Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so here is the story and i am not talking bad about anyone here, I would just like to get peoples feedback on this situation...

I took my IS to S&R performance which is located in Tampa, FL to originally have the car dyno tune'd. All came out pretty well. I spent $400 that day for a dyno tune on the car which took about 6 hours due to the fact he had to start over after 2 hours because my car had a vacuum leak coming from the MAP sensor...

They did cut me a break and charged me just $400 instead of extra due to longer amount of time. So all is well and fine after the tune when i am driving the car. Well about 3 weeks later as I was driving I heard a pop noise in the car which I thought was just a pocket of gas in the exhaut which exploded...but then noticed afterwards that my A/F at idle was 10.9 to 11.2 from previous high 13's.

I thought I fouled a spark plug thinking why it might be so rich, when i pulled #5 there was oil on the tip of the spark plug. I had S&R do a compression test for me on this, which they did and have found that the 5th cylinder had a compression of 160 or 165 (looking for paper with numbers will edit when I find) I took it to them thinking it was the valve stem seals and for them to replace all of them. Well it turns out they said it was my valve cover seal, that they saw oil on the top of the plug which they believe drained in….so they replaced the valve cover gasket for me which I could have done and they charged accordingly…

They called their tuner Brian back in to have him do a street tune on my car which I paid $200 for. He spent 15 minutes and said he maxed out my fuel on the haltech and he couldn’t do anything else. So I was kind of like wtf…they said I must have a fuel pressure issue, which come to find out I did, from my FPR, but never had a visible gas leak before until they took their own Regulator and attached it to my FPR which was taped to my window to see the pressure and was inconsistent. When they put the part back together they caused the problem to be worse. Bobby ended up putting my buddy shanes tune from a while back to the haltech. So then that erased the tune brian has set on as well. I changed the braided line and no more leak so all is fine.

So, I took it to my buddy shane who is an engineer and knows how to tune the IS, Subaru’s, Evo’s etc. He spent 45 minutes and had my idle perfect and even going through the gears and RPM’s..and this was before I fixed my fuel issue, so something is to say about that. I tried calling S&R to get the tune brian put on the car from him. Originally spoke to Jeff one of the owners who has a very good help in trying to resolve the matter, and gave us brains number and all… and said I would have the map emailed to me the next day. I have tried calling him multiple times with no answer and no return call. The map is still not in my email obviously.

So 3 weeks go by and I call S&R back and spoke with bobby who is the other owner of S&R… Basically he said I brought him a car that was not ready to be tuned, and that he is not involved between brains tune and my car. With some displeasure and statements made by bobby..saying he will get a blood sample from brian for us too which really was not respectful as I was being nice the whole time. All I wanted was the map that brian originally put on my car from the dyno. That was it, and he said he dosent want my car back in his shop again, and dosent want to work on it, which I didn’t understand. The outcome of it is that he called brian while I was on the phone with him and asked him if he still had the map to my car…well there was a problem with a skyline haltech so Brian had to reinstall the driver apparently which erased all the maps from the haltech on his computer (which I do not understand how this happens)

So I paid $600 total for a map that I will never receive and the service my friend and I had to go through. So I feel like I have spent $600 for nothing really. Plus the $$ I gave to them for changing out my WG Spring, and valve cover gasket, as well as compression test which is fine and they did good work on. I am not trying to bash S&R at all, but I am not really satisfied with the customer service provided to me after the fact. Bobby wanted to wash his hands from my car, when I was in the shop with my car they made me seem important, but after the fact, it really seemed as if they did not care.

I would just like some peoples responses on this matter and how you would feel if you were in my situation and this was your car??

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I hope you paid with a CC, cuz dispute those charges. $600.00 for something you don't have? Honest tuners are hard to come by. Some people think that just cuz they can install an SAFC and calibrate/tune with it, they can do everything.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is S&R good enough to tune emanage ultimate for a NA car?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i believe ipaid mostly cash and this was a few months ago so its too lte to dispute the chargs...due to some certain business activities it was on the backburner. I tried to get $$ back but they wont do it. The tuners that go to S&R are sub contractors. Seem like thats why S& probaly washed their hands. I wasn't reallya happy camper.

Bobby made a comment saying because my buddy shane tuned my car after brian couldnt, that he said there is no reason for me to have the map because its worthless, yet that is what i paid $600 for...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I will say this - I'm picking my car up from a tuner this afternoon who basically did everything but say to me, "You brought me a car that isn't yet ready to be tuned." I feel for the guy. I basically walked in his shop, asked him to tune my car, and then once he started noticing problems I said, "Oh yah yah yah.....I forgot to tell you. I'm basically dropping a lump of shit into your hands."

Point being that a lot of these tuners, especially those that don't specialize in the IS, are not going to waste time sifting through the car's issues. Right or wrong isn't the point - its just a fact from what I've seen.

Now, in your situation stuff seems to be a bit more straight forward. You payed for a map (worthless, probably, but whatever) that you didn't receive. I say screw these guys and move on. I'm taking my car to SRT asap because I just can't chance monetary losses due to bs like that any longer.

Good luck man. The boost game has been nothing but cruel to me thus far. Hopefully things get straight with your car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A good tuner who wants your buisness is gonna work with you wheather the car has a few problems or not. After I had the install done on my car I took it to a tuner and within 5 minutes of checking the car over he noticed a lot of things that were not correct. He could have easily pushed the car out the door and said forget it but he worked with me and fixed everthing up. When your tuner starts bashing your car thats when you wanna get it outa there. You should just forget about it and take your car to somebody who is willing to work on it and very familiar with the IS

·
Registered
502 Posts
yup - next stop for my baby is SRT. Pretty ironic, too, considering I went the route I went originally because I didn't trust SRT any further than I could throw them (as a result of online reviews, of course). Life's little ironies HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...............:pissed: probably cost me five g's.

It's all good, though. The E6X, a 67mm turbo and some cams may be in the future so it may have worked out just the way it was supposed to.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You can't dispute these charges on your CC.. S&R did in fact spend the time on the car, and it was billed accordingly. CC companies only deal with fraudulent transactions, not because you are unhappy. Or else, we'd all go to Walmart, buy a bunch of stuff, and then do a charge back because I was not satisfied with their crappy products...lol Life would be on easy street.

"Honesty" isn't the problem here, because no one was lying and there was no scamming involved. The car did have fuel pressure problems, and it was fixed. The car drove fine for what.. 3 weeks? In any modded car, especially a boosted IS300, things can break or deteriorate depending on mileage and condition, and 3 weeks will rule out any immediate issues with the tune. If your car ran well for 3 weeks, it can never be a tuning issue unless it was a blown built motor. The popping sound was a mechanical issue, and the problem caused your tune to change. Whenever you have fueling issues, sensor issues, cooling issues, vacuum leaks, etc.. usually the car will need a full retune once it has been fixed.

Aside from this, neither the shop or the customer was wrong. It was inexperience for both the customer and the tuner. What can you say though, because S&R wasn't the shop tuning your car. It was an outsourced tuner called Brian...

1. The customer should try to avoid "dyno shops" that call in outside tuners to do the job. You will never find the guy who will take full responsibility if anything happens. You only find the tuner DIRECTLY, like as if you've asked John Reed to come tune your car, and then he locates a familiar dyno shop. Or you want to find a shop that both owns the dyno and does the tuning and servicing for you under one whole package. The tuner now becomes fully responsible for everything on your car if he did the turbo install, motor work, fuel system, electronics and down to the tuning. Funny as it sounds, that's when everything works out well.

2. The customer is also responsible, because the car should be in good running condition. The customer accepts full responsibility that the car is in good running shape and could be properly tuned. An air leak at the MAP sensor is not the tuner's fault, and he should have charged you the full 6 hours of tune. It could be leaky coolant, popping off charge pipes, misfire due to old plugs, or even running out of gas! Brian did a good thing for the price break due to issues unrelated to the tuner.

3. The tuner is also lacking experience, because he should always have full backup of all his files, and a mirrored laptop for emergency. Losing files is a fact of life, all it takes is a few corrupted files, hard crashes and you lose everything. There is no reason why he wouldn't send you the tuning file. I know I would, and why wouldn't he? It's Haltech, so it's not like he can encrypt the files. You can easily pull the file out for yourself anyway.

Treat this as a lesson well learned... However, there is no excuse for S&R to tell you off like that... So either way, thanks for the heads up Jonnyd because that will be a shop to avoid regardless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also had poor service with S&R (bobby), I pre-paid my bill with him ($8k+) for the built. He told me that my Stand-alone came in but my car went back to the end of the line because the AEM they ordered took too long. The part came in from Dezod, and he told me that my car is not as important as other cars. I wanted to make sure he regret what he said. (but that's a different story). I move down here from N. VA so made that mistake of taking it to them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is good advie, but they were the reason I had the fuel pressure issue. That was not my fault. They pulled the line off to put their own gauge own, so it was created by them. I agree with basically everything you say...but my car was ready to be tuned..there was a hole in the vacuum line that occured during the tuning, which in 5 min it was replaced. Yea not the tuners fault, mine..but things happen.

I take this as a lesson and am learning there are many unsatisfied customers, especially Tony above...

You can't dispute these charges on your CC.. S&R did in fact spend the time on the car, and it was billed accordingly. CC companies only deal with fraudulent transactions, not because you are unhappy. Or else, we'd all go to Walmart, buy a bunch of stuff, and then do a charge back because I was not satisfied with their crappy products...lol Life would be on easy street.

"Honesty" isn't the problem here, because no one was lying and there was no scamming involved. The car did have fuel pressure problems, and it was fixed. The car drove fine for what.. 3 weeks? In any modded car, especially a boosted IS300, things can break or deteriorate depending on mileage and condition, and 3 weeks will rule out any immediate issues with the tune. If your car ran well for 3 weeks, it can never be a tuning issue unless it was a blown built motor. The popping sound was a mechanical issue, and the problem caused your tune to change. Whenever you have fueling issues, sensor issues, cooling issues, vacuum leaks, etc.. usually the car will need a full retune once it has been fixed.

Aside from this, neither the shop or the customer was wrong. It was inexperience for both the customer and the tuner. What can you say though, because S&R wasn't the shop tuning your car. It was an outsourced tuner called Brian...

1. The customer should try to avoid "dyno shops" that call in outside tuners to do the job. You will never find the guy who will take full responsibility if anything happens. You only find the tuner DIRECTLY, like as if you've asked John Reed to come tune your car, and then he locates a familiar dyno shop. Or you want to find a shop that both owns the dyno and does the tuning and servicing for you under one whole package. The tuner now becomes fully responsible for everything on your car if he did the turbo install, motor work, fuel system, electronics and down to the tuning. Funny as it sounds, that's when everything works out well.

2. The customer is also responsible, because the car should be in good running condition. The customer accepts full responsibility that the car is in good running shape and could be properly tuned. An air leak at the MAP sensor is not the tuner's fault, and he should have charged you the full 6 hours of tune. It could be leaky coolant, popping off charge pipes, misfire due to old plugs, or even running out of gas! Brian did a good thing for the price break due to issues unrelated to the tuner.

3. The tuner is also lacking experience, because he should always have full backup of all his files, and a mirrored laptop for emergency. Losing files is a fact of life, all it takes is a few corrupted files, hard crashes and you lose everything. There is no reason why he wouldn't send you the tuning file. I know I would, and why wouldn't he? It's Haltech, so it's not like he can encrypt the files. You can easily pull the file out for yourself anyway.

Treat this as a lesson well learned... However, there is no excuse for S&R to tell you off like that... So either way, thanks for the heads up Jonnyd because that will be a shop to avoid regardless.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also had poor service with S&R (bobby), I pre-paid my bill with him ($8k+) for the built. He told me that my Stand-alone came in but my car went back to the end of the line because the AEM they ordered took too long. The part came in from Dezod, and he told me that my car is not as important as other cars. I wanted to make sure he regret what he said. (but that's a different story). I move down here from N. VA so made that mistake of taking it to them.

Please get back to us with your results :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.