Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first for me at rockauto. I bought a SKF GRW258 rear wheel bearing to fix my car this weekend. When I get the package the box is clearly a SKF box but out pops a Koyo bearing. The skf part sells for $75 and koto sells for $55. So I contact rockauto to get a return label. The automated return instructions say I need to pay shipping back to them, as it wasnt their fault. WTF. No no no. The customer service tells me the manufactures routinely put other manufacturers parts in their packaging. I have never had this happen. Either I live in idiocracy now or their is some fraud taking place. Here is the email chain I had with David last night. You need to read from the bottom up. Has anyone ever experienced this? I wonder if Rockauto has changed management or having financial troubles. I wont be ordering from them again.

——————————-
Dear Mr. Matt

You were charged based on the manufacturers price point. If SKF puts the part in their box and stands behind it with their warranty then the price is the SKF part price not whoever they would source the part from. AC Delco is another bigger name brand who does this with many other brands as well.

Thank you,

David
RockAuto Customer Service

RockAuto HELP
http://www.rockauto.com

Matt wrote:
David,

In comparing parts on ebay. Koyo is $56 and SKF is $70. Can you explain why I was charged more for a lesser part? Was this actually done at Rockauto? A high quality parts maker like SKF would not risk their reputation over something as slimy as this.

Matthew
Sent from my iPad

On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:25 PM, RockAuto Customer Service <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Mr. Matt
We apologize if the part you received is not what you expected. Sometimes manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and re-sell them as their own. In doing so, they declare the quality of the part worthy of their name and stand behind the product with their warranty. We understand that it can be frustrating to find a Koyo part inside a SKF box, but please understand that we do not have control over manufacturer supply chains.

If you disagree with the manufacturer's purchasing decision, you may return the part for a refund of the part cost using the return instructions on our Order Status & Returns page. We will issue the refund back to your original payment method within 3 business days after tracking information shows our warehouse has received your return. We will email you when the refund is issued.

For further information, please see our Helppages or click the link(s) below:

...the part I received looks like it was made by a different brand or company!
How do I view my return instructions?
How much does return shipping cost?
What is your return policy?

Thank you,

David

RockAuto HELP

Matt wrote:
Rodney,

I went thru the steps to return the bearing and at the end it told me you sent an item i did not order and I would need to pay to ship it back. I opened a case with paypal.

I dont appreciate being charged for one item and shipped another. Its called bait and switch. I have been a loyal customer for decades. Thanks for passing the buck.

Matthew
On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:08 PM, RockAuto Customer Service <[email protected]> wrote:

[Ticket#] Wrong item in the box. Order 122
Hello,

To review order details, check an order status, report a problem with your order, or arrange a return, please visit our Order Status & Returnspage. For instructions, please see Help with Existing Orders.
Note: Your order has shipped, so order changes can no longer be made.

Thank you again for helping us keep our prices low by using our online resources,
Rodney
www.rockauto.com

Hello,

I just received a wheel bearing that someone had switched the bearing in the package.
I ordered an SKF GRW258 bearing and received a koyo bearing. I have no idea if the
koyo bearing is even the correct bearing for my car. I will need to return this item.

Matthew

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued:

So when the part fails and I show up with a part stamped KOYO why would SKF step up and replace the part? As I said before I have opened a case with paypal and then with American Express until this is resolved properly.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 16, 2019, at 8:01 PM, RockAuto Customer Service <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Mr. Matt

While we understand your concern. When brands do source certain parts they stand behind them with their normal warranty is if they made the part themselves. We (RockAuto) do not box any parts.

In these situations the refund is for the part cost only. We cannot cover the shipping as the part was not mis-boxed or shipped wrong. We are sorry if you disagree with SKF sourcing this part.

Thank you,

David

RockAuto HELP

Matt wrote:
David,

I just dont understand how its possible that SKF can slip a Koyo bearing in their box and pass it off as their own. Its still bait and switch no matter how you package it. Its like buying a mercedes and after paying, you hand me the keys to an audi and tell me I should be happy its still a german car. You know this is not right. I am concerned that rockauto has changed its business practices. I have purchased many parts from rockauto and hope to do so in the future.

Will I receive full refund including shipping both ways?

Matthew

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It happens, Sometimes manufctures do not make size or hve an issue making it. So they supplement their products with other brands.

Some brands are just brands. They just put other manufacturers product in their box.

Usually it is not a real issue. I have not had an issue with that brand. But the money difference would bug me. Unless they are honoring a better warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts