Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally drove an S4 tonight. What a great combination it would be to have the S4 engine and interior, with the IS300's steering, suspension and brakes. The exterior is a tossup, either one looks great.
The S4 is a ton of fun, feels like Gran Tourismo going so fast in a car, but the steering and brake feel is kinda dead compared to an IS300 (or BMW). It also feels too safe at speed, I like the IS300's nervousness, it's a lot more exciting. When that back end swings out I want to **** my pants, but it's so much fun. The S4 is almost too easy to drive fast, takes some of the fun out of it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Most of the AWD feel like that, since they are pretty hard to break loose. But once you did, pray, because they are pretty hard to get back (since you usually are way... over the limit).
I love the steering feel of IS and the great brake as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i love the "girth" of the steering wheel. it feels solid in my hand as i throw the IS around the corners. i feel like i have total control. with trac off, i would expect the back to break loose, but the LSD transfers the power and instead of the trac control slowing me down, i get slingshot out of the corner. what a rush. i think im gonna have to go do that again now.

mike

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say the IS300 has one of the best steering wheels of any car I've been in. Steering feel I'd rate the 328i and IS300 first, my Integra GSR 2nd, and the Audi S4 3rd. Don't know about the 330i cause I haven't driven it yet. (these are cars I've driven, I'm sure there are other good ones I haven't)

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited September 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
S4 was my first choice for a new car but to my dismay it was not gonna be available in NY until late October. Plus I know audi has some discrepancies with the electrical wiring with the seats and a few other gadgets. I leaned to the IS due to its new cutting edge design. the S4 is dated and may be redesigned soon. didnt wanna buy a $43,000 car and have its look become obselete in a few months. But I have heard it is a dream to drive! either way i still love my IS and its feel.

PS I tried the ECTpower ON and TracOFF setup -- THAT SETTING IS SO PHAT!!! Car acts totally different. This is what I was looking for when i bought the IS. I feel so much better now.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I was going to run on the track, I'd take an S4 over an IS300 or BMW 330i any day, it's just so much more stable - not to mention silly fast compared to the other two. Snap oversteer in an IS300 on an autocross or parking lot is fun, on a track you'd just hear the crunchy sounds of your car going belly up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts