Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys,
This question is for the guys that have rolled there fenders before. I plan on rolling my rear fenders for the rims that I just purchased. The problem is that, I had just gotten work done to the rear quarter panel (because of a minor fender bender) , and I had just gotten it painted.

My question is, how much of a risk do I run of cracking the paint with rolling my fender?

·
Registered
650 Posts
from what i read it will crack

·
Registered
834 Posts
if you heat up the fender then it should crack... mine started to flake but then again i did not heat them up..

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
YOu mean if you heat it up it should not crack^^

·
Registered
213 Posts
I rolled mine and pulled it a little
No paint chip
No paint crack
None of this paint damage nonsense

Heat it up real good and work slowly back and forth, you have to be tarded to mess it up

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
if you got work done there will most likely be some kind of filler used that might not stretch or roll as much as the metal, so cracking is a good possibility.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you got work done there will most likely be some kind of filler used that might not stretch or roll as much as the metal, so cracking is a good possibility.
yeah, thats is what i was told from the guy that worked on my car. If the paint does crack, would just be a matter of sand/prepping/ and painting over the crack right?

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're finally at it bro! Jefferson is correct, you've got to be very tarded to mess it up. I had a "Professional shop" do mine, and they F'd the hell out of my paint. It cracked, chipped you name it. Most shops will tell you from the get go your paint will crack to cover their sorry asses. If it does crack, yes repairing it yourself is an option. It's what I had to do, and I've had zero problems since. In fact I re-rolled them over the new paint, and because it hadn't hardend, and I heated properly, it turned out fine. Just be VERY careful, and take your time.

Reactions: larryw

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
There is no guarantee that your paint won't crack.

Best way is to first clean out the fender where you are rolling the lip.

Then heat the lip to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

SLOWLY start rolling the lip and condintue to apply heat.

You shouldn't have any problem with paint cracking. But it really depends on how well the paint job you have was done.

I've professionally rolled many cars.

Some come out perfect. While some manufactures use shitty paint that is thin so it is prone to cracking.

Do not over heat the paint or it will tear apart.

PM me if you have anymore questions.

This twelve year old knows it all. =)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're finally at it bro! Jefferson is correct, you've got to be very tarded to mess it up. I had a "Professional shop" do mine, and they F'd the hell out of my paint. It cracked, chipped you name it. Most shops will tell you from the get go your paint will crack to cover their sorry asses. If it does crack, yes repairing it yourself is an option. It's what I had to do, and I've had zero problems since. In fact I re-rolled them over the new paint, and because it hadn't hardend, and I heated properly, it turned out fine. Just be VERY careful, and take your time.
haha thanks man! Yeah, I'm finally getting them rims in. 18x8 +37 for the front and 18x8 +27 for the rear. SSR!! :) I can't wait. Thanks for all th info everyone! I pretty much found out what I needed to hear.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
it depends on where the work was done, take a pic and circle the area the repair was made. if it's not along the arch of the fender you SHOULD be fine, but make sure you heat the paint. i can't stress that enough, HEAT THE PAINT!!!

go buy an IR thermometer from radio shack for $30 or whatever, and then return it when you're done but you wanna keep the paint between 120-160/180. i had great results and not a crack, chip, or flake when i rolled mine :approve:

like mikefate said, patience is key. take your time, make sure it's heated, and work it a little at a time, you can't make your entire bend/roll on the 1st pass, and just work a section a few inches at a time until you get the entire thing to lay over flush w/the inside of the fender.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
You have to be careful, heating it up too much will result in the paint stretching and tearing instead of cracking.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
^thats why i used painters tape. if that starts curling, turning brown, or smoking, its too dam hot.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Everyone is talking about Rolling but I shaved mine and never had any problems during or after for my 19's

Shaving, just an idea if worried about paint damage and all that but I also had it shaved by my body shop for $50 a fender which didnt mind payinf for rear as it was a piece of mind also not worrying.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Everyone is talking about Rolling but I shaved mine and never had any problems during or after for my 19's

Shaving, just an idea if worried about paint damage and all that but I also had it shaved by my body shop for $50 a fender which didnt mind payinf for rear as it was a piece of mind also not worrying.
if you don't properly shave you're going to have rust problems. if you shave you need to make sure to paint the shaved area to keep the freshly exposed metal from getting exposed to the elements :approve:

considering it costs $50 to rent an eastwood and all needed accessories from RollYourFender.Com - Home - Fast, Easy, & Affordable Professional Fender Lip Roller Rental and it's easy to do, i can't justify spending twice that to have them shaved... just my opinion.

good tips mike, i owe you some rep

1 - 20 of 25 Posts