Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am sure we are all very happy for you.

For me, four doors was a must. Rear wheel drive was a must. Distinctive styling that appealed to ME was a must. The IS has those and more. The CL-S does not. For ME.

Deal with it. You like what you bought - you should! We like what we bought! The rest is flame bait.

·
Registered
130 Posts
...hey super genius, your first link doesn't work. Anyways, $32K for a glorified Accord, I don't think so. In all honesty if I wanted true speed and some luxury at reasonable price would be purchasing a TRD Stage 3 Solara, a car which easily humbles the Acura Acc....err Cl Type-S, and looks better while doing so. You're really giving Acura owners (provided you reall own this glorified Accord) a bad name.

[This message has been edited by Syndicate (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Geoff, did you come into this forum to draw blood purposely? We like our cars, and apparently you like yours as well. So let's talk about that, instead of trash.

From the first review you linked, let me quote something as to why I haven't really been interested in the CL or S2000:

"You'll see how our VTEC engine loves to be revved. You're probably used to driving cars where the engine runs out of power around 4,500 rpm. This one doesn't start coming alive until about then."

I owned an Integra and a Miata and I was tired of having to live in the 5 and 6k's to get the car to move... (I traded in the Integra for the Miata and the Miata now has a turbo...)

And actually, all that being said, the CL Type S is a great car. Tremendous value, power and features for the price. Which happens to be same reasons I bought the IS. I happened to want four doors and rear wheel drive though.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by webmaster:
Geoff, did you come into this forum to draw blood purposely? We like our cars, and apparently you like yours as well. So let's talk about that, instead of trash.

From the first review you linked, let me quote something as to why I haven't really been interested in the CL or S2000:

"You'll see how our VTEC engine loves to be revved. You're probably used to driving cars where the engine runs out of power around 4,500 rpm. This one doesn't start coming alive until about then."

I owned an Integra and a Miata and I was tired of having to live in the 5 and 6k's to get the car to move... (I traded in the Integra for the Miata and the Miata now has a turbo...)

And actually, all that being said, the CL Type S is a great car. Tremendous value, power and features for the price. Which happens to be same reasons I bought the IS. I happened to want four doors and rear wheel drive though.

if u want four doors the cl-s is right out. i can understand that.

like i said, i almost bought an is300 in graphite. it's not like i hate the car or anything.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Geoff,

All your flames mean but one thing: You wanted to buy and IS300, could not get it for the money you wanted to spend and now need to get secure in your purchase of the CL-S. I got a fully loaded IS300 w/o LSD for $30.3K almost two months ago. What does that do to your better bang for the buck argument?

Now, the power. What's the sense if you can't corner, if your a$$ gets unglued every time you try to get in there at a high speed? Further, what's the point of having a powerful automatic if you can feel every gear shift with every bone in your body. Do you see the IS300 do that?

Last, what's the point in all the amenities if they look like they have been put together with a chain saw: edgy and ergonomically poor?

You tell me....

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by geoff:
like i said, i almost bought an is300 in graphite. it's not like i hate the car or anything.
The tone and attitude of your posts suggest otherwise.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Lost_soul:
Geoff,

All your flames mean but one thing: You wanted to buy and IS300, could not get it for the money you wanted to spend and now need to get secure in your purchase of the CL-S. I got a fully loaded IS300 w/o LSD for $30.3K almost two months ago. What does that do to your better bang for the buck argument?

Now, the power. What's the sense if you can't corner, if your a$$ gets unglued every time you try to get in there at a high speed? Further, what's the point of having a powerful automatic if you can feel every gear shift with every bone in your body. Do you see the IS300 do that?

Last, what's the point in all the amenities if they look like they have been put together with a chain saw: edgy and ergonomically poor?

You tell me....
[NAME CALLING REMOVED BY TEG]

i could go out and grab an is300 right now if i wanted too. quit pretending your car is so hard to get. the local dealer has about seven of them sitting in their front lot. they've been there for the past 20 days, too.

where do you get the cl-s comes unglued in corners? how about having a clue before you post disinformation? cl-s has no handling?
http://www.autoworldweekly.com/roadtests/0007/acura.html
http://www.newsargus.com/newsport/jimscars/Acura32CLTypeS.html
http://www.satoauto.com/rideand.htm

there's more of these in my can of humiliation (tm).

also, rough shifts and poor ergonomics? do u always post nonsense, or occassionally is there a gleaming ray of fact?

i wait for the clouds to break

[From TEG:
GEOFF - Please try to avoid "attacking" people on this forum. It just makes people lose interest in listening to what you have to say. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice going. When you have no arguments, you resort to name calling. CL-S DID come unglued in cornering when I drove it. And it DID have poor interior in my opinion. Magazine reviews are nice but they are not substitutes for real driving (which it appears they are for you).

