Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls...I just did it to myself...

Turning into a gas station w/o my damn glasses on and I clipped some curbage. Get home - tear in the sidewall (not too big or deep but you can see it easily) and chunked the rim a bit.

On the good side - changing out the tire for the spare was pretty easy and since it is a full size, I will just go buy a replacment tire and keep the chipped rim as the spare.

I friggin suck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Attaboy for Lexus for not giving a donut spare!

That's one advantage I wouldn't have thought of

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey you got that right. I forgot to put that on my list as to why I did not get an ACURA. I believe that do not have a full size spare and not only that on the actual rim too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
must be a bad day i caught the curb too and now the edge of my rim is scratched like all the way around

@!#&U)$&*#$(*@$&

tire is fine, but i'm gonna change to my spare

[This message has been edited by Vijay (edited October 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
666 Posts
that's funny
I was just having this discussion with my wife the other day. Was telling her to try and park as far away from the curb as possible to prevent scraping the rims.

Her response to me...yeah yeah yeah..you and your cars.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by wazzup:

Her response to me...yeah yeah yeah..you and your cars.
I get that too. I also get that when she sees me on IS300.net.

Just think - If I didn't have my beautiful wife and 2 adorable kids, I would be driving a GS400/430 or a Boxster like a single a$$hole at work...

I hate *single* people with lots of money. (j/k)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Open question about replacement tire :
If it's flat (rims only slightly scratched) will Lexus replace the tire or fix it ?
If fixed/repaired, can it still handle th high speeds as originally speed rated ?

thanks ?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
I get that too. I also get that when she sees me on IS300.net.

Just think - If I didn't have my beautiful wife and 2 adorable kids, I would be driving a GS400/430 or a Boxster like a single a$$hole at work...

I hate *single* people with lots of money. (j/k)

I with ya bro! Other problems: "DINK" Double Income No Kids! AHHHH

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by ISFAN:
Hey you got that right. I forgot to put that on my list as to why I did not get an ACURA. I believe that do not have a full size spare and not only that on the actual rim too.
my cl-s only has a donut, not a full size spare

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right Rear impact, so I am ok there...all the days of plowing around in my SUV has developed some bad habits.

Not sure if you can fix a tear in the sidewall...I think I have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I had a similar predicament as Agent Smith and remedied it in a similar manner. Fortunately, the scratched rim, unscathed tire was the right front rim (passenger) so I think the spare is on the correct side.

But what happens if a tire on our driver side blows out. Are we not to put the full spare on that side?

Let me get one thing clear though. Its the tire that's unidirectional. Not the rim right? Shoot me if that's a dumb question.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
15,322 Posts
Originally posted by crontab:
But what happens if a tire on our driver side blows out. Are we not to put the full spare on that side?

u can use the spare on any side, but if its on the driver side then you should only use it to get you off the road and home, buy a replacement and put the spare back in the trunk. the treads on the tire are unidirectional, meaning they were designed to work efficiently in one direction, but if you put them on the wrong side, its the same as putting them on backwards, so the purpose of the tire's tread is defeated.

Let me get one thing clear though. Its the tire that's unidirectional. Not the rim right? Shoot me if that's a dumb question.
just the tire bro, just the tire.

·
Registered
861 Posts
OMFG... I can't bealive that... the spare should only be used on one side of the car !!!!!! FUGE..

Martin

Black/Ivory 17" IS300

Originally posted by DonCorleone:
what side was it on? the spare is unidirectional so i hope it was the right rim...

·
Registered
994 Posts
So, if you ever have to use it on the left side, put it on the left side. Drive to your local dealership, and have them re-mount the tire in the opposite direction. Rims should be direction-less, it's just the tire. Having it in reverse shouldn't damage anything, it's just sub-optimal--unless you're driving in the rain, where the water channeling won't work correctly.

--k

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Failed to have my glasses on and took the turn into the gas station a little tight...I am telling you 5 MPH tops! I am a little pissed that it is gonna end up costing me about $300 for a 5 mph impact. That seems like BS.

Like I said...I suck

And to answer an earlier question...there was no puntang in sight (sadly).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
chromaplast
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing