Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing I found disappointing when I had my GS400 were the seat heaters. I could hardly tell that they were on and they only had one level. This is contrary to the seat heaters in the german cars which have several different levels of intensity. Are they effective in your IS300? Maybe they are less necessary simply because you're sitting on the section that isn't cold leather. A nice feature found in BMW's and Audis (S4 on up) are the Heated steering wheel. It's a nice feature on a brisk cold day.
Another nice feature is ventilated seats. My father has on his S500 sport. I thought it would be a gimmick, but it actually keeps you feeling refreshed. There are 10 miniature fans that ventilate your bottom and back. The same system is found on the Lexus LS430. It's a totally different principal from the climate controlled seats found in the Lincoln Navigator. One of my friends has a Navigator and the truck sucks (shhhh, don't tell him I said that), but the seats are neat and actually become cold as if you're sitting on a refrigerated seat. Technology these days...

Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
978 Posts
Since it has been getting colder, especially in the morning, I have had a chance to try out my heated seats and they work very well. But within 10 minutes, my behind starts getting too warm and I turn them off. It would be nice to have a setting control on them, but I'm just happy that they do indeed work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree about the GS400. My seats, unless very cold outside, hardly seem on. My father has a '99 STS, and the heated seats (front AND back) are much more effective. Not only that, but all seats have 2 settings, high and low. Even the low is more then my GS400. Needless to say though, I think the high setting in the STS is too much. I think sometimes it get's so hot that it liquifies my turds.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Originally posted by SpectraBlueIS300:
Since it has been getting colder, especially in the morning, I have had a chance to try out my heated seats and they work very well. But within 10 minutes, my behind starts getting too warm and I turn them off. It would be nice to have a setting control on them, but I'm just happy that they do indeed work.
TEG - that sounds like a project mod that you could come up with, maybe using a thermal resistor, or a timer circuit with the 555 i/c. let us know if you are up to the challenge.

[From TEG: Gee thanks for the vote of confidence... Fact is I do NOT have heated seats in my car, and I really don't need them in this area. I find that the cloth seats feel pretty warm even on cold mornings. Since I don't have heated seats, I won't be doing any rewiring related to them.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited November 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Well, the seat heaters aren't supposed to cook your behind...but variable settings don't hurt - the new cars have em. I think even the GS430 has variable settings. Compared to my dad's GS, the IS heaters are more effective...but as someone mentioned, they're really not neccessary unless it's too cold. And even then, after a while they must be turned off.
I guess all cars would have the variable setting heat in the seats...eventually.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Erick, this is kind of off topic, but I am just wondering how you would judge your dad's S-class vs. the new LS430? To me I think S just seem to have more class, but I was fairly impressed with LS when I saw one on the road the other day.
I am just wondering because my dad maybe thinking about them soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Daniel, it all depends upon whether you add value into the equation... The S500 Sport will come to $92K and a LS430 (w/Ultra Luxury Package) will be a couple grand under $70K. I personally think the S500 Sport is far better looking inside & out and gives better performance especially with the 18inch wheel tire package. Read the Motor trend issue of two months ago comparing the S500 Sport to LS430, 740iL, etc... The S500 got straight A's in every category except a B in value. The aging Bimmer camein second and the Lex 3rd. Right here, Right now the Mercedes Benz S500 Sport is the best Luxury sedan on the planet in my opinion.... However it's hard to justify paying 24 big ones over the price of a LS430....
Eric....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
How about the S430 and the reliability of the S-class overall? My dad right now kind of wants to get away from MB because of their rediculous service fee and problems. But this is from the experience with our C230 Kompressor that we bought 1 year or so ago, so I think the S should be better, right?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daniel
I'm assuming the quality of the product should be consistant throughout the model range. My father's friend bought a brand new CL600 coupe back in 1996 and everytime he took the car to get the oil changed they were fixing something. Suffice to say, it was no Lexus as far as reliability was concerned. Keep in mind that the more technologically sophisticated a car is, the more that can go wrong. My dad's had the S500 Sport for a little over a month now and thus far it's been trouble free but you never know. The S430 doesn't have the oooomph that the S500 and Lexus LS430 do, but it's sufficient. As long as your father goes with a 2001 model instead of the 2000 model (which was the first year of the new S-class) then he should be ok. As far as his C230 Kompressor is concerned, keep in mind that the C-class debuted in 1994. The build quality could very well have improved since then, with 2001 S and C class models.... Personally I would go with the S-class, but the LS430 will be more reliable and demonstrates terrific bang for the buck in this class.....
Eric...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Back to the seat heaters for a minute . . .

Living here in FL, I thought that having them would be quite useless. I then read a review of some car (can't remember) that had seat heaters and the reviewer made several comments about the seats' ability to "massage" with the heat.

That was something that I never would have thought about seat heaters. I know that the vehicle being reviewed didn't have "massaging" seats (ie, LS430), just heated ones. (Come to think of it, it may have been the RX300)

Anybody use the heated seats for the "massaging" effect? Can they be usefull for that?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost There,
BMW employs their "Active Seats" as an option in their 7 series BMW. My Mom's bimmer has this $500 option which I consider to be a waste. It's supposed to alleviate fatigue on your spine during long distance travel. It's no where near the massaging seats of my dad's new S500. The Merc has massaging, heating, and cooling seats just like the LS430 does. No other Lexus model has either the massaging or cooling feature....
Eric...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, Eric. . .

Do "regular" heated seats provide any kind of 'massaging' effect, or do they just get hot?

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Almost There:
Thanks for the quick response, Eric. . .

Do "regular" heated seats provide any kind of 'massaging' effect, or do they just get hot?

Thanks,
J
Regular heated seats only get hot.... Therapeutically speaking however, heat will have a soothing effect on your body.(joints in spine, alleviate tension etc) & put you to sleep.. YIKES!.... At least I know my medical school education is of some use...
Eric...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Heaters, I agree Lexus seat heaters are pretty sad, my wife's New Beetle has 5 settings

S Class, I like the exterior of the S Class more than the LS430, but am much more impressed with the LS430's interior. I looked at a S430, and frankly its a peice of junk. Leather is hard, wood lacks glass, very cheap feeling car. Wood and leather are better on the 500 but not by all that much.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
666 Posts
ohhh it would be cool if we could get them massaging seats installed in the the IS. You know those vibrating seats you see in them Sharper Image stores.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The optional seats in the BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, and Lexus LS430 are "massaging seats"..... Not vibrating seats, which could be annoying...
Eric....

·
Registered
666 Posts
damn I should have bought the LS430 so I could get them massaging seats.

I can see it now ....ohhh ahhhh eeeee..
I'd be making funny faces to everyone else when stuck in traffic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts