Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to meet the few IS guys that showed up to this past weekend event. The results of Sunday's run has been posted.

For those that are interested, the next SCCA event is this Sunday 4/13 in Joliet, IL at Route 66 Raceway. It is quite fun. More details for 4/13 event is linked below.
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/2008/images/event1_flyer.pdf

Results from the learning curve are at the link below.
Chicago Region, SCCA - Solo Events

Megz, what did you do to get those quick times? If you had race tires, it would have comparable time as our instructor. I was told race tires is a 3 seconds improvement.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I knew Megz didn't have race tire. I was saying that if he did, he would likely experience a 3 second improvement, putting him right next to our instructor's time.

I looked at your time and I noticed you improved a great deal from your initial run. Great job. Now you just have to un-learn what our instructor demonstrated.....stay off the cones.

What kind of tires do you have and how much drop is in your car? Did you run out of camber with that aggressive drop?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have nearly bald stock potenza's out back and continental ContiExtremeContact up front. A set of sticky tires out back would help alot.

The reviews on the continentals stated a very weak sidewall and I certainly felt it on the track... I could feel the tires giving up and the nose push alot in certain corners.

Here's a link to the Continentals tirerack page:
Continental ContiExtremeContact

I kept all my suspension settings the same as I run it on the street since it feels great on the street. It's dropped roughly 2", and my dampers were not set extremely high. If I run this weekend I am going to keep a watchful eye on tire pressure and stiffen up the dampers on the coilovers and see how it handles.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Lol, I dont know what I did...I'm pretty surprised as to how well I did also. All I have done to my car is cross drilled rotors, ceramic pads and strut bars. My first run was like 55.4, second was 53.5, the third and best was 51.9 and then it all went downhill from there. I kept pushing the car too hard.
As far as tires, I have 225/45/17 pirelli p6's up front and 235/45/17 bridgestone potenza RE730 in the rear.
Maybe I did so well cause I daydream of driving like that every day.
I had so much fun. You could never push your car to the limit like that on street.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Megz also ran in the second heat. I heard many people talk about the extra rubber on the track from all of us in the first heat.

It was also kind of cold when we ran, as the day progressed it may have helped keep some heat in the pavement.

Great runs though! I wouldn't think some rubber and slightly better track conditions would yield -3 second lap run times but who knows... we're all newbs at this point.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the weather is not helping with this weekend's event.

I won't be there. See you guys in future events.

Reefer, I think it was our instructor who told me about the 3 seconds improvement with race tires.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looks like the weather is not helping with this weekend's event.

I won't be there. See you guys in future events.

Reefer, I think it was our instructor who told me about the 3 seconds improvement with race tires.
Last I checked they had snow scheduled for Sunday so I think I'm gonna sit this one out too.

See you in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts