Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bank 2, Sensor 2 O2 sensor is located right underneath the car... and it plugs in underneath the passenger seat area inside the car. To replace that O2 sensor you gotta get underneath the interior carpet to plug it in.

I've been told of another option where you just splice the new sensor into the original wires UNDERNEATH the car! This would obviously be much cheaper to do since you don't need to remove anything in the interior.

Do you think this is safe tho? Or as long as the splice connection is properly sealed... it should be okay?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Crester should be perfectly safe as long as the terminals on the battery are disconnected. I wish I knew this information a lot soner. I only found out about splicing 02 sensors after I bought 2 brand new ones for the boost build.

Go for it :approve:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The Bank 2, Sensor 2 O2 sensor is located right underneath the car... and it plugs in underneath the passenger seat area inside the car. To replace that O2 sensor you gotta get underneath the interior carpet to plug it in.

I've been told of another option where you just splice the new sensor into the original wires UNDERNEATH the car! This would obviously be much cheaper to do since you don't need to remove anything in the interior.

Do you think this is safe tho? Or as long as the splice connection is properly sealed... it should be okay?
I spliced mine in. The Bosch generic comes with wire protectors. It really is no big deal. Just ensure if you go this route you get the wire cross over instructions. If you have an OEM with harness, then you paid big bucks and may as well do it the right way.

Digger08

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it should be okay as long as the wire connection is sealed properly, eh? I've spliced wires before... but was nervous because this is underneath the car and will be exposed directly to Mother Nature.

Digger... the sensor that you spliced in... was it underneath the car or in the engine bay?

Looks like there's a huge savings in money and effort by just splicing in Bank 2, Sensor 2. I saw the D-I-Y for it on this forum... and the guy was taking out his seat... pulling up carpet... etc.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Bank 2 Sensor 2 is the one underneath the passenger seat.

As you can see by this picture (Bank 1 and 2 - sensor 1's)

If you remove the seat, this is only necessary to keep the harness plug in tact.

As I actually cut the wires this is not necessary. The Bosche comes with a weather proof sealed box were you would put the sliced lines. I then tucked this box under the little skid plate. You will have to get a little creative here so leave some slack.

Digger08

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went to Bullock City today and got my O2 sensor replaced.

Andy cut the wire underneath the car... and installed a Denso O2 sensor. He heatshrink wrapped the individual wire connections... then wrapped the wires collectively two times with grease placed inside the wrap. Also there's not too much slack... so the wires don't hang down. Looks like the connection was done well... and should stand up to the elements. Also... no CEL so far. Before I couldn't drive more than 20kms without the CEL coming back on again.

In regards to price... I got charged less than half the price the Lexus dealer would have charged for the same job. Those bastards wanted $55 to just turn off the CEL. $55 freaking dollars... just to reset a CEL light... how moronic. If anybody here is willing to pay that... please... by all means... bring your car to me... and I'll do it for $40. :rolleyes:

So... if anybody else needs to change their Bank 2, Sensor 2 O2 sensor... don't bother taking out your seat... pulling up your interior carpet... etc. Just splice it underneath the car... seal the connection properly... and enjoy the extra hours you saved.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I was only able to drive 2.9 kilometers, and then it turned on like clockwork!

Glad to hear you had it resolved. Extra pleasure in driving now, without that light staring you in the eye. I actually adjusted my steering wheel to block it before I fixed it.

DIgger08

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
its $55 cause the computer says its a .5 hour job.

They gotta go by the book !

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't care about "the book"... I'm not paying somebody $55 to push one button. It will take him a total of 30 seconds to do it.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I don't care about "the book"... I'm not paying somebody $55 to push one button. It will take him a total of 30 seconds to do it.
The labor book is the law. It is required for fair business practise and necessary.

Crester knows better and is informed, many other customers are not, and expect to pay to have it done for them.

Difference - Dealer comes with a warranty and assumes the risk on repairs
Crester comes with no warranty and assumes his own risk

This is a value proposition.

Tools and training cost a dealer money. They are a profit driven center like anyone else. Most are independant franchisees, and are skilled at exploiting the consumer for money (I am exagurating this slightly).

Digger08

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Pushing the one button on a 10 000 dollar machine is what cost $55 . It can be done on a $100 one also but kia makes cars also.
LOL

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
haha, gotta love E-TAS.

You can run that pc over and it would still work.
You can lace it with bullets and it would still work.
You can attempt to blow it up and it would still work.

No wonder Y it cost $10 000 LOL

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anybody get a picture of this $10,000 machine?

Regardless of how much this magic machine costs... I still can't get over how much they charge for some of things they do at the dealership.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I think were still talking about a simple OBD2 scanner aren't we?

Thats just what they charge to do this. Minimum 1/2 shop rate.

Their scanner is probably a a full diagnostic break out box, that has this ability, but really, its just a simple OBD2 scanner required for O2 codes.

Diggre08

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
We have 2 scanners. The simple OBD2 device and the full blown bulletproof laptop.

Most of the time we use the laptop since it can just do pretty much do everything.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pics of the bullet-proof computer?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
gotta take em.

but its gonna look real suspicious !

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wanna see what this $10,000 machine looks like...

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
it looks like a regular laptop with a 15 inch touchscreen.

but its protected by thick plastic around it. Look up those army laptops. Its pretty much the same thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts