Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i was going to have to get rid of the IS because of back problems from an accident I was in about a year ago http://my.is/forums/f87/hello-my-friends-its-been-while-372467/

(uncomfortable seats). I searched for and tried many solutions and I ended up purchasing a set of corbeau LG1 seats recommended by John Gabrielson. Can't really see it in the picture but the drivers side was fitted with a hard support for my lumbar spine and the padding in the base is a bit different from corbeau specs. A interior guy thats a family friend did the modification.

To take care of the airbag light problem I used some resistors purchased from radio shack. The load that will prevent the light from triggering is a 3.3 ohm resistor ( not 3.3k ohm for those who are wondering). Most radioshacks do not carry 3.3 ohm resistors so a good solution would be to purchase 3 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistors and connect them in parallel. The easy way to do this would be to hold them in the direction they came out of the box and neatly connect end to end and drop a tip of solder to make sure they are connected properly. After that I just put the two ends into the two holes on the airbag plug and taped it with yellow electrical tape to designate it as the airbag plug. For those of you with bad backs you might want to look into this. The stock IS seats provide room for movement in the back area under harsh driving conditions and really don't provide any support. These corbeau wide seats (with modification) provide the comfort I need.

The finished product (providing you unplugged the battery before starting the install. No airbag light with a 2 $ fix which beats the heck out of ordering that jdm plug from japan

·
Registered
893 Posts
Damn I just read the thread about your accident. Sorry to hear what happend. On another note nice seats.

·
Banned
4,149 Posts
sucks about the accident. hopefully you made a full recovery?
but yes i shall be doing this once i buy my damn seats ahaha

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
That definitley sucks. The seats looks good. Hope you feel better. +rep

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn I just read the thread about your accident. Sorry to hear what happend. On another note nice seats.
Thanks, still a good amount of pain but better than before.

sucks about the accident. hopefully you made a full recovery?
but yes i shall be doing this once i buy my damn seats ahaha
You should check out corbeau. I know people generally like sparco and bride but I think for comfort they are the best.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I'm over it now, just had some bruised ribs. It hurt like hell though..lol. I'm fine now though. Thanks.

·
27,116 Posts
Seats look cool... but are those racing looking seats actually more comfy than the stock IS300 seats?!?!?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seats look cool... but are those racing looking seats actually more comfy than the stock IS300 seats?!?!?
The stock seats are actually very uncomfortable especially if you have a back problem. The biggest problem is the lack of bolsters that are suppose to keep you from shifting in the seat which the stock seats don't have. I have a lower lumbar problem and shifting in the seat doesn't help whatsoever on long trips. Also for us bigger guys the stock seat isn't wide enough . The stock seat also doesn't have a lumbar support like other car seats which is not good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with the stock seats. 8-way power adjustable back pain. No lumbar or lateral support. I bought some procar seats and I've had the airbag light blinking for over a year now. I just read your article, ran down to RadioHut and picked up ten 10-ohm .5w resistors for 1.98+tax. 15 minutes later, the light is gone and I couldn't be happier. Thank you.

One thing to add to the write-up:
The airbag connector is only wide enough to accept one resistor lead, so don't solder them together at the ends, attach two of them further up so that just one lead sicks out about 1/4". You'll have to bend them around a bit, but it works flawlessly.

I can now drive without feeling like a cripple, can corner without ending up in the passenger seat and I don't have to ignore the bastard blinking airbag light. Cuz it's gone.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I believe what he meant is the the 3 resistors are twisted and staggered so only excess of one resistor lead will fit the connector. Personally i would hardwire it in and possibly cut the harness leaving a pigtail. Remember that you need to wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the battery before working on the srs system because it has a short term backup battery.

Something like this but cut the legs of two resistors leaving excess from just the one. Solder on the twist connections wouldn't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
do you have more pictures of the process of making the resistors? and connecting it to the plug?
I mocked this up to show you how it's done. Please ignore the colors in the pic as they are 12 ohm ½ watt resistors that I used just because I had them around. You want (3) 10 ohm ½ watt resistors so the color bands from left to right are brown-black-brown-gold(±5% tolerance), for a 10 ohm resistor(which you may already know). You simply twist all three together, solder the leads and cut two ends off each side, leaving two small leads.. Some members just stick the two resistor leads into each of the two slots of the air bag connector and then tape it up(one resistor lead in one slot and the other resistor lead into the other slot of the connector), the best route IMO would be to either cut the actual air bag male connector off and wire it into the existing wires or cut the female connector(harness side) and solder in the resistors. You are basically putting the resistors in a series loop to fool the SRS system(one resistor lead goes to one of the connector wires and other resistor lead goes to the other wire, harness side).
Tokensolutions makes a device that essentially is the same thing but it is a PNP unit that you just plug into the female harness under the seat. I don't have any spare connectors at the moment otherwise I would take another pic to show you. Hopefully this helps some.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead as I am about to install some aftermarket seats and want to keep the airbag light from coming on. Want to make sure it needs to be 3.3ohm resistor for this to work right on these cars. All these pictures are too old so they wont load so I cant see how to make my own resistor. I suck at wiring and I feel like I would find a way to screw it up hahah anyways.

I found this link for a seat resistors that Bride makes. Bride Air Bag Seat Canceller

Has anybody else used these? Yes, they are $20. But if I can just plug and play these that would be way easier. Unless somebody else wants to update some pictures on how to make a resistor piecing it together like everybody above talks about. Thanks!

·
2,970 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead as I am about to install some aftermarket seats and want to keep the airbag light from coming on. Want to make sure it needs to be 3.3ohm resistor for this to work right on these cars. All these pictures are too old so they wont load so I cant see how to make my own resistor. I suck at wiring and I feel like I would find a way to screw it up hahah anyways.

I found this link for a seat resistors that Bride makes. Bride Air Bag Seat Canceller

Has anybody else used these? Yes, they are $20. But if I can just plug and play these that would be way easier. Unless somebody else wants to update some pictures on how to make a resistor piecing it together like everybody above talks about. Thanks!
Have not used those. But if memory serves me. It only take a 2ohm.

·
Mr. Roo
9,678 Posts

I would contact the seller/maker of that airbag canceler and ask them which option of the 4 the IS needs. Then make your own lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts