Lexus IS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the sake of discussion, I thought I would remind people of some rumors on the IS300:

1> 1% price increase in the fall (likely)
2> 5-speed manual next year (basically confirmed)
3> 6-speed manual (unlikely)
4> L-tuned/L-sport/TypeR version someday
5> Rumors that Lexus will copy the entire
BMW 3 series product line including:
Coupe, Wagon

IS300 Convertible!

IS300 Convertible message at club-Lexus

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm hoping that the TypeR/L-Tuned/L-Sport/etc... version comes out. I'm saving as it is now and within 2 to 3 years am hoping to get something for 40-45 grand in one big cash buy.

I have a '97 Camry now and will be keeping that forever. This will be the family car, now I want a performance one.

I'm hoping that the TypeR/blah blah blah/versions will be a good comparison to the M3 at that time.

Speculation from what that Scoop article says is that the TypeR version is coming out in Japan this Fall with a V6 cranking out 260hp. I guess we'll just wait and see.

[This message has been edited by P.Bear (edited May 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by P.Bear:
I'm hoping that the TypeR/L-Tuned/L-Sport/etc... version comes out. I'm saving as it is now and within 2 to 3 years am hoping to get something for 40-45 grand in one big cash buy.

I have a '97 Camry now and will be keeping that forever. This will be the family car, now I want a performance one.

I'm hoping that the TypeR/blah blah blah/versions will be a good comparison to the M3 at that time.

Speculation from what that Scoop article says is that the TypeR version is coming out in Japan this Fall with a V6 cranking out 260hp. I guess we'll just wait and see.

[This message has been edited by P.Bear (edited May 15, 2000).]

I really doubt Lexus will come out with a "M" fighter. That niche is too small. Just like the GS series was aimed at the BMW 5 series, the IS300 will only compete with the 3 series in general. Besides, for the IS to compete with the M3, it has to produce 300+ hp. I don't think the Supra Turbo engine is coming back to America.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh i know for sure that there is an L-sport version coming out, at the Lexus HQ i was talking to some designers out in the parking lots, and they said "this car is great, but just wait for the L-tuned verion to come out" and i quote. Its a reality guys. But i dont want to wait, ill just get the regular one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Darn, and I was hoping for something 300+. I'll be pleased if it surpasses 260+ actually, so that it can play with the CL.

I don't mind waiting, I'd rather pay the car in full. If I gotta do monthly payments, it's going to be a house.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey Brandon,

You work for Lexus ?

--k

Originally posted by Brandon:
Oh i know for sure that there is an L-sport version coming out, at the Lexus HQ i was talking to some designers out in the parking lots, and they said "this car is great, but just wait for the L-tuned verion to come out" and i quote. Its a reality guys. But i dont want to wait, ill just get the regular one.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brandon doesn't work for Lexus,
but he is a Lexus groupie
and hangs out at their headquarters
asking for rides in their prototype
cars... Well, so does his mom for that
matter!

·
Registered
989 Posts
If that's the case, his profile saids that he's from Northern California. Isn't Lexus headquarter in Torrance, California (Southern)?

--k

Originally posted by TEG:
Brandon doesn't work for Lexus,
but he is a Lexus groupie
and hangs out at their headquarters
asking for rides in their prototype
cars... Well, so does his mom for that
matter!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
If the rumor is ture for the 1% increase, then they are making $350 on top of the $5000 they already make on the msrp. Also I read that the invoice price already has a 2-3% markup.. What i'm saying is that lexus is just marking this too high for a supose under 30K car

[From TEG:
The 1% increase could be related to an
increase in invoice price, not just more
gouging by dealers. Also, the invoice prices
I have listed are still only semi-confirmed
by two sources. They might be wrong...]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
187 Posts
But you know what the sad part of this is that suckers like us will still buy this car at 35K. It is an extremely high mark up but considering the high demand I still think ppl, including myself, will highly consider purchashing this car unless something else drastic happens in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think you can get it for under MSRP. However, you will probably have to settle for the car that the dealers can't sell. Which mean, it will not have the options you want and the color nobody likes. More than likely, the "hot" colors will have a hard time staying in the lot, if they have a chance to sit in the lot at all! Consider this: Does anyone know if you can get discounts on a "hot" GS400 at this time? The car has been around since '98 and finding the color you want is still not easy.

As for the markup from dealer invoice, the amount is typical for any Lexus. Did you know the dealer invoice for a GS400 is ~39K, but MSRP is ~47K? An ES300 goes from ~26K to ~31K. So, given the MSRP of the IS300 to be $30500, I'm not surprise dealer invoice is only ~25K. The way I see it, at least it is less than the ES300.

[ From TEG:
Lexus markup seems to range from around
15% to 20%. We (IS300 buyers) are getting
the high end of their scale. Daimler/Mercedes
has a "one price" policy now with about 9% markup
on the C-class, so Lexus dealers are feeling
their cars are more "premium" than the European competitors ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just kidding around, Brandon.

Hey - did you and your mom drive from
SF area to Torrance just to see the
cars, or were you there for other reasons?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know, no we were planning to go down already, my mom has many friends down there and my unvle lives there, one of my moms good friends lives in orange county, and it was right around the time when people said they spotted them there at torrence, so we figured we'de do a drive by (non violent- LA of course) for the hell of it, and we got extra lucky, not only was it out there, but got to ride in it, made my day!

Oh, also went to magic mountain, rode the new goliath coaster there, grr, hope the IS is almost as exciting as that thing..hehe

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, so I take back what I said...
Brandon isn't hanging around Toyota
corporate anymore (waiting for rides).

He is just here with me hanging out
on IS300.net!

(and yes, I am jealous!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status