I am gonna post this again, at $30.3K do you have any doubt that people would opt for the IS300 without a second of hesitation?

And where are the IS300's sitting on the lot? Smuckville, Utah?????? Learn to negotiate instead of trying to hide your insecurities by insulting other people.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Geoff,
I don't know what you're doing on this forum...go to the Acura forum and talk to your Acura buddies about other cars being inferior.
There's no doubt that the CL-S has a nice engine and offers a well equipped car for abot $32K, but that's where the story ends. The car is poorly designed inside and out (it's just a fancy honda accord). It has terrible handling, since it's nose heavy.
And I can keep on going. But what's the point?! Just be happy with your choice, and let us enjoy ours.
I bought my IS for it's value, performance, styling, reliability, sex appeal, and individuality. And after three months of owning an IS, I know I made a good choice.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by Syndicate:
...hey super genius, your first link doesn't work. Anyways, $32K for a glorified Accord, I don't think so. In all honesty if I wanted true speed and some luxury at reasonable price would be purchasing a TRD Stage 3 Solara, a car which easily humbles the Acura Acc....err Cl Type-S, and looks better while doing so. You're really giving Acura owners (provided you reall own this glorified Accord) a bad name.
[NAME CALLING REMOVED BY TEG]

Geoff, your assessment of the CL-S being a glorified Accord is bullsh!t at best. I traded a '99 Accord EX V6 in on a CL-S and the difference between the cars is dramatic. Let's see:

0-60 and 1/4 mi... well over a 1 second improvement.
fuel economy... 1-2 mpg better in the CL-S (yes, I've owned both cars)
handling... the Accord may as well be a DeVille compared to the CL-S
noise levels... CL-S MUCH quieter in town and on the highway
ride quality.... CL-S is smoother
tranny.... Accord's 4spd is perhaps the worst in the business; the CL-S 5spd one of the best
roominess.... comparable in both models
styling... who cares? this is totally subjective
features... CL-S hands down... more major stuff (like VSA) and minor stuff (like reverse tilt passenger mirror)
interior materials.... CL-S is easily more luxurious and of higher quality

If you want to put the CL-S down, at least come up with a good reason

There are plenty of people who can come over here and say "$35K for a glorified riced-out Civic? I don't think so!" People who say that about the IS300 are as ignorant as what you say about the CL-S.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Lost_soul:
Nice going. When you have no arguments, you resort to name calling. CL-S DID come unglued in cornering when I drove it. And it DID have poor interior in my opinion. Magazine reviews are nice but they are not substitutes for real driving (which it appears they are for you).

I am gonna post this again, at $30.3K do you have any doubt that people would opt for the IS300 without a second of hesitation?

And where are the IS300's sitting on the lot? Smuckville, Utah?????? Learn to negotiate instead of trying to hide your insecurities by insulting other people.
now u take a shot at where u think i live; i am hurt.

oh wait no i'm not

for the price you pose, i would still take my cl-s, because i like the styling better, and "performance" in a performance coupe is pretty important. i truly believe lexus bs'ed on the accel numbers, that's why nobody can duplicate it without removing 200 lbs of weight.

i've actually seen UNDER the acura-published accel times for the cl-s, tho. u gotta love that.

i drove the is300 twice, and the cl-s twice. there was no comparison if u ask me.

hence my purchase.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
Geoff,
I don't know what you're doing on this forum...go to the Acura forum and talk to your Acura buddies about other cars being inferior.
There's no doubt that the CL-S has a nice engine and offers a well equipped car for abot $32K, but that's where the story ends. The car is poorly designed inside and out (it's just a fancy honda accord). It has terrible handling, since it's nose heavy.
And I can keep on going. But what's the point?! Just be happy with your choice, and let us enjoy ours.
I bought my IS for it's value, performance, styling, reliability, sex appeal, and individuality. And after three months of owning an IS, I know I made a good choice.

black/ivory
17"

poorly designed and terrible handling? omg are you that uninformed natually, or do you have to work at it?

every expert review has said the design is excellent and the handling rivals the best from Europe.

clue-free is no way to go through life. i can help u for a nominal service charge.

seriously, i can.

·
Registered
130 Posts
...I never said that the CL Type-S was a bad car but the relationship that it shares with the Accord is undeniable, it's just like the ES3 and the Camry. The Civic and the IS3 don't have the kind of relationship as the CL and Accord coupe or closer to home for me the ES3 and Camry. What it comes down to is that the CL just doesn't have what I'm looking for in a car (the only Acura that does is the TL), add to that superior service and my choice of cars is easily made. I have no doubt that the CL Type-S is a good car but I'm sick and tired of Type-S owners acting like their car is the end all be all. Also of note, the only car that Lexus makes in the CL Type-S' class is the SC430, so why is this comparison even happening in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
geoff
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing