driver is quicker.
Yeah but the overall significance of lowering the driving position in the new IS is nothing comparison to the racing cars. If you look at the seating position of the co-drivers in rally cars... many of them are so low now that they can't even see out the windows.

It's the same things with aerodynamics. The wings on the back of a Formula 1 car are NECESSARY for it to perform... but if you put a wing on your IS300... it's obviously just for looks. Even if it does direct airflow... the benefit is probably negligable.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I drove mine home tonight from Huntsville Lexus and I did check and did notice that you are looking down at the road more than with the IS300. I also found that the new white fog lights are much brighter and light up the road better than the old yellow ones.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
bartkat said:
I drove mine home tonight from Huntsville Lexus and I did check and did notice that you are looking down at the road more than with the IS300. I also found that the new white fog lights are much brighter and light up the road better than the old yellow ones.
Congrats man! Miss anything about the 300? Besides the fact it was without VDIM?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Michael said:
Congrats man! Miss anything about the 300? Besides the fact it was without VDIM?
Not really. I took it easy being night and new and all. I just enjoyed the ride. Tomorrow I 'll take it up the mountain and see how it does.

One thing that impressed me is that all the little things that open and close like the cup holders, ash tray, glove box, etc open smootly and slowly when you push on them. Everything is just so smooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts