Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen the Rav4 retro (what year Rav by the way?)

ive seen the Inno

Any Yakima? Thule?

come spring i wanna bike, camp, etc sooo id like to look into it. any OE deisgns?

im puzzled and confused as to go to buy this stuff and what to buy!

any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thule here.

- 1230 Fitting kit (the only SportCross specific thing you need to find)
- 754 Feet (newer revision of the 750-feet which will also fit.)
- Square bars (to whatever length you prefer) (or fancy aerofoil-bars. Your choice :) )

·
Registered
513 Posts
Keep in mind Thule don't make the 1230 SportCross-fitting kit anymore, but they should be available at various places still :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I prefer Thule since I'm Scandinavian and because they have a big array of well-engineered extras :)

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
bb6lude:
Hmmm.. Those "rails" are possibly glued to the roof. They are at least not fixed in/over the weather stripping like the Gita rails.

·
Registered
513 Posts
With regards to Yakima vs. Thule, I'd say that having a flat surface (rectangular bars) is much better for 99% of all roof rack uses than the circular bars Yakima use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Rack

Saw this in a Craigslist for sale ad. Looks nicely integrated, but no details other than it's a Yakima.

The post is here (there are several things odd about the car, btw).
Those are the Yakima Tracks with PlusNut Hardware roofing rails - available at REI I believe

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks, wasn't aware of them.

Anyone want to give it a try? Mounting involves drilling some holes, but it doesn't look to be too difficult.
It would also involve getting the headliner out of the way if you wanna have nuts holding it in place from the inside. It would also involve you being DAMN SURE you're not getting water through those holes now or anytime in the future. It's pretty much the last place you'd want rust.
Also, you ought to be very sure that the panel on which you're mounting them is sufficiently strong and can bear the load of whatever you plan to put on your roof.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Dunno how well things are painted or protected against scrathes, but you should also be aware that wherever aluminium is in immediate contact with steel and there's moisture present, you'll get galvanic corrosion. Much more efficient of fucking shit up than "normal rust".

·
Registered
103 Posts
TLDR: I sprang for the JDM Gita rails. Finding an importer was the biggest issue.

Long version - I tried the Yakima racks for a while but they were chewing up my door seals.
After a bunch of un-productive calls with various Lexus dealers, I ran across a guy here who got me the rails from Japan. They are color matched to the car (factory blue).

They've seen lots of surfboards, mountain bikes, moving a few beds, etc.
They bolt into the stock mounts.
The bolts come with some kind of silicone sealant, so far no water has come in.

I'm very happy with them - well worth the expense.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
TLDR: I sprang for the JDM Gita rails. Finding an importer was the biggest issue.

Long version - I tried the Yakima racks for a while but they were chewing up my door seals.
After a bunch of un-productive calls with various Lexus dealers, I ran across a guy here who got me the rails from Japan. They are color matched to the car (factory blue).

They've seen lots of surfboards, mountain bikes, moving a few beds, etc.
They bolt into the stock mounts.
The bolts come with some kind of silicone sealant, so far no water has come in.

I'm very happy with them - well worth the expense.

Quite a few sportcross owners are interested in them so anything information you can provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ya thanks for the link had some other stuff I didn't know about. Still would like to hear from the op.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts