Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
when I was over at Toronto1234's place doing the headlights, we talked about setting up a rust protection meet. Don't remember the costs, but I DID ask my garage what they charge...they said 120
Is that good?

I asked how it would be for a bunch of us, and they wanted to know how many...so the question is.

Anyone interested in getting the car rust proofed before the winter hits? It'll be cheaper than 120 I assure you...I always get a better price! The garage said it was an oil based proof. Is that good?

My car looks like shit from underneath...

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
Hey guys,
when I was over at Toronto1234's place doing the headlights, we talked about setting up a rust protection meet. Don't remember the costs, but I DID ask my garage what they charge...they said 120
Is that good?

I asked how it would be for a bunch of us, and they wanted to know how many...so the question is.

Anyone interested in getting the car rust proofed before the winter hits? It'll be cheaper than 120 I assure you...I always get a better price! The garage said it was an oil based proof. Is that good?

My car looks like shit from underneath...
hey dude ... 120? which place? krown? i got mine done at KROWN and they charged me 100 bucks. (99.99 to be exact) 115 after tax. i got 10$ discount though ...they drill holes all over the doors to protect the inside of the car too. one thing that annoyed me a bit though was the oil they used. my car was dripping oil all over like crazy for a few days! and the sides get dirty all the time. it's all good though. i like what they've done.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Krown on the queensway is pretty good. I had it done on my old car and didn't rust. I got my done at the dealer which is grease based and a one time application. It costs bout $500-$700. The only thing that sucks is when you work under the hood you get rp everywhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
happysmp said:
They Drilled Holes In Your Doors??? What
yep! they drilled 2 holes on each door to rust protect the inside... which u can't get it done by grease based. they use the plastic stopper thing to cover the hole. it's protected all over inside and out.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I know they drill holes in your car... but how many holes to they drill? Is it just two in each door? Or are there more holes?

And I think $120 is expensive. As somebody said... I think the usual price is $100.

But I do need to get my car rust proofed. So if anybody knows of a good place... with a good price I want in!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Crester said:
I know they drill holes in your car... but how many holes to they drill? Is it just two in each door? Or are there more holes?

And I think $120 is expensive. As somebody said... I think the usual price is $100.

But I do need to get my car rust proofed. So if anybody knows of a good place... with a good price I want in!
what crester said

·
Registered
218 Posts
racorbit said:
what crester said
KROWN rust protection. the regular price is 110 but if u tell them u're referred by my mechanic u get 10 bucks off. it's at highway7/macowan area.... i'll have to double check for the exact address.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can probably get themdown to 100 if a few of us go...but if KROWN is the place to go, then I'm in too.

where do they drill the holes?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
roxster said:
yep! they drilled 2 holes on each door to rust protect the inside... which u can't get it done by grease based. they use the plastic stopper thing to cover the hole. it's protected all over inside and out.

I'm thinking you guys are talking about "wax based" not grease based. Both types of compounds contain oils and parafins (waxes)
Oil is obviously very thin, and the wax base or "no drip types" are much thicker. But both will "weep" from crevases and body panels after.

There is also some play in the wording with "undercoating" which is just maintenance, and actual rustproofing.

Drilling is normal, but there is technology out there where small wands can be inserted through existing body holes and panels without drilling. Its just easier to drill entry points

The dealer service is probably out-sourced to rustproofing shops, and is usually no different than your typical rustproofing companies ( except you get it up the wazoo in price) Having said that, the warranty through the dealer is usually better as it is kind of like factory installed. Just one of those costs most ppl don't understand when buying a car. Plus the salesmen are usually getting a higher commision on this service so they press you more during the sale.

A couple of observations, I have made is that Undercoating on our cars is difficult, plastic bumpers, wheel liners and skid plates. We have alot of sound deading material sprayed on the under body, so it s really not much of a concern. Then you have all of the underpanels in the hood and trunk, making access even harder!

The key areas, are the inside of the doors, hood, trunk and pillars and between metal panels ect where moisture is gathering. As an example...look at any Acura Legand, Vigor or GM Cavalier from the ninties and you will see fenders and doors rusting out.

Oil based rustproofing, will "weep" through the body panels and on your fenders, for about a year, then stop. It occasionally will come back on very hot days.

You can try this yourself, but better to leave to a professional, where you will get warranty, and ensure you don't spray product on the seatbelt retractors, sensors in doors.

Digger08

·
Registered
218 Posts
digger08 said:
I'm thinking you guys are talking about "wax based" not grease based. Both types of compounds contain oils and parafins (waxes)
Oil is obviously very thin, and the wax base or "no drip types" are much thicker. But both will "weep" from crevases and body panels after.

hey digger.... mine is oil based. my car was dripping for days.. and for wks after the corner areas still gets dirty from the oil. but which is better? i dont know. personally i would prefer the oil base. the wax based seems like there is a layer of ... poop. like yellowish wish some dirt.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
So what's the latest on this? Has anybody found a place willing to give a group discount?

·
Registered
218 Posts
so when do u guys wanna do the rust protection? i'll get the address for KROWN later and u guys can ask for the price for it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
^^ With all the chaos going on in the weathering system, let's just hope the snow doesn't hit before November.

By the way, this place would be able to hoist lowered cars, right? Just making sure. Or maybe I should I bring my 2x4s? hahaha.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Snow in november?!?!?
If it snows in november, I'll hoist the car for you on my back! ;)

So what's this gonna cost us, and where is this place....someone wanna start a list?
Okay!!!! I'll do it.

Who's in?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I wanna get it. But if we are brining a large number of cars... we should get it for like $90 considering the regular price is $100. There's power in numbers. Maybe if we bring alot of people we can get a good price.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
happysmp said:
Snow in november?!?!?
If it snows in november, I'll hoist the car for you on my back! ;)
lol. That would be a funny sight. Well I'm just saying you never know. Wasn't it snowing in November last year?

Anyways, count me in + my boyfriend too.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts