Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cruised down to SD for the car show today. It amazes me how clueless the "exhibitors" are these days. When I sat in the new Toyota Solara, I noticed the gearshift was similar to the SMT in the MR2 Spyder and asked the exhibitor if the Solara indeed came with a SMT this year. She thought about it for a few secs before going "sure." When I tried to reiterate that I meant a true SMT and not an auto with paddle shifting (planetary gears, torque converter, etc), she just had a blank look on her face.

Also, just to fuel the flames of rumor, the Lexus exhibitor told me the same schwag that's been makin the rounds as far as the 2005 IS. She claimed they're comin out with a full production of the IS430 (yeah, right), all wheel drive (sure, sure), and a 2dr coupe (heard that before, too).

I'm not tryin to perpetuate rumors here, but I just thought y'all would like to know that the same rhetoric of rumors is still makin the rounds, with nothing definitive. Guess we'll all hafta wait until later this year to find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Obviously, the new IS WASN'T introduced at Detroit. Chicago in February is HIGHLY unlikely. Geneva (Switzerland) in March, on the other hand, seems like a good bet, with a U.S. intro in New York in April. Otherwise, the next major auto shows are Paris in September and then the next Detroit in January 2005.

·
Registered
31 Posts
GGP_of_HB said:
Also, just to fuel the flames of rumor, the Lexus exhibitor told me the same schwag that's been makin the rounds as far as the 2005 IS. She claimed they're comin out with a full production of the IS430 (yeah, right), all wheel drive (sure, sure), and a 2dr coupe (heard that before, too).
With the Infiniti G35 now featuring all-wheel drive and of course the coupe, this would be a natural progression for the IS. Unfortunately Toyota doesn't currently have a rear/all-wheel drive automobile-based platform like Infiniti does in the FX models. Of course Toyota is the world's richest automobile manufacturer so anything is possible. Anybody hear of any other models that may share such a rumored platform?

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Zinger said:
Unfortunately Toyota doesn't currently have a rear/all-wheel drive automobile-based platform like Infiniti does in the FX models... Anybody hear of any other models that may share such a rumored platform?
Toyota/Lexus does now (or will soon). The 3rd-generation/2006 Lexus GS V6 just introduced at the Detroit Auto Show will be available in both RWD and AWD versions. (GS430 V8 is RWD only, at least for now). This same platform, in a shorter version, will also be used on the 2nd-generation IS (which will be available in sedan, coupe, convertible, and, maybe, wagon/Sportcross body styles, as well as AWD versions), and a rumored new Toyota Supra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.