Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the dealer to get a quote on a brake job and was advised by the Service person that the rotors do'nt normally need to be replaced at around 80k miles...Just turned. The new ones from the dealer are around 150 a piece!!!! Is that normal for them to not need replacement until around 160k???? I really don't abuse them, but the pads are getting real thin...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Get new pads at irontoad.com, they are pretty cheap.

As for the rotors im not sure. I think i am going to get mountain rotors. I heard they make the oem units and they are a great price. I havent found anybody with an is300 with them but i searched google and on other forums people seem to love them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation. At 80,000 miles the rotors are original and never turned. Is is common for pads to last 80,000 miles? (mostly highway)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I wouldn't change the rotors unless something is wrong with them. Unless they are warped or worn beyond a safe minimum thickness... I'd leave them on the car.

Do you notice any damage to the rotors?

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
I wouldn't change the rotors unless something is wrong with them. Unless they are warped or worn beyond a safe minimum thickness... I'd leave them on the car.
That's my vote too. Rotors aren't a part that need replaced b/c you've gone X number of miles. They need replaced when they're worn down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Do you notice any damage to the rotors?
No damage, just wondering. I have owned mostly cheap GM cars during my driving days and it seemed like that was customary. lol.

I will just get them turned unless the few "record player groves" have ruined them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
if i was you i would just get some brembo power slotted rotors and call it a day. the dealer always says stuff like that

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
if i was you i would just get some brembo power slotted rotors and call it a day. the dealer always says stuff like that
Brembos and PowerSlots are nothing really all that special. OEM rotor is top notch, and it will outpreform most of these other brands on the street, trust me, take it from someone that have used aftermarket rotors.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
^^^^ Yup!!!

Reactions: acumenhokie
1 - 9 of 9 Posts