Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys i own a 2003 s2000 love it not selling it. Im looking for a more practical 4 door automatic. I remember a co worker paying full pop for a is300 cira 2004 lol now that there much more affordable I think they've basiclly bottomed out on price. Its time to strike. I want an automatic so It can just be more of a cruiser when desired.

So looking around I see the lsd diffs are pretty rare. I definitely want lsd . So should I only look for those or should I just buy the best condition car I can and swap one in. Lsd diffs are readily avaliable on ebay etc... also sunroofs Id slightly prefer without one not a big deal. I cant see ever finding one with no sunroof and lsd haha!

Also aesthetically are the later years headlights black inside or are those all aftermarket? I've seen a handful...

Interior wise I see here that the dash is sticky except for 2001 but the 2001 doesn't have a arm rest is that easily swapable?

Other than all that what else should I look for? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
There's probably only like 1-2% of IS300 without sunroof. Don't even try.

LSD are easy to swap in and is a nice upgrade.

There are so many different variations of headlights and tail lights for this car. Some of the darker ones are from Sportdesign and JDM models. Some more research on this or a pic of what you prefer will help us direct you to which one you should buy.

The dash is annoying but you could fix it with paint. Don't buy a 2001 just because you don't want to pull the dash out.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
LSD are easy to swap in and is a nice upgrade.
Unless you're tracking or auto-crossing it, you won't even notice if it's installed or not. Just say'in. For daily use they're completely invisible. Still swapping the entire diff to a LSD diff is easy. Swapping the guts of the diff, done correctly, isn't so easy.

Unless you're buying a manual, there's not much reason NOT to get an 01.

Keep in mind, if you buy a random 150K mile IS300, it'll have issues that need addressing. Probably due for a timing belt, probably needs front and rear balljoints. Might have leaky cam seals. Probably needs bushings in the front suspension.

They're very reliable but there are some weak spots like the front suspension and the cam seals. Valve covers tend to leak at that mileage too. It's all pretty mild stuff if you work on cars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
whats about burnouts with both rear wheels? lsd is needed for that right. sorry i havent got burnouts out of my system but honestly i dont do it in my s2k no torque and i dont want to do a clutch...

dont get me wrong i take absolutly best care possible of any of my cars...

heres a example of how clean i keep my cars. caution ocd...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
whats about burnouts with both rear wheels? lsd is needed for that right. sorry i havent got burnouts out of my system but honestly i dont do it in my s2k no torque and i dont want to do a clutch...
1 - The stock LSD is just like the stock LSD in the S2000. Meaning if a wheel is in the air, it free-wheels. Meaning the IS is probably about as good in the snow or wet as your S2000.

2 - This IS makes 25 less HP than the S2000 but a decent amount more torque.

3 - Stock the IS300 likes to wheel-hop when you spin the wheels. Be careful you don't destroy your new LSD diff.

4- Unless you do something like neutral drops, I'm skeptical your stock auto IS is going to be that great for burnouts anyway. I can do them but I have 300 ft/lbs or torque.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Buy a car thats in good repair and if you need a LSD, put one in. I bought an LSD off ebay for $250 but I am fairly sure the seller had no idea it was an LSD. But where you will wish you had an LSD is in rain and snow. Without it, the car will sit and spin. For me it was a safety issue to have an LSD. I only wishy wish I had done it years ago.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buy a car thats in good repair and if you need a LSD, put one in. I bought an LSD off ebay for $250 but I am fairly sure the seller had no idea it was an LSD. But where you will wish you had an LSD is in rain and snow. Without it, the car will sit and spin. For me it was a safety issue to have an LSD. I only wishy wish I had done it years ago.
You'll still need sandbags in the trunk and winter tires, the LSD while awesome in the snow does need to also be on a snow prepped vehicle.

Plenty of people get stuck on stock summer tires not knowing that their rubber is essentially a hokey puck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you need an LSD you can get one from any year FRS/BRZ and it literaly bolts right in. I've done it in my non-lsd car and now it does mad skids!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not in snow but rain yes. really a stright swap from a frs brz thats cool now theres even more of those on ebay. you think thats a better option just cuz there that much newer. it seems like the lsd is pretty straight forward swap so that will open up a ton more cars to choose from thx guys.

--------- ps why is this site so laggy it seems that way on my computer and phone...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
eally a stright swap from a frs brz thats cool now theres even more of those on ebay.
I'm pretty sure you have to do something about the front mount ears. Washers or spacers. I've not actually done it. The BRZ diff's a 4.11 so, you will get more effective torque at the cost of more RPM's when you're driving.

--------- ps why is this site so laggy it seems that way on my computer and phone...
Might just be you. It's not laggy here.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Unless you're tracking or auto-crossing it, you won't even notice if it's installed or not. Just say'in. For daily use they're completely invisible. Still swapping the entire diff to a LSD diff is easy. Swapping the guts of the diff, done correctly, isn't so easy.

Unless you're buying a manual, there's not much reason NOT to get an 01.

Keep in mind, if you buy a random 150K mile IS300, it'll have issues that need addressing. Probably due for a timing belt, probably needs front and rear balljoints. Might have leaky cam seals. Probably needs bushings in the front suspension.

They're very reliable but there are some weak spots like the front suspension and the cam seals. Valve covers tend to leak at that mileage too. It's all pretty mild stuff if you work on cars.
If you drive in the rain and you take a turn a bit too fast, LSD is nice to have.

You don't have to track or auto cross. There are many times when I try to merge into traffic and my rear end slips out during the rain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
what about turboing the automatic version down the road is a automatic good with turbo, 300-350 wheel power is all id be pursuing.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
what about turboing the automatic version down the road is a automatic good with turbo, 300-350 wheel power is all id be pursue.
Got 10K laying around? Honestly if your want 300 hp that still passes emissions and is cheaper than turboing, do a 1UZ or 3UZ swap. As long as you don't plan on making it a manual, it'll pass emissions with no issue. I'd do the 3UZ if I did it over again, this is the 1UZ.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10i guess turboing dosent sound too reliable on ths car with out dropping cash, the v8 idea sounds better how much if i did all the work roughly, will it bolt straight to the stock tranny?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It's a bunch of work. It can be made to work with the stock tranny by switching over the front pump and bell housing. I wanted the stronger V8 transmission so, I opted to change the V8 tranny tailshaft to match the IS300 tailshaft.

The IS is an expensive car to up-power. You could also LS swap it but then you'd probably have to run multiple ECU's.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/d/2002-lexus-gs-430-automatic/6258592318.html

I bought a complete GS, parted it out then used the drivetrain in the IS. Made some of my money back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive owned a 2007 s2000 for the past three years (my first car) and I also just picked up an 04 manual is300 with the factory lsd. I cant say its disappointed me at all. Already love the car, perfect daily and the space is nice compared to the s2000 lol. If I were you i would find a manual is300. You wont be disappointed, thing slides pretty good and does good burnouts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
first off how do you view your own threads or the ones youve contributed too?

I think I found a nice is https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/2001-lexus-is-300/6423439771.html

its an 01 has 130k on it no sunroof and cloth seats. im simplistic obviously...

my questions are what should i look for?

the owner says its in good shape it dose have the salvaged title though. you can tell the drivers side headlight is oxidized... so the story there is rather legit.

do all the cloth seats have the manual adjustments or are some power?

one picture that scares me is the window looks all moist from the inside on that front picture. i swear people could sell cars easier by taking better pics.

other than that the paint looks really good from those pics,

anything else to look for?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts