Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, the other day i was pulling into the garage, and my friend accidently shut the door on my car. i didn't notice it till i heard this scratching sound. i stopped as soon as i heard it, but, the damage had been done. now, most of my roof is scratched up. it starts from the back of the sunroof, all the way to the intena part. and, i've tried to have the scratches buffed out and all....i don't know what to do. what should i do...wet sand it, see if that would help, what? the scratches are mostly surface, but, a good bit went below the clear coat. there a few nice white scratches, and i know those won't come out...but, any suggestions..? i've tried scratch X, and a good waxing job...but, nothing has worked so far. i need some help with it.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
either go and get the top repainted, and have your friend hand you a check for his stupidity, or you can get some of the touchup paint, coat the thing pretty well, then start wetsanding.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i can't ask my friend to just hand me the check. he doesn't have the moeny for it now. i'm trying to stay away from repainting it. its going to be $2000 to get it repainted...yea, i'm trying to do something a little less expensive.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Call me crazy, but how is repainting the roof going to cost $2000? I had my roof repainted and it ran me $250. I also had a dent in the roof. If you know the scratches won't come out, then your only option is to get it painted.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
this will also be an opportunity, lets say u have a MSM or AR color car, and u can paint the roof, black, so it ill in the future match you cf hood, etc etc. it looks really good IMO.

-Aaron

·
Registered
302 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
this will also be an opportunity, lets say u have a MSM or AR color car, and u can paint the roof, black, so it ill in the future match you cf hood, etc etc. it looks really good IMO.

-Aaron

AGREE...

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
if the paint is gone (you can see the primer underneath, or gasp... the metal) wax, scratchx, male protein, nothing will fix it other than new paint, sure some polishes will lighten the edges so the scratches are less visible, but you can't wax back missing paint.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
DonCorleone said:
if the paint is gone (you can see the primer underneath, or gasp... the metal) wax, scratchx, male protein, nothing will fix it other than new paint, sure some polishes will lighten the edges so the scratches are less visible, but you can't wax back missing paint.
hmmmm...I wonder what male protein is? hahahhha

But yea...I agree that you should paint it black...and no it does not run you $2000. You are talkin about repainting the whole car or something?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flatline IS said:
Call me crazy, but how is repainting the roof going to cost $2000? I had my roof repainted and it ran me $250. I also had a dent in the roof. If you know the scratches won't come out, then your only option is to get it painted.
yea, thats what i said...but, it just is. i'm going to probably wet sand my roof, and see how that turns out. also, where can i buy some ASP touch up paint?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had a person come to my house for my bumper scratch, he did it right there for $250, sand, paint, and shine. i'm sure those kinds of people can get it out. just look for a dents expert online in your area. they specialize in details like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts