Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some STP Accent 10mm, 3m Insu-layer and some STP butyl deadener.
I was hoping to apply this to the roof, I'm just a tad worried about clearance space due to the sunroof.
Will I be able to fit these in?
Also, should I apply deadener to the sunroof?
Please let me know. Would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought some STP Accent 10mm, 3m Insu-layer and some STP butyl deadener.
I was hoping to apply this to the roof, I'm just a tad worried about clearance space due to the sunroof.
Will I be able to fit these in?
Also, should I apply deadener to the sunroof?
Please let me know. Would be greatly appreciated.

I've added a good amount of insulation, most of which being actually butyl rubber, but the one place I haven't done is the headliner. However, I have removed the entire headliner to 're-line' it with a different fabric, and 3mm should be plenty of clearance.

Now the one area you will most likely not be able to add it to is the sunroof. I mean, you 'can' but it takes an excessive amount of force, and you'll end up with damage. Now I went through with this process because I was relining my headliner, so this included the sunroof cover. It would certainly help if you added it to this area, but it can be increasingly difficult.

If you're wondering why the sunroof is so problematic, it's because of the sliding rail system the sliding cover sits in, there are some screws at the back of the assembly that are screwed in from the top down (they stop the sliding cover from coming out) making it nearly impossible to remove them without removing the entire sunroof assembly.

26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've added a good amount of insulation, most of which being actually butyl rubber, but the one place I haven't done is the headliner. However, I have removed the entire headliner to 're-line' it with a different fabric, and 3mm should be plenty of clearance.

Now the one area you will most likely not be able to add it to is the sunroof. I mean, you 'can' but it takes an excessive amount of force, and you'll end up with damage. Now I went through with this process because I was relining my headliner, so this included the sunroof cover. It would certainly help if you added it to this area, but it can be increasingly difficult.

If you're wondering why the sunroof is so problematic, it's because of the sliding rail system the sliding cover sits in, there are some screws at the back of the assembly that are screwed in from the top down (they stop the sliding cover from coming out) making it nearly impossible to remove them without removing the entire sunroof assembly.
Thanks for your reply, but is 10mm enough clearance? not 3mm

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's actually fairly easy (lol) to remove the sunroof and then work on it and the roof from there
My negligence had me under the assumption that it's a far more complex operation to remove. How long would you say removing the assembly took you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts