Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I finally became the proud owner of a custom Inca Gold 2002 IS300 w/e-shift. I bought the car from a friend in Florida and it has a rebuilt title. I am trying to register it in NY and spoke to someone at the DMV today about the registration process. He said after I fill out all the paperwork showing I bought the car, and apply for registration in NY, I need to fill out a salvage application to have the car inspected to determine whether its road-legal. Then, he said it could take up to 6 months to get an appointment date. I was wondering if anyone had any experience w/this and why it would take so long, any way to speed it up, and if that was actually true. Thanks in advance
P.S. I didn't post this in the Northeast section because I just want anyone w/info on getting a rebuilt title in any state, just to get an idea. Thanks.
Z

sorry, if it doesn't make total sense, its late and i'm beat, but i hope ya can get the jist of it

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I'm not sure about the law in NY. But when I was in high school.. I bought a salvage Civic. :crazy: it's was pretty easy to register with the DMV. Once I had the car repaired (very minor accident) I went to the DMV (no appointment necessary at the time) ... a DMV inspector came out... gave the car a real quick once over..and gave me a certificate that said that my car was deemed 'safe' ... it was simple. took me 1 day (after getting the car repaired of course) to register the car and get my plates... by that afternoon.. I was cruising around with my new 'salvage' car. :lol:

now..insurance on the other hand..is a different story. :crazy:

·
Registered
643 Posts
i been in the same situation, but the appointment was only a week from the day i called for an inspection, not anywhere near six months. just go ahead and call and see what happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.