Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It's been a week since I picked up my silver IS. I picked up mine last Saturday. I was going to apply Zymol Cleaner, but the sales guy told me not to use Zymol yet since you just picked it up. Instead he recommended me to use paint protectant. So I did. Washed it the next day and put Prolong Paint Protectant. It was smooth as silk.

Then today came. I washed it again (since it rained couple days ago and got dusty). Right after work, I went and picked up Zymol cleaner. Washed it and applied Zymol.

Well, here is what I found out. After waxing a small area, the area felt rough. So I looked closely and saw very small particles all over the waxed area. I buffed it for a long time, but couldn't get rid of the rough feel. So I was like what the heck. My girlfriend put wax all over the car and I buffed it like there's no tomorrow. It got shiny, but the car got rough all around.

I know a lot of people here use Zymol. Am I using it wrong? What I did was apply the wax on a small area with 100% cotton towel. Then I took another clean cotton towel and buffed it until didn't see any wax. A lot of people here also said it takes forever to wax the car with Zymol. But it only took me about 30 mins to wax the whole car. Am I not doing it right?

Can someone provide their result using Zymol?
How was the feel of the paint after buffing it? What's the proper use of Zymol. Put some wax on a towel and dab it on a small area and buff it right of way? Or should I leave it on for some time? If so how long? When I left some area with the wax on for a while. The wax got hard and turned into white powder when I buffed it.

TEG or anybody, input please!!!!

Sean

·
Registered
424 Posts
I bet you must have used the economy version of Zymol, ie. the all-in-one solution. I don't have much experience with this one except on my rims. (there are already too much work on the body and so I compromised)

However, for the real Zymol that I have been using for years, if you did the HD-cleanse portion well (HD-cleanse is the Zymol pre-wax cleaner. It is required at least for the first time when you apply Zymol wax to ensure proper bonding) and there is not imperfection (oxidation, paint dusts, minor surface abrasion), the surface should be as smooth as silk. Mine has Zymol applied a month ago and yesterday it was raining. You can see the whole car is covered with very tiny water beads with some sliding if the angle of the surface permits. For the hood, you will see a few area with any water beads as it is so water repellent.

Besides, 30 mins for the real Zymol application is impossible.

Even before applying the real Zymol, a proper HD-cleanse application should already make you car smooth and shine. The wax is just to preserve the state. Make sure you don't apply the HD-cleanse or the Zymol wax to the whole car before buffing it. You have to apply on section by section and buff them at a time.
http://www.zymol.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used Zymol Cleaner, one in blue and bought it for $12.99 at Schucks. I heard somewhere there's cleaner and conditioner, but I wasn't able to find the conditioner.
The cleaner took me about 30 mins today to do the whole body. It keeps on leaving the white flakey stuff which sticks to the crevices. I hate it.

Anybody know where to get one other than off the internet?

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is absolutely no white flakery stuff left on the car in any stage of the Zymol wax and pre-wax (HD cleanse) application.

The one you are using is a differnt one with differnt result.

Look at http://www.zymol.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
AndyL,

Have you noticed when you put the wax on, it makes the paint darker (we were using Japon)? It's not at all noticable when viewed from normal angles (i.e. looking down at the hood). But, at angles less than 3 degrees (squat by the fender and look across the hood) I notice areas where it's darker, like more of the wax was soaked into the paint. The only correlation I can think of is the color difference of a sponge when it's dry then wet. Still the same color, just a little darker.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi PXM,

No, I didn't notice the deeper color in my IS as it's in Silver

However, I know what you are talking because I noticed a similar thing when I applied Zymol to my old dark blue camry (and the black window frame of the IS)

I guess it's due to the shine from the fresh paint after applying Zymol. The Zymol helps bringing the true color to the surface.

On the other hand, if you actually refer the dark areas to be the wax-spotted areas, then it's more likely you need a re-buff coz` you applied too much Zymol wax at one time. (As all we know, there is no real saturation of Zymol wax. You can theoretically apply as many layers of Zymol wax as you like. But only a little of Zymol wax is needed for each application or saturation may occur.

Besides, as you may already know, Zymol bonds with the paint when air acts as a catalyst.

Yes, I am using Japon as well. In fact, for Japanese cars, Japon is much suitable than Carbon. I was told at one point by Zymol that if you look from a microsope, Japon asborbs much better than Carbon in Japanese paint.

Besides, have you though about using Concour or Platinium (made for Beverly Hill Motoring by Zymol) ? I notice that the result is even better.

Andy

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi PXM,

Since you apply Zymol Japon, did you find any paint dusts on the body of your IS ? I did. Just for the big ones, there is one on each of the rear door, one on the roof.

I don't think those surface have been repainted in the factory, though.

Besides, I think Silver may be a difficult color to be examined by paint dusts during inspection.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for the info. I think saturation occurred. The darkness is inconsistent, very streaky.

I never considered the other Zymol waxes. I haven't used Zymol previously and figured Japon was created specifically for Japanese paints so I couldn't go wrong. I also bought blitz wax that I use on another car. So it'll be a while before I buy any more waxes. How quickly do you go through an 8 oz jar?

To answer your other question regarding dust particles, I wasn't paying attention when the saturation started occurring. I'll check tonight and let you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
PXM
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing