Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked one up from futureshop over the boxing week sale. I ended up picking up the Sansa E250, which is the 2GB version with an expandable MicroSD card slot. The price of the units were $50 off the regular price, so with tax came up to $90 and change which I think is reasonable considering it has video playback in quicktime format and not that crappy .AMV format.

My Review:

I was impressed with the unit's performance and the LCD display. I was however a little disappointed with the video playback. The Sansa comes with a conversion tool that converts different video formats to quicktime files. If any of you are familiar with quicktime format, you would know just how HUGE a file is, not memory efficient. Also to add that video playback did not fill up the entire screen, and only filled about half. I also quickly learned that photos and videos can only be accessed if they are on the internal memory of the unit; pictures and videos that you store on the memory card will not be recognized. I was really disappointed with this since having only 2 GB internal memory with HUGE quicktime files was very limiting.

Anyhow I searched around on the net for a bit and came across Rockbox. It's a third party made operating system for the unit. No final version is out But bugs are very minimal (Haven't come across one yet) if you stick with the offical releases. Best of all, its completely free! To cut to the chase installing Rockbox has made this unit a whole new MP3 player. There is a huge improvement in sound quality and video playback. Also Mpeg format (1 & 2) are now recognized! Which gives me MUCH smaller video files that actually file the entire screen! Rockbox is customizable from the fonts to the different color backgrounds and themes you use. Best of all, video and photos can be stored on BOTH internal memory and memory cards.

I highly suggest those who want more out of their mp3 players to check out Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware
If you are not afraid about tinkering around with computers then definately give this a try. Rockbox is compatible with many different mp3 players from Toshibas, to Sandisks to even Ipods. Check it out definately worth it.

BTW...I put pics of my Lexy Altezza and pics of some car meets on the unit. I guess this makes this topic not totally irrelevant lol.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
The SanDisk Sansa E200 series are alright. I bought the e280 for my gf before. It was a bit buggy thought. Occasion it would like to not start up. I found the rotating thumb wheel's actuation to be not smooth and much less than desirable. If you want a PMP, I would recommend the Creative zen 4/8 GB.

For a 2.5" LCD unit, this model is pretty compact. If you want a MP3 only, the Creative Zen V/V Plus series are pretty good.

It is almost keychain size, has relative high capacity (upto 8GB), relatively cheap ($120 for 8GB), and has a scratch resistant screen. I also like the iAudio Cowon D2.

This thing has a 2.5" touchscreen almost a year before the itouch came into existence, and is microSD expandable. iAudio is generally accepted to be an high-end brand, with better than average sound quality. I think the headphone output is around 75mWatt, which is much higher than most.

Reactions: jahnIS300

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ nice seems you know your stuff about these things. I actually am not a big fan of the creative Zen series. The Sandisk scroll wheel does feel a bit rough...but it does loosen up with some use, and its not so bad now. Trust me though, the functionality and the quality of the Sansa e200 series is so much better with rockbox, its really a completely new player.

As for the Cowon, I actually wanted one of those, but I heard they don't sell them here? Perhaps at pacific mall? I really wanted to pick one of these up though.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Lemme know if you still want the Cowon. iAudio does have distribution in Canada.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
It's cool that many other companies are making good audio/video players now because it forces Apple to be more competitive. Jahn, does your player look like the pic I posted above? How come you went with the SanDisk as opposed to the iPod series?

One of my friends bought a Samsung with a touch screen... and it is very nice as well.

If I was to get another mp3 player myself it would be the iPod touch. I just can't get over how unique its' interface is. But seeing how I primarily use my iPod as a jukebox in the car... I can't justify buying it since my "classic" is still working.

Check out this accessory for the SanDisk Sansa series. You can dock your Sansa directly into the headphones giving you "cordless" headphones.

Reactions: jahnIS300

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer your question Crester. That is the one I have. I really didn't want to get an ipod really, just cuz of that fact that EVERYONE has an Ipod. A lot of other brands are actually better quality than ipods. The only Ipod I would get would be the Itouch, but I would never pay that much money for one.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW Crester...that is quite an accessory. Never seen anything like that haha. I wonder how big the headphones are in person.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts