Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
APEXi S-AFCII was installed and tuned today. It was a pretty hot day (at least 85). Here's the power curve:

I did a set of power pulls on a different dyno when the car was stock around 5 months ago. It was a lot cooler that day (mid 70's). Here's that curve:

Do dyno's from different manfacturers produce different numbers on the same car if all other things are equal?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's against the law for a manufacturer to void a warranty because the owner added aftermarket parts. However, if something breaks and they can atribute it to your add-on, then you will not be covered for that repair. The warranty remains valid.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: S-AFCII / Dyno Tune Done

Zzzoom said:
Do dyno's from different manfacturers produce different numbers on the same car if all other things are equal?
Yes, there was an article in Turbo Magazine a month ago or so that discussed this matter.. they tested like 5 different types of dynos in the So Cal area on a stock 350Z.. It shouldn't really matter how much actual horsepower you make (other than to brag about it).. the thing you should be more concerned with is the baseline and the end result after tuning (on the same dyno)..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
wow, about 15 extra hp with the s-afc. what a difference!

could you feel the difference?

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
DegoIS said:
So with L-tuned exhaust and PLP intake and S-afc you gained 15hp?
Good gains...I think. But the SRT with R-ECU alone adds 14RWHP I think, maybe you should swap out the PLP filter with something else?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DegoIS said:
175HP after the 1st pull was with the AFC zeroed out (i.e. no correction being applied). The extra 15HP on the last pull was just from tuning in the AFC! So yes, I was pretty pleased to get 15HP at the wheels from the tune.

homerun217 said:
wow, about 15 extra hp with the s-afc. what a difference!

could you feel the difference?
I'd characterize it as noticeable mainly in sharper throttle response. Also, torque seems smoother thru the RPM range.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: S-AFCII / Dyno Tune Done

oh-dawg said:
Yes, there was an article in Turbo Magazine a month ago or so that discussed this matter.. they tested like 5 different types of dynos in the So Cal area on a stock 350Z.
Here's the link to the Turbo Magazine article. Interesting what a spread in HP from one dyno to the next. Thanks again ...

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0306tur_dynodash/

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zzzoom said:
DegoIS said:
175HP after the 1st pull was with the AFC zeroed out (i.e. no correction being applied). The extra 15HP on the last pull was just from tuning in the AFC! So yes, I was pretty pleased to get 15HP at the wheels from the AFC alone. Well worth the $300 for the unit IMHO.
WOW! I haven't seen anyone get gains like that yet. Good job! :eek:

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
that first pull seems to be off. 15rwhp just from fuel is kindof hard to believe. also with exhaust and intake, you should have more than 175rwhp on a 5m/t.

while we are on topic, do you mind sharing your afc settings with us. if you would rather not make it public knowledge, you can pm/email me. i am intersted to compare your settings to my own. judging from my settings and dyno it looks like the PLP does not flow enough air for optimal power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frydryce said:
that first pull seems to be off. 15rwhp just from fuel is kind of hard to believe. also with exhaust and intake, you should have more than 175rwhp on a 5m/t.
What can I say? Do dyno's lie?

Frydryce said:
while we are on topic, do you mind sharing your afc settings
Sure. I left the car down there at Millen Motorsport. I should get it back early next week.

·
Registered
212 Posts
nice gains!

too bad you couldn't get a true baseline on the xs dynojet. i would imagine that your untuned combination of mods was giving you at least 5-6 added hp. so that is about a 20-21 rwhp gain with all mods. :eek:

i also have my tuning done at xs. as you can see in my sig with my list of mods my results. my baseline is a true baseline, bone stock @ 170.0 rwhp. i have better images of the dynos if you need a clearer image of it, just pm me you email address and i'll send it to you. judging from your results i should be able to get more power out of my setup. what do you think. or maybe it is the difference between the s-afc and the s-afcII.

congrats once again.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Zzzoom said:
Frydryce said:
that first pull seems to be off. 15rwhp just from fuel is kind of hard to believe. also with exhaust and intake, you should have more than 175rwhp on a 5m/t.
What can I say? Do dyno's lie?

Frydryce said:
while we are on topic, do you mind sharing your afc settings
Sure. I left the car down there at Millen Motorsport. I should get it back early next week.
yes dyno's can lie to a certain extent. look at your stock dyno versus your untuned baseline. does it make sense?

15rwhp from fuel tuning alone on an n/a vehicle is difficult to fathom.

im not trying to flame you man... im just skeptical about the 15rwhp gain from tuning. your total number with your mods and tuning make perfect sense and congrats on the total number.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Frydryce said:
yes dyno's can lie to a certain extent. look at your stock dyno versus your untuned baseline. does it make sense?

15rwhp from fuel tuning alone on an n/a vehicle is difficult to fathom.

im not trying to flame you man... im just skeptical about the 15rwhp gain from tuning. your total number with your mods and tuning make perfect sense and congrats on the total number.
I don't think you're flaming me. I appreciate the feedback. I do believe the numbers though.

I think the 15rwhp gain was more a function of the airflow through the engine being brought under control thanks to the AFC and tune. I've been told that my intake and exhaust were actually hurting me not helping me before the tune because the way the ECU reacts when it gets inputs outside of what it expects. This can actually reduce HP because the ECU reacts on the safe side. The tuner told my my car was tuned pretty rich from the factory too. He said I would get 5hp alone just from bringing that under control.

Bottom Line: I think I've done all I can, short of making the car really illegal here in CA, to squeeze as much out of a stock machine possible and make it unique for me. That's what I was after and I think I've gotten there.

Thanks again ...

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
cool. sounds good. yes my car was running very rich pre-tuned as well. i am very interested to see what settings you ended up at. please let me know when you get your car back.

thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Zzzoom said:
Bottom Line: I think I've done all I can, short of making the car really illegal here in CA
I think I read on PLP's website that the Silent Flow Intake is not street legal in California? Is this not the case?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts