Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is an excerpt i found on superhonda.org about rumors of a new is3... just thought it would be interestin' to share...

"Well since lexus is toyota's premier badge and they don't have an extreme sports model like BMW M3, lexus is working on what I've heard is called the is360. This is a pre alpha prototype stage vehicle which means it's only in CGI concept form. It's suppose to take styling cues from the is300 but with a more updated beefer look. All that aside its what's under the hood thats breathtaking.

The main competetion in this case is the new M3 with a 3.2 liter inline 6 pumping out 333 hp using VANOS technology (BMW version of VTEC but more advanced) BMW has recieved a great deal of recognition from this vehicle and lexus wants a peice of the pie now that they have nearly the same reputation and name recognition as bmw and mercedez. The angle I believe toyota engineers are working on is twin vvtl-i. This would be the most advanced production engine design to date. Currently toyota has a twin vvti engine which varies intake AND exhaust valve timing throughout the powerband which yeilds 210 hp from a 2 liter engine although they could have done more which is where vvtl-i comes in. Honda was able to get 240 hp from 2 liters because of the extra lift provided by the high speed cam. Toyota was able to get 210 hp without using their high lift cam technology found in vvtl-i engines. So in theory to add high lift cam technology (vvtl-i) to twin vvti would allow for a much higher specific power output. Notice that with vvtl-i the celica gts gets 40hp over its standard vvti sibling the gt and both are 1.8liters which are virtually identical except for the lift portion.

So from an engineering perspective toyota has always seemed to have a slight edge over honda however all the attention shifted away from toyota once the s2000 came out. Toyota has the technology which would allow them to develop an engine more powerful than 120hp/liter but there was never a need or market for them to do so. Thats all changed now as it seems we are begining to emerge into what may be yet another horsepower race : ) Nissan has resorted to using more displacement to introduce more power but I don't believe toyota needs to do that. Think of it this way... their twin vvti 3sge engine makes 210 hp without high lift, in the celica gts the exta lift mechanism adds 40 hp in a smaller engine which would make atleast 250+ hp if the two systems were combined (twin vvti + lift) 125 hp per liter what we're looking at so I wouldn't bet on an increase of displacement for the is360's engine.

This all would confirm what I've been hearing about a 330 hp 310 lbs/ft 3.0 liter engine based off the 2jzge engine in the current is300 models. The edge I think toyota has in this case would be a lighter vehicle using a smaller engine with a little less power than than the M3 but using their ADM (advanced drivetrain mechanics) they would probably put more power to the wheels than the current BMW drivetrains while being lighter overall. This would no doubt put lexus back into the spotlight."

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It would be bad if it were true! I would have to trade mine in!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I'm surprised whoever wrote that got most of that correct...however, it should be noted that the "twin" VVT-i is really called Dual VVT-i. Also, BMW's Double VANOS is not "more advanced" than VTEC; Double VANOS is equivalent to Dual VVT-i.

I believe Porsche's VarioCam Plus incorporates variable valve timing and lift on both intake and exhaust valves.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by VVTIS:
It would be bad if it were true! I would have to trade mine in!
Well, actually ---> It would be Sad if it NOT True, cause wouldn't you want to drive IS360 over IS300?? I don't know about you BUT I would !!!!!
Sorry if I sound like an A$$...
Please don't take it at a wrong way. Thanks

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Bad meaning good, I would want a 360 over a 300, but they would probably raise the price to atleast 330 range.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by robskilove:
Did you hear that Joe Montana is coming back to the Niners?
haha, and lou ferigno(spelling) will play for the raiders next year.

i would love to see a is360 though

·
Registered
376 Posts
I talked to a friend i know at lexus, and he confirmed that a 2 door IS is coming out. He's seen pictures of it. He has also mentioned to me, that it is "rumored" that the convertible will be coming out too. So basically, be expecting a 2 dr IS300 for 2003.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would probably careless about convertible or two door IS300, BUT for the IS360....Hell Yeah !!!
I'll make sure to look for a second job when the Beast is out if I have too...
hmmm.....Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by cruznis300:
I talked to a friend i know at lexus, and he confirmed that a 2 door IS is coming out. He's seen pictures of it. He has also mentioned to me, that it is "rumored" that the convertible will be coming out too. So basically, be expecting a 2 dr IS300 for 2003.

yea, that's a big possibility considering lexus/toyota's gone out of their way trying to make digitized pics of them in 2dr and cabrio versions. can't wait to see the real deal though

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
wiat, why all the nay-sayers here? Toyota obviously has a business plan in effect, and would not release a car like the IS without having thoroughly thought out many scenarios. They had to assume what if the car didn't sell well? What if the car DID sell well? What if sales were just hitting the targets? Sales I would assume, are just hitting the targets, so they know they have a line that can grow... Natural progression would be to make the car better (GASP! Say it ain't so!) and I think the plans outlined by our civic friend are probably all speculation. Regardless, speculation is usually based on some logical thinking, as his were... Lexus and Toyota share development/technologies with each other, and it's only a matter of time when the produce a more powerfull, sportier IS in limited runs like the M3. Perhaps not the same caliber, but at least close & cheaper

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I don't think ToMoCo actually did the computer enhancement. The Brenda Priddy company did them, but whether or not ToMoCo contracted them to do it, I have no idea.

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:

yea, that's a big possibility considering lexus/toyota's gone out of their way trying to make digitized pics of them in 2dr and cabrio versions. can't wait to see the real deal though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts