1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
K3RRY said:
i never heard of this "sealant"

what is it and what does it do?

thanks
It's a paint protection "package" that supposedly seals the paint. It's supposed to stay shiny, prevent some oxidation, and protect from UV rays. I think it's a "polymer clearcoat" of some sort applied to the car by the dealer. Usually they sell that on a new car along with Scotchguard on the interior and carpets for around $500 as a dealer added option. Also I think you are supposeed to take the car back once a year for a refresh on the paint protectant.

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
I don't think it's worth it. I figure is't 85% profit to the dealer. It's along the same lines as selling extended warranty, and arranging financing. Dealers sometimes make more on the optional dealer services than they do on the car.

If you're going to keep your car washed and waxed anyway, that's all the protection it needs. $500 will buy a lot of wax.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's all garbage.

They charge hundreds for something that costs them like 5 dollars worth of material and labor. They say their unique treatment will last for years but it works just like any other sealant you can buy from Pep Boys or even K-Mart, for that matter. On top of that, they're paying someone minimum wage to carelessly smear a coat on with a rotary buffer who'll also give you complimentary buffer swirls.

Get something from walmart and pay any 10 year old kid from your neighborhood to apply it; chances are, they'll do a better job than the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.