Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. . . .

Has anyone looked into the possibility of powering the Sportcross tailgate / rear door by fitting either RX parts < i.e. Door Actuator & Sensors > or generic parts < i.e. replacing struts with small linear motors?

I've been thinking about this as it's quite a handy feature; even the mid-price wagons seem to have this feature now.

I would prefer to use an OEM RX style actuator & sensors but; I haven't as yet eyeballed an RX to check out the mechanism - but very much doubt the parts could be modified to suit the Sportcross.

Assuming this to be the case I've noticed a few generic retro-fit kits that comprise Linear motors replacing the struts; common-sense tells me this would probably be my only option.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't have a RX to reference, but I do have a sienna so I would imagine there similar. The mechanism is larger than the pillar space on the sx, and would be located in the same space as the rear tweeter location. But I say so it, maybe use a sedan fob with trunk release to activate it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Newbie; that's pretty much what I figured from looking at the exploded diagrams on Toyo.DIY.

It would be quite a P.I.T.A.; the headlining would have to come out; and brackets for the opener custom fabricated & attached to underside of roof. (assuming that is; that there's actually enough space btw the SX pillar & headliner for it to fit.

Even then you would probably have to repaint to the duco on the roof because of damage caused by heat transfer from the welding process- unless that is; you have a lot of faith in JB Weld).

The other issue is that AFAIK; the opener directly actuates one of the door hinges; so you would have to adapt an RX hinge. .

Now; if you had a (hell of a lot) of time on your hands and got this far. . . you would THEN have the issue of mounting the LH & RH sensors; which (from Toyo.DIY diag.) seem to mount onto each edge of the rear glass / door pillars. I figure the chances of these RX sensors fitting into the SX back door with an OEM look to be 2/5 of F.A.

Apart from this I had to peel away the leading edge of the headliner when fitting the rear camera. It seemed to be glued in & didn't pull away easily - it seemed to me that you could easily damage or even destroy the headliner trying to get it out if you weren't very patient / careful.

I think I've answered my own question here - it's all too hard. Might look again at the feasibility of replacing OEM struts with Linear Motors.

I might check this out closer to Christmas (our Holiday period) when I've got a bit more time on my hands. . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts