Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm shopping for an IS300 right now. there's a couple 2001's i'm eyeballing that has good mileage. here's my problem........i'm 6'5", so legroom is an issue. i went to sit in a 2001 at a dealership earlier today, and its the same as most other cars. i put the seat all the way back and tilt it all the way back, so my legs can straighten out as much as possible. well, the top of my right knee is up against the steering wheel. i just need a little more room so my knee isnt pinned. i could have my seat remounted in the floor a few inches back, but that may cost a little cash and there may be some problems that could arise that i dont know about yet. only other thing is extending the steering wheel. i know you can get like 1 or 2 inch spacers that go behind the steering wheel, and i was wondering if they are made for these cars. i'm in the process of looking right now, but no luck. i just need maybe 2 inches leeway to get my knee off of the steering wheel. looking for any info from knowledgeable and/or tall individuals for some input. i may end up getting one anyways and just deal with it. geez, i used to have a 91 crx, so i know what im getting into. i just want to get rid of my 2000 suburban. $60-$70 fill-ups are painful.......lemme tell ya!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
I am 6'4", 230lbs and I fit fine in my IS. In fact, I find that the IS driver cockpit area offers more leg room than many larger cars even. I have had 2 IS300s in the last 5 years, so that should tell you that it is not much of a problem for me.

Now, rear seating is a different story...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i live in SC and i found one up in raliegh NC, so i wanted to ensure i can fit in one before i spend all that gas to find out i cant fit. i dont feel crammed. like i said, i used to have a crx (though they have a lot more room than everyone thinks). its that my legs are too freaking long and the steering wheel hits the upper half of my knee. my knee brushes it when i use the gas, but my knee pins against the wheel when i reach for the brake. i'm just digging for maybe 2 inches of space.. if the seat bottom is angled full nose up, that lets my legs straighten out as much as possible. but i still hit the wheel, even with it tilted all the way up. if it only had a telescoping wheel, i'd be in business. basically, just curious if anyone makes like wheel spacers for these cars, or any other info that can help. i may just deal with it, like i have before. i've never found a car i can fit in good anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
elliot763 said:
Im 6'3" and I fit fine... you just have to mess with the seat until your comfy.
Folks.. it's not your overall height that matters - it's how long your legs are.

Folks that are tall (over 6') with long torso's and shorter legs will find the IS quite comfortable. Folks with shorter torso's and longer legs will cry about the lack of legroom.

- T

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Ya, my brother is 6'4 with LONG legs and he loves the IS. Fits in it just fine with the seat ALL the way back. He loves it though, i think you just gotta get used to it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
prolly just gonna suck up and deal with it, as usual. thanx for the help. and i happen to be one of those people with short arms and long legs. im just gonna cut my legs off at the knees and be done with it. :p

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Im 6"3 and have the seat mashed to the back. No problem here with comfort. 6"5 now thats a different story.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'm about 6'5" and I fit fine. No worse than any of the other cars I've owned. I think its just something you learn to deal with when you are that tall, most cars weren't built with us in mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MSM5speed said:
I'm about 6'5" and I fit fine. No worse than any of the other cars I've owned. I think its just something you learn to deal with when you are that tall, most cars weren't built with us in mind.
TRU DAT!! aside from my suburban and my mom's F250, i've never been able to properly fit in anything. of course, you can slide almost ANY vehicle seat all the way forward and the front of the seat will almost touch the dash. a circus midget prolly has an easier time finding a vehicle (nothing against midgets). being tall is a dang curse.......nobody makes anything to fit us. :confused:

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'm 6'3'' and I find the front area to ok for me. And yes my legs are fairly long too. Back seat on the other hand is the problem, basically no one will be able to sit behind you, maybe a baby in a childseat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Enough Room

I'm 6'4 with long legs, a short torso and am 265 lbs. and fit fine in the car. The shoes you wear while driving make a huge difference. Try putting lifting the front of the seat bottom up an inch or two. I find it makes it more comfortable. Shoulder room is probably the tightest problem on the left against the pillar.

I usually take my Ford Escape on long hauls, but I drove the IS on a 1,800 mile round trip and was actually more comfortable in the IS. I think its because the seat are much more ergonomically designed.

Happy Shopping!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts