Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 IS300 that I bought over a year ago that came with a little rust spot on the passenger rocker.. it has bubbled up and got a little worse since last winter.. I know the car was in an accident on the whole right side of the car (t boned). I'm wondering if it wasn't repaired correctly or that the used bondo. I got quoted $400 to get it fixed but I'm worried it might be worse. Any opinions? I am 3rd owner.. previous owner got it fixed but I don't know where or how.. I just want to get it all fixed right with new metal.. can I buy a whole new rocker panel from Lexus?? I haven't seen any info on how this panel detaches or if it can get replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It is spot welded in. The only way to really do rust. Is to cut it out and treat all areas around it. Then put the new metal in and Coat with Paint and any coatings that belong in that area. New or junk part is fine as long as it is rust free and coated properly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok yea that's what I thought.. I'm not sure if that has already been done to this car already.. look at these pics under neath the rear bumper.. I'm also wondering if that line of rust in the previous pic can be fixed.. guy at body shop said it looks like it's rusting on the weld..

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I knew that's probably barely rusted for a northern car. Car with that much rust, I'd start thinking it's time to find another car. I live on the border of north and south (VA) so our rust isn't that bad. My own experience with rust is that the invisible rust behind the rusty panels tends to be much worse than what you can see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea well I'm thinking it's rusting because of a bad repair.. the other side is fine.. this happens to be the side that got fixed since it was in an accident. I think it's rusting because someone didn't use the body filler the right way.. I already talked to a shop and he said he could fix it and weld new metal for like $400.. or I might get a rocker from the junk yard.. I really don't wanna have to sell it. Guy before me barely drove it in the snow and he had it for 6-7+ years.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Yea well I'm thinking it's rusting because of a bad repair.. the other side is fine.. this happens to be the side that got fixed since it was in an accident. I think it's rusting because someone didn't use the body filler the right way..
You know I think that's the dirty secret of body repair. It's mostly impossible to reproduce the factory rust proofing when panels are replaced on a car. Everytime you weld on something, all the paint gets blasted off the other side of the panel just making another place you get rust. I'm sure it's possible to get close to factory but most shops aren't working to that standard.

Friend of mine flew to CA from VA to buy a "rust free" VW bus. He paid $12K for it. He got it back here, I didn't know it was supposed to be rust free. I pointed out how the inner fender panels had rusted out. He about crapped himself. He ended up taking it to a body shop. Another $12K got him some replacement panels and paint. Car looked pretty good. 3 years later, all the panels were rusting at the seams again. He ended up dumping it.

I've fought the good fight against rust and won't do it again. Won't buy a rusty car, won't try to save a car once it shows structural rust.

You might just want to bondo it back up and continue driving it till it's time for replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts