Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here. As you can tell I drive an RSX type S. I have a question for you all:

My buddy is going to be getting an IS300 (5-speed) soon. I was wondering which is car faster?

How would I do against one with my mods? (Listed Below)

-Side Note- I really like the IS300. It is a very sweet car!! If I had just a little more money for a car I might have be driving one too.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Stock to stock five speed
complete stop race we lost a bit, but @40 mph or higher, rsx-s is a goner

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benign said:
Stock to stock five speed
complete stop race we lost a bit, but @40 mph or higher, rsx-s is a goner
That is weird... I would have thought it would be the other way around.

The Lexus has more torque, RWD and a LSD that should help it to get out of the hole quicker.

The RSX type S has a shorter gear ratio to keep the power band up and only has to push 13.9 lbs per HP where as the IS300 has to push 15.14.

(To give you an idea how that works.. a Camaro only pushes 11.09 lbs per HP!!!)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
u definetly need to race more is when ur stock....

ever consider weight ratio ?

oh and yeah, with ur mods, u will be able to smack ur friend's is

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
let me drive your friends car (as mine isn't stock anymore) and it would be buh bye rsx

....actually i'm not sure what they run stock? do you have numbers, i don't feel like searching the net.

the stock IS3 five speed can run a 14.9 in the quarter.

-gte

Black RSX said:
First post here. As you can tell I drive an RSX type S. I have a question for you all:

My buddy is going to be getting an IS300 (5-speed) soon. I was wondering which is car faster?

How would I do against one with my mods? (Listed Below)

-Side Note- I really like the IS300. It is a very sweet car!! If I had just a little more money for a car I might have be driving one too.

Thanks...

·
Registered
535 Posts

our IS will lose if going from stop to aroudn 70 mph...
but .. after like 80mph..+ .. we can hang with the RSX..
both Stock ..
i raced one before when i was stock.
i lost about a little more than half a car length up to 70mph..
but back then the RSX has exhaust.. ( i dont know what else he has )

raced one on freeway also ( I have exhaust and filter already ) ..
a little bit faster from 80mph to 120 mph .. ( all i saw the RSX has exhaust and i can hear intake )

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IS300GTE said:
let me drive your friends car (as mine isn't stock anymore) and it would be buh bye rsx

....actually i'm not sure what they run stock? do you have numbers, i don't feel like searching the net.

-gte
I did a quick search and I found this.

Car and Driver got a 0-60mph in 6.1sec and the quarter in 14.8 at 95mph. Here is the article: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2001/August/200108_roadtest_acurarsx.xml?keywords=rsx

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Black RSX said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Car and Driver got a 0-60mph in 6.1sec and the quarter in 14.8 at 95mph. Here is the article: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2001/August/200108_roadtest_acurarsx.xml?keywords=rsx
Damn! those are good numbers. I have raced a stock RSX-type S in my 01' auto IS and barely pulled him going from 60-110, I have exhaust and intake, pretty sure he was stock though. I was ahead by about a car length, but he was hanging there, only slightly dropping back. I'm sure with exhaust only he would have been right there with me.

Haven't raced one off the line yet though.

With my mods, I used a g-tech pro in my car recently and got a 0-60 in 6.6sec and a 1/4 in 15.1, but that's a g-tech, so I'm not sure how accurate that really is.

I thought there was some kind of LSD available for the RSX, is this true at all?

Kane

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kanine21 said:
Damn! those are good numbers. I have raced a stock RSX-type S in my 01' auto IS and barely pulled him going from 60-110, I have exhaust and intake, pretty sure he was stock though. I was ahead by about a car length, but he was hanging there, only slightly dropping back. I'm sure with exhaust only he would have been right there with me.

Haven't raced one off the line yet though.

With my mods, I used a g-tech pro in my car recently and got a 0-60 in 6.6sec and a 1/4 in 15.1, but that's a g-tech, so I'm not sure how accurate that really is.

I thought there was some kind of LSD available for the RSX, is this true at all?

Kane
Yest there is a LSD you can get for $800. They put it on the Japanesse version of my car the Integra type R.

Yeah with my Mods... I am most likely putting about 10ish HP to the grond more than stock..

I would like to take on an IS300 sometime. I guess I will just wait till my buddy gets his. I have yet to meet one on the road.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
These two cars are generally close in numbers so its gonna be all driver. Since you are used to driving your car (I'm assuming) and he is just getting his, I say you'll take him. As he gets used to his ride, it'll be closer. :chill:

Do us a favor - do a race from a standstill and then a 60 punch. Let us know how it goes! You've had nice manners as a guest poster so I'll forewarn you that just like any forum, beware of haters. 8)

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
thats pretty good, the et's are so close, it would probably be up to whoever was the better driver, let us know how it goes

-gte

Black RSX said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rllis300 said:
These two cars are generally close in numbers so its gonna be all driver. Since you are used to driving your car (I'm assuming) and he is just getting his, I say you'll take him. As he gets used to his ride, it'll be closer. :chill:

Do us a favor - do a race from a standstill and then a 60 punch. Let us know how it goes! You've had nice manners as a guest poster so I'll forewarn you that just like any forum, beware of haters. 8)
Trust me... when he gets used to his car and gets a few minor upgrades... we will do EVERY performance test against each other. 8)

Thanks for the warning rllis300. I will just ignore ignorant haters... :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I raced a manual bone sotck type S a couple of months ago. All i had on my IS was my intake and i took him pretty good. we were both new to our cars but i beat him by a couple of car lenghts. we went form a dead stop to about 100 or so. that car has good potential though!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DormanIS300 said:
I raced a manual bone sotck type S a couple of months ago. All i had on my IS was my intake and i took him pretty good. we were both new to our cars but i beat him by a couple of car lenghts. we went form a dead stop to about 100 or so. that car has good potential though!
Yeah I raced another RSX type S when I was stock too. Beat him by two car lengths up to 80mph... must have been the same guy... :lol:

Some people can not drive!!! :shame:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Black RSX
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing