Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my firends dad fixes cars up and he said that he saw a 2003 Is300 at an auction with 25000 miles withright hand side damage not that bad for around 2500$ and he can fix it up for around a grand.. now should i do that and buy a turbo or spend 17000$ for a 01 with 45000 miles.
i don't know if that is a good idea

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That's up to you. Savage title car will have hard time getting comp/coll coverage thru mainstream insurance company. Also resell value of course will suck but if you are getting is300 for $4000. that's a good deal. hopefully the repair will be quality work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya he does really good work he had a caddilac dts and it was smashed up all over the drivers side and now it looks amazing and his wife drives it so i know he does really good work cuz ive seen it

·
Registered
661 Posts
$2500? Thats really cheap, I would go for it, if you dont like it, you could probably sell it for more than you put into it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would buy it. a lot of people buy smashed cars from the US, fix them here and sell the for a few grand cheeper than one that wasn't smashed. Good buisness to get into but lots of headaches!

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had a salvaged nissan altima before. outside of well knowing there had been damage before it ran fairly well.

you can easily get insurance on them. i was able to get it through AAA with no problem. my dad drives a salvage acura MDX and he got insurance through them as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i'm trying to jump on it fast so i get it its not exaclty the color i wanted but what can u do its silver i kinda wanted white blue or black

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
tt_350z said:
ya i'm trying to jump on it fast so i get it its not exaclty the color i wanted but what can u do its silver i kinda wanted white blue or black
Heck, if your comfortable with the price, have a good body shop man, i'd say go for it. Then you'll also have left over $$ for boost. :cool: If you decide on this, keep us posted and pics when the car is all done. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
for that price it sounds like a good deal, but I think a salvage title could void your warranty as well....depends on the dealership I guess.

·
Registered
661 Posts
polvo said:
for that price it sounds like a good deal, but I think a salvage title could void your warranty as well....depends on the dealership I guess.
I guess you cant expect Lexus to warranty a car thats been declared a total loss. Besides, a $4500 IS300 is so cheap that anything that goes wrong should be fixed out of pocket since the car has been put together by a 3rd party.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hell, just buy the car and fix it. If your figures are correct, you will have less than $5K in the car....then sell it on ebay. I have seen salvage title cars on there go for more than $10K....then put the money you made toward a non salvage IS. ( that is if the salvage title worries you)

*Hmmm...If you dont buy it let me know...I might!

·
Registered
354 Posts
^^ Well speaking from experience, DONT DO IT. Currently I own a 2002 Salvaged IS. I really do love the car for all it is, but I wish I would have waited a couple of months and have bought a clean title vehicle. Its a bunch of headaches and problems which are going to come down the road. My father's friend also was the one who rebuilds cars after they have been wrecked. He mainly works on BMW's, Mercedes, and Porsche's but all I have to say is that dont be a dumbass like me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
it totally depends on the condition of the car. some of them are still declared a total loss, if they are stolen and not recovered before the claim was paid off, etc.

if it has water damage that is bad. lexus might still warranty things in it, i know the acura dealer still handles my father's acura, and it has a salvaged title. never had anything go wrong with it either, but make sure youknow what you are getting into .

·
Registered
796 Posts
who_done_it said:
^^ Well speaking from experience, DONT DO IT. Currently I own a 2002 Salvaged IS. I really do love the car for all it is, but I wish I would have waited a couple of months and have bought a clean title vehicle. Its a bunch of headaches and problems which are going to come down the road. My father's friend also was the one who rebuilds cars after they have been wrecked. He mainly works on BMW's, Mercedes, and Porsche's but all I have to say is that dont be a dumbass like me.
agreed, but my plan would be to sell it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts