Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, let's say I want to get boost. Here are my choices:

1) Toyomoto Rotrex $6,995 +install (how much?)

2) TurboEast Stage 1 or 2 $4,995/$5,595 +install (how much?)

3) PLP Vortech $4,995 +install $800

4) LMW Super Street $5,500 installed

1. Which is the most reliable, QUIET, low maintenance, cost-effective and fuel efficient?

2. What kind of gas mileage can I expect to get from my car after this?

3. What other parts are needed other than the kits themselves (do I need a new clutch, tranny, headers...)?

4. Least expensive way to purchase??

I want to start slow, I searched but server is always busy, don't have time to read long threads so any input is appreciated!!

Staying away from turbos for now just because they're generally more high maintenance right?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
hands down I say go with a search. has about 350rwhp :O)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vboy418 said:
hands down I say go with a search. has about 350rwhp :O)

i just told you i searched and server was always busy. hello! i'm not looking for these kinds of responses, thank you

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
chado said:

1. Which is the most reliable, QUIET, low maintenance, cost-effective and fuel efficient?

3. What other parts are needed other than the kits themselves (do I need a new clutch, tranny, headers...)?

I want to start slow, I searched but server is always busy, don't have time to read long threads so any input is appreciated!!

Staying away from turbos for now just because they're generally more high maintenance right?
1. Go turbo! Maintenance wise, turbo doesn't require a seperate oil suppy. Noise wise, if you use the stock resonator and don't go WOT your car will be fairly quiet with a turbo. If you're worried about gas mileage, drive the turbo car in vacuum.

2. Gas mileage is all about driving styles, heavy foot = poor mpg drive in vacuum = good mpg.

3. With a supercharger you'll need a new header, your cats aren't going to last too long. The turbo will have all the necessary hardware. A clutch upgrade is necessary with around 350 rwhp with both setups. A VB upgrade is needed with around 320 rwhp.

4. Buy the kit used.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ darn, you're messing up my plans. i love this kind of organized response tho, +rep

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
chado said:

First things first, put it in power:price ratio. Turbo's will usually win,

1) dont know

2) stage 1 is 800 just for the install, stage 2 I believe is about double that b/c they have to open up the block for the 2mm gasket.

3&4) I have an email from steve a LMS saying that he has had problems with their blowers not being able to stand up to the abuse that occurs at high psi. He recommended my running at a modest 6-7psi for reliablity. He also told me that if the S/c goes it has to go back to the manufacturer to be rebuilt which means you SOL until they get back to you in however many weeks.

1. I think that turbos are much more reliable and quiet if you opt for a 'sleeper' bov and a recirc'ed wastegate. Maint. is minimal at most for all of the turbo systems, primarily just monitoring your gauges and info to make sure everything is ok.

2. no freakin clue!

3. Just basic boost being a stg 1 kit( which is what I bought from PFS) I purchased a boost/EGT/fuel pressure gauge, and a AEM wideband. I bought expensive defi gauges but you def. dont need to go that way if your trying to save money. Figure 300 for a decent wideband and about 600 for gauges. Thats a pretty safe est.
Oh... I also bought a full 3in exhaust that was 495

4. No such thing! I was gonna buy a used kit but safe yourself the hassle of missing or worn parts and buy a new one, for 4500(turbo), your really not spending that much more. Find the gauges online for as cheap as you can. Thats about it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My costs up to date:

PFS stage 1 turbo kit 4,500.00
PFS SS full 3" exhaust 500.00
Upgrade BOV 60.00
TRD pod 250.00
Defi Link Control Unit 100.00
3 Defi BF
EGT 250.00
Boost(in psi) 250.00
Fuel pressure 250.00
AEM wideband 350.00
HKS cam gear(opt.) 150.00

shipping (est)175.00
Install (est) 2300.00

this is a very, very simple breakdown. You really should not break prices down like this b/c its not this simple but for explainations sake...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG i'm confused now... gotta read up on the turbos a little bit. most popular kits?? whatever it is i gotta get it brand new for my peace of mind

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
step 1) PM dasgaloway (mod w/ SC exp, sp?)

step 2) make decision off information given

step 3) post pictures for communities delight

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
chado said:
OMG i'm confused now... gotta read up on the turbos a little bit. most popular kits?? whatever it is i gotta get it brand new for my peace of mind
lol, read throught my post it's not confusing. You have a choice of PFS stg 1 4500
SRT stg 2 5200
TE stg 1 4500
BoostLogic stg 1/2? 5399 (includes Arp studs and 2.5mm headgasket)

Reactions: chado

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
uschardcore said:
step 1) PM dasgaloway (mod w/ SC exp, sp?)

step 2) make decision off information given

step 3) post pictures for communities delight
Lol, im sure he would love this post...hahaha

Chado. what are you looking for most in a kit?
price....performance...reliability..
you need to decide what your looking for before anyone can make reco.s

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
or better yet do this

u want to learn about S/C pm das.
u want to learn about turbo go to De, or malek, and the other 80% of hte go faster ISer's

as for me im goin with pfs stage 1 just because i have 2 tuners locally that can help me do the install kane and malek. i've just been havin trouble with bills and shit

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is300cb said:
Lol, im sure he would love this post...hahaha

Chado. what are you looking for most in a kit?
price....performance...reliability..
you need to decide what your looking for before anyone can make reco.s
i'm looking most for reliability. i want to do this in the next few months before leaving cali for a more emissions friendly state. it's like a going away present for the car :) whatever it is will be installed most likely by the good folks at LMS. i won't have that kind of support where i'll be going so it's gonna have to last!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
chado said:
i'm looking most for reliability. i want to do this in the next few months before leaving cali for a more emissions friendly state. it's like a going away present for the car :) whatever it is will be installed most likely by the good folks at LMS. i won't have that kind of support where i'll be going so it's gonna have to last!
honestly all kits can be reliable its all on the install and how well u treat it

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CYBERTECK said:
or better yet do this

u want to learn about S/C pm das.
u want to learn about turbo go to De, or malek, and the other 80% of hte go faster ISer's

as for me im goin with pfs stage 1 just because i have 2 tuners locally that can help me do the install kane and malek. i've just been havin trouble with bills and shit
i know, just waiting for them to jump on this thread (or not!)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CYBERTECK said:
and if a tuner is that much of a problem then go with lmw since its rite there.
yeah, but that's what i said already ^^ (LMS = LMW) :)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ true, i'm just being anal!

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.