Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering If any of you guys using a lightened flywheel, have rough engagement.. I just got my FLywheel and stage 2 clutch in last week and put 150k on it so far, so its still in the break in time period.. My mechanic says it may go away after 400 miles..Any of you through that Break in period and still feel like first gear studders like your not giving it enough gas?? Every other gear is perfectly smooth only first gear from a dead stop is giving me this problem. Also I noticed some Chattering only at idle when my clutch is fully released.. If i push slightly on the clutch the sound goes away even when the clutch is not even depressed close enough to the engagement point..possibly an over torqued pressure plate ??? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The sound at idle is your throw out bearing.. i have the same noise on my MKII swap. DId he replace it when he did tht enew clutch .. it is recommended.

Is it a six puck cluthc disk? if so the shuddering is actually called Chatter. It prob wont go away totally. and yes your need to give it some gas to get a smoothe roll. The prob with lightweight flywheel is the drop off of torque at low rpm. Less rotaional mass to keep the revs up, however with the light fly, it will rev up faster...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats up tom.. yeah i replaced the throwout bearing with the one that came with the clutch..Its not a puck design but a street disc clutch..It grabs like hell but every other gear is smooth.. Hoping that first will be more smoother but revving till 3.5k rpms is ridiculous unless i was boosted like you ;) So theres no way to get ridd of that chattering noise and rough engagement?? I dont mind the ticking soo much, well lets say i wouldnt mind it soo much if my car wasnt so stock..by the way you gonna continue with the weds meets??

-Adam

·
Registered
212 Posts
its the tranny making the noise. pm me for more details. I don't have time tyo explain right this second but will if you want me to

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yes Im gonna be at next weds meet. The gf isnt gonna come she was a little drunk and a little bored..lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the Unorthodox Lightened Flywheel and the Windowed Kevlar clutch. I have well over 6k on my setup and the shuddering/chattering does NOT go away. There is nothing wrong with the shudder or chatter, as its natural. The upgraded clutch not only grips harder (won't slip as easily), the flywheel as stated above, has less rotational mass and would like to stop faster, you combine those two you get the rough take off. I also had all new hardware (except the throw-out bearing clip) when I installed my setup.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the heads up.. I dont think the sound is from the tranny.... I know your probably thinking of that loud clicking noise when your clutch is dissengaged, when your tranny goes bad.. Ive heard that on Jr 's car when his tranny went out (03intensabluebeast) believe me its not that..its more of a turning belt noise whher something is making a slight ticking noise from rotation..Think you know what it could be..?? im thinking its the natural chatter from the lightweight flywheel.

-Adam

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hyper-z said:
I have the Unorthodox Lightened Flywheel and the Windowed Kevlar clutch. I have well over 6k on my setup and the shuddering/chattering does NOT go away. There is nothing wrong with the shudder or chatter, as its natural. The upgraded clutch not only grips harder (won't slip as easily), the flywheel as stated above, has less rotational mass and would like to stop faster, you combine those two you get the rough take off. I also had all new hardware (except the throw-out bearing clip) when I installed my setup.
Yeah i was afraid of this answer.. Im just scared the agressive grabbing and chattering will damage the Tranny...any knowledge if this is true or not?..

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I broke an R154 because of a very harsh setup. Cariza feels he has done the same. Just dont power shift or throw the cdd back in. The cdd helps dampen the clutch release.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damnn really? throw the CDD back in?? Damnn i threw that shit out immedietely. hahahah. Jr took it out for me wonder if he still has it at his house...How harsh was that set up though? I know Jr had the UR flywheel and Clutch and after 5k he blew his tranny..guess i'll just take it easy on the shifter

·
Registered
506 Posts
From what I understand the OEM flywheel is sprung. Is your aftermarket clutch sprung? One of either the flywheel or clutch plate should be.

Mitch

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you shift real hard, you can damage the tranny. The main thing to look out for on the lightened flywheel setup is the downshift. Rev-match and/or feather the clutch when dropping gears if you want your tranny (whatever one you go with including a V160) to last. Its not like you do it once its screwed, but repeatedly, you will ultimatley break something...

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
naphibuzz said:
Damnn really? throw the CDD back in?? Damnn i threw that shit out immedietely. hahahah. Jr took it out for me wonder if he still has it at his house...How harsh was that set up though? I know Jr had the UR flywheel and Clutch and after 5k he blew his tranny..guess i'll just take it easy on the shifter
My tranny blew because my mechanic fucked up and over torqued the pressure plate and the throw out bearing was rubbing like crazy which eventually caused it to come loose and caused a chain reaction of events leading to the tranny going.

Adam the noise you hear su\hould subside in a few more hundred miles of driving, just take it easy in the time being.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Thats the harmonic balancer you are reffering to. Yes it is balanced.. NO you shouldnt replace it with the light weight one... Flywheel is AOK to replace with A lightweight piece.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info.. Clutch has about 500 miles on it.. Sound got worse.. supposedly its not supposed to make noise when its actually in gear but it does.. Going to have my mechanic check it out.. But damn..I get soo itchy to get up on it But now im deadly scared to..

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
i went thru the RPS sport setup that i kinda hated for a DD as it was too agressive & now i am using a custom built Centerforce clutch that was made to work with this Unorthodox Racing Light weight flywheel.. .One problem as mentioned above is the lighter flywheel spins with less inertia, so naturally it makes for tougher starting in 1st especially on an uphill slope....

chatter is part of the game with any type of segmented clutch disc... doesnt necessarily have to be a "Puck setup" either..my new centerforce is not a puck setup but the friction material is made up of 8-9 separate " blocks/chunks" of friction material Vs one constant ring of material.... so it still chatters a bit but nothing like the 6 puck RPS did... if i was racing/tracking the car regularly Vs keeping it a daily driver i would keep the RPS in...it gripped like hell & with boost it was a solid Mofo .. .just too aggressive for a Daily driver... i was afraid to even consider letting a valet drive my car EVER with that thing in....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah mines a dDD too.. im still trying to get use to the chatrtr and engagment.. Everytime i get off first i feel like my tranny is taking a hit soo i try to baby it as much as possible..Edgy r u still on the W55?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
yes i am so far no problems with it & i have been boosting for well about 6 months or so my car was in the shop & dealign with many problems for about 4 months of the 10 i have been boosted...

so far & Knock on wood the W55 is holding up solidly... i DO have a spare W58 tho that i am sitting on in case the 55 goes BOOM! on me ...

edg

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Unorthodox FLywheel and Unorthodox Windowed Kevlar Stage 2 Clutch. Both 1st and reverse are a little jumpy on initial grab, but that's just something you will have to live with.

I go for a dyno this friday. Only power mods are in the sig - intake and flywheel. Gonna be interesting to see where I sit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts