Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm running aftermarket HU (kenwood DDX7019) on stock amp and speakers.
EQ of the unit has 3 bands Bass Midd and Treble. And each of them have adjustable frequency, level and Q factor. Level is understandable but what means frequency and Q factor. And the questions is what's the optimal settings of this parameters without hurting the speakers

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
frequency is...well frequency.
Q is the bandwidth of the filter. higher Q i equals a narrower bandwidth. low Q equals a wider bandwidth.

just listen to the music (preferably a track you've heard a gazillion times...and hopefully on a good stereo)...if you think it's too bass heavy then pull the level of the bass control back a bit and adjust the frequency up and down until it starts to clear up and sounds the best. once you've settled on a frequeny then try playing with the Q...adjusting up and down until sounds better.

now do the same with the mid and high frequencies (if needed).

there is never a pre-determined EQ setting...it always depends on the environment, speakers, and listener's taste.

pulling back frequencies never hurts the speakers (it may actually help them operate more efficiently). you're just tailoring the sound to your liking.

if you start boosting frequencies then you may introduce harshness (i.e. distortion) and it'll start sounding like crap.

it's always suggested to remove frequencies before you start boosting. boosting just drives the signal harder and almost always introduces distortion.

clear as mud?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
here are some charts to help you decipher what you're hearing.

http://www.lunarmotion.com/Music/Mus...ge Chart.pdf

password is "bwmusic"
http://www.bwmusic.com/e/learning/magenta/RangeE.pdf

it's much easier to adjust your music when you're listening to music with live instruments. rap/pop/electronic producers can make an instrument sound any which way they want...and more times than not it sounds like crap. so don't ever think you can tune your system listening to Kanye or Young Jeezy (although those tracks do help in hunting down rattles).

although the stock speakers will not be able to reproduce all these instruments clearly...maybe an excuse to upgrade?

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Here is something I did with my factory system:

- As soon as I got my car (brand new) I turned the bass to -6 and the trebble to -3. Mid stayed at 0.

- I drove around with the settings like that for a good three months. I basically just forgot about them.

- After the three months, I turned the bass control back to 0, the trebble to 0 called it good.

- Because of their proper break-in period, my factory system got louder, stayed cleaner, and generally did everything better than any other factory IS300 system I had ever heard.

Now obviously, this is not going to work with old stereos that have been running for a long time.... you can't really break in something that is already old.

And by the way, I liked the factory IS300 system. It actually RTA'd quite well (yes... I did... I know, I'm a geek)... the midbass performance was freaking great.... the only thing I didn't like was the rear speakers (but I never like rear speakers... they shouldn't be there).

·
Registered
432 Posts
but I never like rear speakers... they shouldn't be there

LMAO!! we all know now.
I am actually going to replace mine because I like music behind me... I'm so close to the rear speakers that they actually bug me out when they sound like poop.

your tweeters prob have enough power to make it seem like the music is all around you though.. my 15watts aren't doing the trick

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I don't want the music "all around me".... that's not how you're supposed to experience music.

In fact, when a stereo mix comes from "all around you"... phase discrepancies can arise that will actually cancel out some of the mix. You're not hearing the music the way the artist and engineers intended.

But have fun.

And yes, my tweeters have lots and lots of power going to them... but power has nothing to do with your soundstaging. It's all in speaker placement, EQ, and crossover settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts