Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see, the search for the end of - or a pattern to - pi is not so much a functional quest as it is a philosophical one. Nobody wants to leave something unfinished, and once mathematicians and physicists began using the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, they found that while they could get close to the number, they couldn't find it exactly. Now, while what we know is useful and functional from an engineering and physical standpoint, it is not complete, and that feeling of incompleteness is what drives the continued search for some form of conclusion about what kind of a number pi is. They justify the search by saying that it helps them test the accuracy and power of new supercomputers, but that's really a load of crap - a recurring number program would be much more practical for that venture. Periodically there appears to be some type of a pattern to pi, but then again, nobody has found one. Many people believe that the digits appear in a completely random fashion, but that has as of yet not been proven, and it grates against the very fabric of rational scientific thought that a purely mathematical - static and definable - operation could result in a completely random event.

It's because we're still looking for answers to unsolved questions. And that's a damn good thing for people to do.

Does anyone here care or did I just waste 6 minutes?

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
More like I just wasted 30 seconds reading that hogwash.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
I read a book on it in high school for the report I did on Pi. I was more confused after reading the book but really interesting if you like math.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
I enjoy reading up on and working theoretical physics equations in my spare time.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone see the movie, Pi??? I thought it was retarded. but the director's other movie, Requiem for a Dream, was pretty focked up.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
I didn't like Pi, but Requiem was a really good movie.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pi was a great movie I personally thought, it was wacked but you really need to like mathematics to find enjoyment in it. I would love to see Requiem cause it's supposed to be a sick movie.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
is300wk said:
Pi was a great movie I personally thought, it was wacked but you really need to like mathematics to find enjoyment in it. I would love to see Requiem cause it's supposed to be a sick movie.

Ohhhh yea....

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
oneeyejack
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing