Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my deposit down a couple of weeks ago, and was told the boat will be in Long Beach
this Saturday. My sales guy says I could easily get it before September, but I'm
thinking Labor Day weekend so I can sleep nights! Sold my old car last week and called
my sales guy and he offered a loaner until my IS is in! Guess what - it's a silver RX300!
So now we have my wife's gold one and my loaner side by side in the garage for a
couple of weeks. Lexus Carlsbad is really cool to do this for me.

Decided to not hold out for the LSD, given the probable extra wait and the "limited" use
to which I'd put it. My ten year old son has been drooling over the car and is now talking
about how when he starts driving in six years he wants it :).

Anyway, some questions:

Octane. Neat how lexus.com fails to mention this (although you gotta know it
needs premium). Ping sensor or no, I can't see using 89 to save a couple pennies.
Opinions?

I could search out reviews, I suppose, but perhaps someone can just tell
me - what'll it do on a skidpad?

How good is aftermarket titanium tinting? The factory gold tint on our RX is
so fine. What do you think would look nice with SBM? I'm not looking to
go drug-dealer-dark. Any recommendations for local tint shops?

Anyone know how to get into the programmable parameters? When we got the RX
they kindly enclosed all the maintenance command menus with the manual.
I still have to ask how to actually get into the menu mode!

What wax are people liking? I use Meguiar's Gold to good effect now, but my
buddy uses Blitz and it's really nice.

Leather care? I have used Lexol for a while now and have no complaints...

Financing. I can pay cash, but am more than willing to leave the money in the
bank for a month or so earning interest, especially if I can finagle some
kind of consideration from the finance guy in order to get my load business.
Anyone get any perks out of the backend deal? I figure I will at least get a
choice of a couple of nice Lexus keychains from the Parts department!

I'm sure I'll have more topics later. Driving an RX loaner is not so bad, but I'm
sure looking forward to my new IS with five or six miles on it!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>> Octane. Neat how lexus.com fails to mention this (although you gotta know it needs premium). Ping sensor or no, I can't see using 89 to save a couple pennies.
>> Opinions?

Definately follow the Lexus recommendations. Lexus doesn't make any money off of gasoline sales, so they have no reason to suggest an ocatane other than what is best for the car.

The knock sensors might be able to help some if you use lower octane, but there still may be some minor pinging that could be harfmul to the car in the long run.

>> I could search out reviews, I suppose, but perhaps someone can just tell me - what'll it do on a skidpad?

approx .84g http://www.autosite.com/new/grabbag/perform/2270.asp

>> Anyone know how to get into the programmable parameters? When we got the RX they kindly enclosed all the maintenance command menus with the manual.
>> I still have to ask how to actually get into the menu mode!

What parameters? Please explain further!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

At least on the RX we got in April, both the salesman and the finance guy talked about being able to change the operating parameters of a large number of software-controlled car behaviors. When the RX was delivered an hour later, the manual set included a photocopied couple of pages of tables that showed all those parameters. Lots are things you wouldn't care to change, or are less comprehensible, but some affected how long lights stayed on, lock behavior, dim levels, etc. Much the same list I thought I saw recently in another article on this forum...

My hope would be that similar parameters would be available for the IS, and that the method of accessing them would be public knowledge. But I don't know that to be true. You act as though it isn't?

Neither person acted like they were going to enclose a detailed reference only to refuse to disclose the method used to access its features, so the fact that they didn't tell me is undoubtedly an oversight. I just have to remember to ask the next time I'm at the Lexus store. So far that's been tough, as I have been so focused on getting my new IS!

=====
>> Anyone know how to get into the programmable parameters? When we got the RX they kindly enclosed all the maintenance command menus with the manual.
>> I still have to ask how to actually get into the menu mode!

What parameters? Please explain further!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well my guess is that you need special Lexus "software" and some sort of special "serial cable" to connect a PC to your Lexus to change those settings.

But I am just speculating here... I have never seen anyone do it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I compiled a list of programmable items that were mentioned in the owner's manual. It is not complete. It sounds like what you have is what I was looking for to complete the list (basically more details). Here's the link to that topic: http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum1/HTML/001737.html

I was hoping one of the techs here could fill in some of the 'holes'.

On my previous car, I used Lexol on the leather and Meguiars Medallion on the paint with great results. According to Meguiars, the Mdeallion lasts a little longer than the Gold Class, but GC has a better shine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts