Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive decided that i dont want my IS to just look good, i also want it to have a nice rumble. Im only going to be putting some sort of an intake whether its a Joe z or something else. What i was wondering is what would be the equivalent for our cars to sound like a stock 350z, G35 or even a M3. They all sound good stock. I want my car to sound like its stock but has a nice tone to it as these cars do. Ive searched and people seem to really like the dragger 2 as do i. Im looking for peoples perspective on there setups to keeping a clean exhaust note.

All opinions welcome, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
its not going to sound like a 350z or g35. the IS has a good sound and its a bit differnt the most other cvars depending on the exhaust u chose. i the apexi N1 that a i bought off a friend new and i love it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i know im not going to get that exhaust note. There cars are stock and sound awesome. Im looking for a sounds that matches the car like the manufactures have done to those cars.

I have heard good things about the Apexi exhaust, not sure about the N1. Is it a clean sound?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the HKS C/F Titanium which just comes with the axel back (no other modifications to my setup)...and I like the sound alot.

It is one of those exhaust though that is relatively quite until you drive for about 20 minutes or so.

Does not sound rice at all, but gives a clean deep Drone.

You should look up "is300 exhaust" on youtube and listen to the different combinations...That is how I picked my exhaust.

·
Registered
506 Posts
buy an intake -- doesn't matter which one they all sound nice. and then pick up a quiet exhaust off the for sale section. Even a sport design muffler is good.. or if you already have the sport design package and its not loud enough for you, try a tanabe medallion touring, an l-tuned exhaust, or a TTE.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
yeah, the srt intake will give you a mean growl when you want it but will be quiet for cruising. its hard to sound like a g35. the meanest growl i have heard from an NA IS300 is with the full mazzuri system, srt intake, and a raised redline.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe im confusing people. I dont want my car to be loud or sound like the cars i listed. Those cars are stock and have a nice sound. In the end i want to keep my cars performace mods to a min but have a nice sound.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had one person suggest just changing out the B-pipe. In the end im lookin for none raspy, but throuty inline 6 sound.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have a JoeZ intake and a hks drager II and i love the sound...im thinkin i might upgrade to an srt intake though

·
Registered
834 Posts
i have a Joe Z intake, Xerd header Ypipe and Apexi WS2 catback... that sounds really nice... not raspy at all, no drone, idles quiet and sounds like a stockish G or 350... if you wrap the headers and the y pipe especially the drone is almost minimized... ill post a vid once i get the chance...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright cool. The thing is i dont think you can pass emissions where i live with headers. I live in AZ and they are pretty strict on the laws here. If i can pass emission with headers im getting a set right away. Someone mentioned putting a B-pipe along with and some sort of exhaust. Im really leaning toward the Dragger II because i havent heard one bad thing about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the JoeZ and Hks Hiper axle back exhaust. It wasn't loud at all when I got it so I went and had the stock resonator removed (which is just making a straight through B-pipe, so no need to buy a diff one). Now it sounds really nice in my opinion. Its has a growl at low rpms and when you get on it gets close to the sound I think you are looking for.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car is slammed and i heard if your car is then you will scrape with the hks hiper. If not i may have to check out that route.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The people that have mentioned having a Joe z intake, are you happy with the sound and the extra power it gave? I think im going to go with the Dragger II. Ive listened to it and it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The people that have mentioned having a Joe z intake, are you happy with the sound and the extra power it gave? I think im going to go with the Dragger II. Ive listened to it and it sounds awesome.

i have the joe Z and an hks hiper also and im am lower than most people.. the joe z gives no sound.. the hiper is very quiet, but sounds deep when you hit the throttle. it scrapes alot, but you arent slammed if you dont scrape. its a part of the game

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the only way to lower a car is to lower it all the way to the ground. Well i guess im going to go with the dragger II so i dont have to worry about clearance issues and not the joe z. It seems to be a great product but i want a little engine roar also.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you dont want your car loud just get any cat-back/axle back exhaust...Just get a reputable brand such as Greddy, Tanabe, HKS, Blitz, or Apexi to name a few...I havent heard of anyone complaining about these brands sounding like crap...I myself have the Tanabe Hyper Medallion and i am a satisfied customer...

·
13,727 Posts
Alright cool. The thing is i dont think you can pass emissions where i live with headers. I live in AZ and they are pretty strict on the laws here. If i can pass emission with headers im getting a set right away. Someone mentioned putting a B-pipe along with and some sort of exhaust. Im really leaning toward the Dragger II because i havent heard one bad thing about it.

Az is not as bad as Cali, they just plug their scanner up and check for CEL codes. You can pick up some 02 sims if you really want headers that will keep you passing emissions. I say, screw the headers. You dont sound like you want that. You need a good exhaust, something quiet for city driving with a nice growl. As said above, your choices are:

Tanabe Touring
Apex WS2
HKS Dragger (which I think is still a little loud)
HKS Limited Ti
or weld in quiet muffler (Borla with tip)

I prefer the Hks Limited Ti myself, but its pricey. Around $520. But hey, you live in Scottsdale, you can afford it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts