Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my IS 250 way below average because I use public transportation for my work commute. I would like to take my car in based on mileage, but Lexus recommends a check up based on mileage or months - whichever comes first though. If you don't drive the car as much, do you think it's important to get service based on months driven? For example, my next scheduled maintenance should be the 12 months or 10,000 miles. Right now, I'm at 6k miles but at 18 months. No signs of any problems.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I drive my IS 250 way below average because I use public transportation for my work commute. I would like to take my car in based on mileage, but Lexus recommends a check up based on mileage or months - whichever comes first though. If you don't drive the car as much, do you think it's important to get service based on months driven? For example, my next scheduled maintenance should be the 12 months or 10,000 miles. Right now, I'm at 6k miles but at 18 months. No signs of any problems.
It really depends on your type of driving.

If you drive 6k miles every 18 months, and those miles are a lot of very short trips, where the engine never reaches operating temp for any amount of time to burn off contaminants in the oil and such, you should be getting your oil changed every 3 months regardless of mileage.

If you drive 6k miles every 18 months, and those miles are all longer highway trips when you do make them, you should put synthetic oil in there and change once a year (and to be honest could probably go with 1 oil change every 2 years if you at least changed the filter every 10k miles or so).

As far as the rest of the scheduled service items I'd suggest:

Brake fluid every 2 years, regardless of mileage.

Spark plugs at 60k, or after 5 years.

Coolant at 100k, or 10 years.

Air and cabin filters I'd probably change based on the mileage in the manual, and do those yourself, they take 5 minutes and you'll pay a fraction of what a dealer hits ya for on those.

That's pretty much the total of anything you need for schedule maintenance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.