Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As you can see Im rubbing against that inside fender. What can I do to prevent that? I running Volk LE37 18x8.5 235 40 ZR

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
What is your offset?

You can get a smaller tire 225/40/18 or try the fender liner mod. Heat it up with a heat gun, and push it in, and see if that works.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your offset?

You can get a smaller tire 225/40/18 or try the fender liner mod. Heat it up with a heat gun, and push it in, and see if that works.
Not sure, I bought them of nigelll I think they are +40?

Do you have a link to the fender liner mod?
Im gonna see about getting some 225's but id rather not spend too much more.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
They are `18 x 8.5 +40 235/40/18 all around.
When I have them or all the wheels that I have had......
I dont care if it rubs the front liner at all........
#1 I cant hear it at all....I usually hear it when I am backing up so i doesnt matter for me.
#2 I have never have any problem with it and my liner is still in a good shape.
#3 Your front fender liner seems like a little loose and mine dont look like that.

BTW, My current wheels are 18 x 7.5 +48 225/40/18 and it RUBS my front liner as well....
Seriously all of my wheel< CE28, GT-N, GT-7, LE37, TE37, BBS LM, GT-U > are all rubbed with my front liner....
so I already get used to it. And all of these wheels didnt break my liner...
IMO, it's no big deal. But everyone is different, you might want to do something to aviod this problem.
Such as use a heat gun to heat up the liner....it should fix this problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm running 17x7 +48 225/45/17 and I rub on the plastic also.
I think if your lowered, it's just something you have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not even lowered yet.

Whats this Fender liner mod though? I cant find it Ive searched like 3 times already now.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
go with 225's and you should be fine.

I ran 19x8 +48 offsets 225/35 tires in the fronts, lowered on Tein S-techs w/ bilsteins and I NEVER rubbed the fender liner.

Nigel, you must be pretty damn low in front to rub on 18x7.5 +48offset, bro.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
well your fender liner isn't even in properly. but i don't think that wud even help

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
go with 225's and you should be fine.

I ran 19x8 +48 offsets 225/35 tires in the fronts, lowered on Tein S-techs w/ bilsteins and I NEVER rubbed the fender liner.

Nigel, you must be pretty damn low in front to rub on 18x7.5 +48offset, bro.
haha yeah

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
thats odd... is your bumper off due to the rubbing? i've had 18 x 7.5 +43 w/ 225/45/18 and lowered on Hotchkis springs (2.5" - 3.0" drop) and never rubbed with a car full of fat ppl

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
same here. when i test fitted my 5zigens in the front they are 18x7.5 with +43 on a 225/45/18 tires and no rubbing with 3 ppl in car. i am lowered on s.techs. my wheel size went up a full inch over stock and tires.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Er? You shouldn' ever be rubing at the front of the liner? It would rub the top way before the front. At any rate, I've been saying this forever...DON'T run a 235/40/18 in front. Way too tall! Read that again...not too wide, but too tall!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all the input!

Yea that side of the car I scraped the plastic an it some how tore out the liner.
Im getting around to finally fixing it today. Im going to try the heat gun mod.

Ill be looking to switch over to 225's too since I really dont need 235 all around I just bought the wheels like that( btw thanks nigell! I love them!)

Ill update soon with how it all turned out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am running somewhat the same problem, but I have a set of 18x8 45mm offset for the fronts and I am running 245/40/18 and I rub when I cock my steering wheel all the way.

Does anyone have a tutorial with the heat gun to push the plastic fender liner in? Thanks

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Eeek...And I thought a 235/40/18 was tall.

As for the heat gun...what you want to do is heat up the plastic until it is semi-soft. You'll see it starting to soften under the heat. You'll want to get to just before this point. Not quite soft enough to start contorting by itself, but just before.

CAUTION: It will be TOO HOT to touch with bare hands.

Don't do it! Make sure you're wearing at minimum, mechanics gloves or gardening gloves. Better yet, welding gloves.

TRICK - have a thoroughly wet rag in hand.

Use the wet rag to apply pressure where you need clearance. This will help both mold and cool down the plastic. Otherwise, it'll stay hot and soft for a long time...longer than you can hold and it'll contract in a way u don't want it to. Don't push too hard, the plastic is easily moldable at this point.

Keep turning the rag where you're pushing...you'll notice the rag absorb a lot of heat which is what you want and the plastic will set.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I rub with 18 x 7.5 +48 offset LOL 225/40/18
Probably the offset is too high? I dont know...
I rub only when I am backing up.....turn the wheel all the way to the left or right...i forgot LOL
another side do not have this problem though....

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
I rub with 18 x 7.5 +48 offset LOL 225/40/18
Probably the offset is too high? I dont know...
I rub only when I am backing up.....turn the wheel all the way to the left or right...i forgot LOL
another side do not have this problem though....
nigel, i dont see why you would rub. I have 18x7.5 with +42 offset 225/40/18 and i never rubbed, ever.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts