Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boost Controllers Comparison - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Pretty good read. I was searching around and seeing if I want to go electronic or mechanical and came across this. I searched but didn't see it on here and figured it could be useful to some.:cool:

Funny that some of the $600 ones weren't any better than the ball-spring valve! Haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the Greddy Profec-B boost controller. I really like the fact that it's 1 button to switch between high boost and low boost.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The article is kinda crappy.. I was hoping they would offer actual boost curves and how each boost controller performed.

Anyhow, a boost controller is never a one size fits all type of part... In most cases, a ball valve will work for most internal wastegate turbo setup running moderate boost levels.

Once you reach higher boosts, higher exhaust back pressures, maximizing other components of the turbo system (downpipe too small, cat is not flowing well enough, turbo is starting to run out of efficiency range), then a good electronic boost controller saves the day. Gain control, RPM inputs, and dual port wastegate control is meant to combat boost drop, spiking and keep boost consistent through different weather conditions. A manual boost controller can never perform like an electronic boost controller under those conditions.

For really high boost setups (25+ PSI), most of the wastegates out there rarely offer base wastespring springs more than 18 PSI. It will be difficult to run an MBC and stretch the boost levels significantly higher. General rule is to never exceed 1.5x the pressure of the base spring rating (ie: 18 psi spring should run no more than 27 PSI) or unexpected boost curves will result. An MBC can only control the lower wastegate port, and it cannot increase the physical spring pressure of the base WG spring. Also by running such a stiff base wastegate spring, boost will hit really hard and often spike a lot. Big turbos, high boost and spiking spells disaster.

An electronic boost controller can run dual port, by feeding the top WG port with boost pressure to further stiffen the valve and keep it close for really high boost pressures. So really, it can stretch a base WG spring of say 12 PSI, and manage itself up to 25+ PSI without too much problems. Anytime I have guys coming in here for setups over 20 PSI, they can throw their manual boost controllers in the trash can (ball-valve, Hallman, whatever)..lol

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
In an earlier post of yours I suggested this one. Looks like a good call :approve:

Blitz SBC i-D
Pro: Super-smooth interface, great display options, works awesome.
Cost: $669

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^jaja, si senor.

+rep for the good suggestion:cool:

Edit: gotta spread the love. Till next time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts