Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used RMM kit which doesn't have any documentation, and I dunno what these tabs are for. I felt under the car (too low to see, and I didn't have a jack handy), but I couldn't feel any screws or bolts just in front of the rear wheels on the underside.

Can someone tell me what these tabs are for, and will I have a problem because one of them is "cut?" (See picture, it looks like the tab was round on the end, and someone used several cuts with a hacksaw to make a screw hole) I put them side by side, and for whatever reason, they are actually the same length, but the "cut" one's hole just isn't as deep. Wierd.

Also, does this edge flap go UNDER or on TOP of the plastic wheel well lining? I looked at a bunch of RMM kit pics, but I couldn't see between the tires and wheel wells to verify.

· Registered
453 Posts
I was going to install mine but then decided to sell them off. But I found a screw on the stock skirt for that part you are referring to. I even bought a stubby screwdriver to do the install. Oh well, it still has other uses.

Not so sure anymore about the wheel well lining. It was the beginning of this year so it's a little fuzzy recalling that detail (under or on top).

· Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,916 Posts
i do believe there are screws for those tabs to mount to under the car ... you will see them if you jack the car up & take a look....they are pretty obvious...

as for the mounting to the wheel wells...I actually removed the plastic/rubber pieces that fit at the bottom front of the rr wheel wells to allow the skirts to mount properly.. .there is a black piece that screws into the front corner of the wheelwell (two screws under the car help attach this i think)... it kinda is like a fairing to help the crap picked up by the rr wheels fall out Vs get stuck there .. .when removed there is a little ledge that could allow mud & shit to build up.... the piece i removed has a beveled inside edge so crap the wheel tosses on there slides off Vs sitting there...my skirts would not fit properly with that piece still mounted so i tossed it ... no problems at all.. just remember to shoot that spot with a blast of water when ya wash the car to blow out any crap that is building up in that spot....

· Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
edgy said:
i do believe there are screws for those tabs to mount to under the car ... you will see them if you jack the car up & take a look....they are pretty obvious...

as for the mounting to the wheel wells...I actually removed the plastic/rubber pieces that fit at the bottom front of the rr wheel wells to allow the skirts to mount properly.. .there is a black piece that screws into the front corner of the wheelwell (two screws under the car help attach this i think)... it kinda is like a fairing to help the crap picked up by the rr wheels fall out Vs get stuck there .. .when removed there is a little ledge that could allow mud & sh*t to build up.... the piece i removed has a beveled inside edge so crap the wheel tosses on there slides off Vs sitting there...my skirts would not fit properly with that piece still mounted so i tossed it ... no problems at all.. just remember to shoot that spot with a blast of water when ya wash the car to blow out any crap that is building up in that spot....
Could you take a picture? I don't know where this nook is you're talking about.

6,916 Posts
not right now... my car it all fucked up & in the shop getting repaired... if you are sitting in front of your drivers side rr wheel... looking directly at it ... at the bottom of the wheel well RIGHT in front of the tire near the under side of the car there is a decent sized rubbgery plastic piece that fits right in that spot at the bottom front of the rr wheel well... it is bolted on & i had to remove it to allow my skirts to fit properly & with out strqtching the urethane back to accomodate that piece that was there.....

i'lll try to find pics of that area to show ya where i anm talking about ... i have no pics of that piece i am referring to i do not think......

edG

· Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see any extra plastic on the back, just the front wheel wells. In the back, the painted portion wraps around the fender into the wheel well about 1/2".

But I do have another question. Since my kit didn't come with any additional materials (including screws), do you remove the stock snap-rivets, and put screws in their place? because the snap-rivets won't be long enough to lock in the extra 1/4" thickness of the kit, I don't think.

6,916 Posts
you should see a big ass screw 10mm i think, like a bumper lip/under tray screw... in the front bottom edge of the rr wheel; wells that you use to screw these in you do NOT use any of those snap rivet at all... yer option is to add another small screw ot more solidly mount the skirt... i did that but it means drilling theru the edge of the lip of the wheel well so the additional screw can be mounted....

send me an email & i wil lsend you some pics i think i have.....

edg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.