Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just got a brand new set of 18X8 Wheels. My mechanic put them on. On the way home when i took a small dip in the highway and overpass my rear left tire makes a small rubbing noise. But none of the other sides do it. I started taking sharp turns and my front and rear left side don't do anything. Could it be a mud gaurd or something. I did research on my rims and their shouldn't be any rubbing issues the car isn't even lowered and that is the only side making that noise. Please help me out!!! Thanks.

Another question, is the harmonic balancer important??

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
platnumdesi01 said:
Hey everyone I just got a brand new set of 18X8 Wheels. My mechanic put them on. On the way home when i took a small dip in the highway and overpass my rear left tire makes a small rubbing noise. But none of the other sides do it. I started taking sharp turns and my front and rear left side don't do anything. Could it be a mud gaurd or something. I did research on my rims and their shouldn't be any rubbing issues the car isn't even lowered and that is the only side making that noise. Please help me out!!! Thanks.

Another question, is the harmonic balancer important??
Yes, the harmonic balancer is important.

Basically, your engine vibrates...at certain frequencies of vibration every object in the world has a "resonant frequency" where the object starts to become unstable and may actually start to break apart (think of a singer and a wine glass, bridges in high winds or marching armies, or in this case...your engine). That harmonic balancer keeps your engine's crank from resonating and potentially damaging your engine.

I wouldn't mess with it unless you know what you're doing.

As for the rubbing issue...no clue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, not harmonic balancer. I ment the little rubber ring that you put on the rims. My mistake. But 18's shouldn't rub right?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their you go!!! Thanks. I guess I'm going to take the car to a shop and see whats going on. Since its only the passenger rear tire thats making the noise

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
You bought +38 18x8 rims ....thats getting pretty close to the limits, if not going over it.

You might have to shave your rear fenders.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After driving it around, I think yah ther rear fender has this inner wall that sticks out a little. I will take it to my body guy and see if he can bend it inward or trim it off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I should have done more research..haha. The rims look pretty sick on the car. I love the stance. I guess if I have to pay a little more to have them not rub I guess its worth it. Spoiler is coming in soon. Then Tint

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Hmmm...I seem to be the only member that hasnt had rubbing problems with the Evo's, and I am lowered on s-techs and did not shave the fenders. Interesting. :suspiciou

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me just say, the more I see the rims on the car, the more I love them. The tire does rub if I hit a dip. For some reason my passenger side rear which is the only tire rubbing has a two finger gap between the tire and wheel well. My driver side has a good 3 finger gap. So my mechanic is going to check it out. I'll have pics of it up soon.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
haha.
Do your research man.
Don't use it without hubrings. It won't make you rub. Leave them in. Otherwise your rear wheels won't be centered on the hub.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have the same exact wheels. They rubbed when i was on stock height, but not bad. I got it lowered on s-techs. They rubbed a LOT. I got the fenders shaved, now they rub sometimes. The rims look soo sexy so its worth it to me, I just have to be careful when i have passengers inthe back because they rub a lot with the extra weight. If you stay stock height and shave the fenders I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yah they rub like once a day, which is not bad. Whats pissing me off now is that they didn't come balanced right. My stearing shakes a little from 50mph to 55 mph. Their brand new, I guess I'm going to get two balanced first make sure that is the problem. Ugghh!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bought the same wheels and I have the same problem. Got the wheels re-balanced and still same problem (steering wheel shake and vibration) I will get my hubcentric rings later this week before I do aligment again see how that turns out. If anyone is looking for the rings www.justforwheels.com has them and you can select for your rims and vehicle.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
You still haven't mentioned what size tires you have. Bottom line, it's all about the offset. Improper offset can make a nice look'n wheel look irregular on a car unless you flare out the fenders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts