Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a manual 2002 is300 with 34,000 original miles on it.

My reason for posting this thread is so I can walk through each step along the way of restoring this to factory condition and possibly through some reasonable daily driver mods. Thanks for coming along on this journey with me and if I can be of any help to you during or after I build please let me know. Feel free to take advantage of the (downloads) I posted at the top of this forum. {repair/service manuals}

I've been researching all the costs involved with fixing the frame and bumper covers. Luckily I've had plenty of time to find out what my best options are.

Currently the only custom thing on the car is lower springs which due to the wreck are causing a bad clearance problem. I just purchased used springs (all 4) from 2kracing out of Reseda California ($55 shipped to my door). I searched google and found them in a craigslist article.

It appears I can salvage the hood but the fenders and front bumper cover will need to be replaced. The car runs fine but has been in two collisions (front and rear)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just curious how much did you pay for it?
I paid 3800 for it. My Brothers wife wrecked it many years ago and they've had it in storage for 3 years... I asked about it and they said if I had the money to fix it up they'd give me a deal..... Do you think 3,800 is a good deal?

I think I'll have approx 800-1000 just in frame 1200 in body work and paint... totaling 6,000 investment? I think that's not bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I expect future problems?

I am wondering that since it was wrecked can I expect to have problems in the future? I've never rehabbed a car so it would be nice to know before I get in too deep.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MRR HR4
These are the wheels I want to put on... Whatcha Think? I'm thinking at higher speeds on the highway they'll look as if they're spinning backwards.

OR I was going to do a wheel in the same family
HR5 which has only five spokes... no lip... I like!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think its a good deal if you have the time and money to spend on it. You planning to do the mods/repairs yourself?
I appreciate your honesty because I've been debating for awhile. I was afraid of dumping more money in a car that I know the frame is twisted a little...

I do have the time and money but I don't want to drop more than 2.5k into it.

HAS ANYONE HAD A FRAME PULLED AND IT WAS A LASTING SUCCESS?

I'm afraid of future problems and I've never salvaged a car.

We'll be pulling the frame back in line this weekend and taking notes on parts we need.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I appreciate your honesty because I've been debating for awhile. I was afraid of dumping more money in a car that I know the frame is twisted a little...

I do have the time and money but I don't want to drop more than 2.5k into it.

HAS ANYONE HAD A FRAME PULLED AND IT WAS A LASTING SUCCESS?

I'm afraid of future problems and I've never salvaged a car.

We'll be pulling the frame back in line this weekend and taking notes on parts we need.
1.5 years and going. I got hit on the rear passenger door awhile back and they pulled the frame and it looks better then new lol. If you look under the car you can't even tell anything happened. Also make sure you have a good reputable shop doing the work with the proper equipment then you should be fine!

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi,i have a 02 , if the repairs are done the right way , you should not have any problems, i have some hard time to find some signs of impact or repairs on mine. the car totally worth it i think!
so good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.