Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One example is that I would wait at the intersection to make a left turn, but the straight on traffic would not stop until they've run the yellow light, leaving me having to hurry to make the turn at red light. Usually the steering wheel is already pointed to left. When I stepped on it, the tires just went crazy screeching. I didn't feel any loss of traction. And people always stare at me, which makes me uncomfortable. One time, this happend when I made a U turn and the noise attracted the attention of a police officer.

I dont' think it is the tires. I don't even know if the noise came from the front or rear tires.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
are your tires low on air pressure? a lot of times low pressured tires will make that screech, even if you are making a completely safe, non-aggressive turn.....goto the gas station and measure the PSI - im not sure what it should be because it depends on which tires you have...but check it out.

·
8,880 Posts
That's where the LSD comes into play.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, have that
But I don't know how it feels when engaged. One side issue is that I always lose traction when making a nonaggressive turn (15mph to 20mph) over washboard road surface. When TRAC kicks in, suddenly power is gone and the TRAC indicator flashes. Does everyone experience this? Man..I swear there are no worse roads in the would than Washington, DC.

Originally posted by vlad_a:
That's where the LSD comes into play.

·
8,880 Posts
You are also experiencing the Trac problem.
It is overly agressive. I drive w/ trac off all the time, unless in heavy rain/snow. My name is on the list for the update, though.
You'll find a ton of threads on the info above.
The LSD, it doesn't engage, it's always on. It's a mechanical thing. When you go into a turn, an open differential transfers all the power to the wheel that spins faster, thus one wheel is pushing the car. That's, probably, why your wheels are screeching. LSD works differently. It will transfer portion of the power to the opposite wheel, so both wheels are pushing the car, allowing for more power to the wheels inside of a turn and a greater control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
vlad_a
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing