Lexus IS Forum banner

S-AFC II Install in So Cal?

1K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  God 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can get the S-AFC II installed in so cal for a good price? Installed and Dyno Tuned. XS Engineering quoted me $125 for the install, $45 Dyno Hook up fee and $100 Dyno Tune. $270 total seems a bit much, but just curious. I know people were talking like $300 was good in Florida, but laughed at that price for us So Cal people, so I just wanna see what others are getting and/or offering before I get reemed at XS Engineering (Although I know it will be quality work)

Thanks for your time and reply.

Kevin

#6 ·
Alright man, sounds good. Maybe in the 6 weeks, I may have someone install it and then do like you and have XS dyno and tune it. thats at the very least. Otherwise I'll need the whole schpeil (sp?) like edgy.

Thanks again, and let me know. The time frame is perfect.

Kevin

#7 ·
i know a very reliable guy in cerritos who can install the SAFCII. He did my car and its running perfect. He will hardwire and shrinkwrap your connections for a perfect connection.

if you are interested please pm me and i will get you his information.

#8 ·
undertow said:
I just wanna see what others are getting and/or offering before I get reemed at XS Engineering.
$275 is cheap to get work done at XS. XS is the so cal wholesale distributor for Apex'i USA. Did you even visit their facility and see the fleet of skylines Supra's and FC's that is in the garage? Also their dyno room house a dynojet and a four wheel dyno that they install just to do there Skyline, WRX and EVO tuning.

You will get tune by a tech that is trained to tune AEM EMS, Motec, Haltech, and Power FC.

Also that XS got the SAFC to make 400hp on an their prototype turbo is300 in 2001.

Expect 2-3 weeks lead time on tuning appointments..

#10 ·
Hm, I charge 1 hour for install $65 and $120 to dyno tune it with wideband. I solder all the connections. Total is $185. Just as a point of reference. With the competition in LA, I would think it would be cheaper. I would call Toda Racing and see who they use. I believe Shawn Church has a nice Dynapack Dyno and can tune it for you no sweat. I'm sure he is cheaper than XS.

#11 ·
God said:
Hm, I charge 1 hour for install $65 and $120 to dyno tune it with wideband. I solder all the connections. Total is $185. Just as a point of reference. With the competition in LA, I would think it would be cheaper. I would call Toda Racing and see who they use. I believe Shawn Church has a nice Dynapack Dyno and can tune it for you no sweat. I'm sure he is cheaper than XS.
where is Toda Racing, and who is Shawn Church?

#14 ·
God said:
I believe Shawn Church has a nice Dynapack Dyno and can tune it for you no sweat. I'm sure he is cheaper than XS.
Yeah, use a Dynapack if you like to blow motors.. just call up the guys at Apex'i USA and ask them how satisfied they are with their Dynapack.. ask them why their R34 isn't tuned on it.. and if they aren't trustworthy enough, call up Dynapack and tell them you heard their crappy "dyno" blows motors.. "oh THAT problem ? we figured out what the problem is.."

There's a reason why XS has a Dynojet 2-wheel drive dyno AND a Dynamic Test Systems 2/4-wheel drive dyno.. if the Dynapack was so great, there wouldn't have been the need for XS to buy 2 dynos..

All I can say is, you get what you pay for.. you can be cheap on beer and women.. but dude, this is your car we're talking about..

#15 ·
A dyno does not cause anything to blow. That's probably the most ignorant statement I've heard in a while. There's a reason every Japanese tuning company including APexi Japan, TRD, Nismo and Tomei all use Dyanapack dynos to tune and design their products. Even Toyota uses them. IT's a much more accurate and much safer dyno to use. I paid MORE for my AWD Dynapack than I would have from Mustang or any of the other companies but I get a much more accurate measurement for tuning, it's more consistent than any other chassis dyno widely available and most important of all, it is much safer. I'll never have a car go through a wall like other strap/roller type dynos. Next time, please do your research before you make assumptions. Just as a note, I have tuned many IS300's here with not one single problem. All my customers have been very happy.

#16 ·
God said:
A dyno does not cause anything to blow. That's probably the most ignorant statement I've heard in a while. There's a reason every Japanese tuning company including APexi Japan, TRD, Nismo and Tomei all use Dyanapack dynos to tune and design their products. Even Toyota uses them. IT's a much more accurate and much safer dyno to use. I paid MORE for my AWD Dynapack than I would have from Mustang or any of the other companies but I get a much more accurate measurement for tuning, it's more consistent than any other chassis dyno widely available and most important of all, it is much safer. I'll never have a car go through a wall like other strap/roller type dynos. Next time, please do your research before you make assumptions. Just as a note, I have tuned many IS300's here with not one single problem. All my customers have been very happy.
Ignorant statement ? Call Dynapack.. they'll tell you exactly what was wrong with their "dynos" that made them blow motors.. I'll tell you it had something to do with the water break system and the software.. but if you're so sure of yourself, why dont you call them ?

The fact that some of the Japanese tuners may use it doesnt mean its the best.. if you made your purchasing decision based on "what everyone else uses" or "what costs more"then maybe you're the one that should be doing the research.. Japanese tuners couldnt possibly be using the Dynapack because its transportable or requires no "installation" could it ??? in fact, thats the only reason Apex'i USA bought theirs.. and you don't think its weird that they own a Dynapack, but still wanted their R34 tuned on a Dynamic Test Systems dyno, huh ?

If you want to talk safety, its safest not to put a car in a dyno situation in the first place and if you are, then its the shop's responsibility to have all the necessary tie downs and safety precautions.. your safety arguement is like saying we should all resort to "pencil and paper" to avoid the risk of computers crashing and losing data..

Your customers' happiness is all relative.. I'm sure everyone here that owned a Honda Civic prior to their IS300 was happy with their Honda when they first got it..

#17 ·
I think you may have taken the statement out of context. Perhaps YOU should call Dynapack to see what they say as I'm sure the details are more involved than your simplistic statement. I'm not basing my purchase on what others have done. I saw this dyno 4 years ago and believed then (as I do now) that this will be the new standard in the US. It already is in Japan. Not due to size and portability (although those too are advantages) but due to safety, repeatability, and accuracy. For tuning there is no better dyno out there in it's price range IMO and that's why I purchased it--to tune cars with. The safety of it is a nice featuere which none of my clients have complained about. As for the IS300 customers I have dyno charts to show what I did and they have been Toyota customers, not previous Honda customers.
No other dyno takes out the wheel/tire from the equation and all the roller dynos measure the huge roller that you're moving, not actual torque at the hub which is more accurate. The roller not only creates inertia which masks data input but it also can create variances from the tire/wheel weight, the tire pressure, to the strap pressure which mounts the car. I can not tune a car properly with a setup that has so many variables in there. You don't know which variable is causing the changes in power output.

#18 ·
God said:
I think you may have taken the statement out of context. Perhaps YOU should call Dynapack to see what they say as I'm sure the details are more involved than your simplistic statement.
Simplistic statement ? Obviously not if you're having trouble understanding me.. allow me to restate in even more simplistic terms.. the Dynapack and the software it came with blew motors because it would load the car up 100% all the time.. if you call Dynapack, they will tell you about this problem.. so much for the "a dyno will not blow anything up" statement huh ? Give me 10 minutes on a Dynapack in the car of your choice and I will blow it up without touching anything on the car but the gas pedal..

God said:
As for the IS300 customers I have dyno charts to show what I did and they have been Toyota customers, not previous Honda customers.
Regardless of prior car ownership, I think my point still stands.. if they were so happy with their Toyotas, why are they driving an IS300 now ? I think we can safely assume they are happier now than they were before.. don't get all defensive about your tuning.. I never questioned it.. I dont even know you.. I only pointed out that happiness is all relative, since you brought it up as an arguement..

#19 ·
Umm, IS300's are Toyotas. Now as for blowing motors up, I have no idea what is going on with Apexi's Dynapack. Ours has been performing flawlessly for quite some time and we have yet to have a dissatisfied customer with either our parts or tuning services. If for some odd reason the dyno should EVER blow up a car due to a defect with the Dynapack we would replace the engine at no cost to the customer because that is how our customer service works although as I mentioned, out of the inordinate numbers of cars we've had in here, we have yet to encounter any problem with the dyno or our tuning. In fact I have never heard of any defect at all with any Dynapack until now. Obviously it is an isolated incident since none of the dozens of Dynapacks across the country are having any issues (we often talk with other Dynapack owners and wholesale to them).

#20 ·
God said:
Umm, IS300's are Toyotas.
Forget I mentioned it.. I dont think I could explain my analogy any further.. I'm sure other people in here will know what I mean..

God said:
In fact I have never heard of any defect at all with any Dynapack until now. Obviously it is an isolated incident since none of the dozens of Dynapacks across the country are having any issues (we often talk with other Dynapack owners and wholesale to them).
Well, next time you get to talk to those guys at Dynapack.. ask them about our little discussion and what you "heard" about the the Dynapack Engine Blower software.. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that..

#21 ·
CrystalClear said:
I got my Afc installed and tuned by Dynamic for 300. Its been 1 year and now i need to get it re-tuned. My car isn't running right. So i think Xs is a good place to go. Before i re-tune it i'm gonna put a cam gear in.
I have been confused by some writings that I find that say the ECU will learn around the S-AFC and render it useless over time and it will have to be re-tuned. Others have said that it piggy backs the ECU and alters it for good.

Is that why yours must be re-tuned?

Anyone have some insight.
I want to do one.

#22 ·
CrystalClear said:
I got my Afc installed and tuned by Dynamic for 300. Its been 1 year and now i need to get it re-tuned. My car isn't running right. So i think Xs is a good place to go. Before i re-tune it i'm gonna put a cam gear in.
I have been confused by some writings that I find that say the ECU will learn around the S-AFC and render it useless over time and it will have to be re-tuned. Others have said that it piggy backs the ECU and alters it for good.

Is that why yours must be re-tuned?

Anyone have some insight.
I want to do one.

#23 ·
The ECU will learn in closed loop mode to some degree, however, at full throttle, the ECU is in open loop mode and will work off the maps and certain sensors (not O2). If you tune S-AFC at WOT, those settings will stay but if you also tune part throttle, the ECU may compensate a litle to reach a stoichmetric mixture (which is what you want). The nice thing is that you can help the ECU do that if your calibration is way off such as with an intake. After seeing some of the AF mixtures and hearing detonation on IS300's with intakes, I always recommend they tune the car with an S-AFC or E-Manage to compensate for the lean AF mixtures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.