Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing searches on rock chips and I read a lot about this xpel product that is a plastic cover for the front of your car I guess. I drive 40 miles a day on an expressway, to fix what damage it's already done, by paying a bodyshop would be pointless unless I have some plan. I find it hard to believe I can't have a car without chips all over the front. Anyone who has experience with this would be a great help. I don't even know where I can order that stuff and have it put on.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goldark said:
www.xpel.com
see their list of installers, otherwise your dealership will be able to do it for you

I had mine done after 2 paint chips.
It's been 5 months and it works quite well.
hmmm... is it really visible? I thought I've seen pics of that installed before and I could see the line where it ended on the fenders and hood.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
xtaticconcepts said:
goldark said:
www.xpel.com
see their list of installers, otherwise your dealership will be able to do it for you

hmmm... is it really visible? I thought I've seen pics of that installed before and I could see the line where it ended on the fenders and hood.
what color car.
you are in Chicago.

If you want we can meet up and you can see it for yourself.
I can even give you the name of the local installer that did my car - so you can get it a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
goldark said:
xtaticconcepts said:
goldark said:
www.xpel.com

what color car.
you are in Chicago.

If you want we can meet up and you can see it for yourself.
I can even give you the name of the local installer that did my car - so you can get it a bit cheaper.
Mine's silver...I'm actually going to go to the dealer tomorrow and look. They said they have it on some of their loaners. They want to charge me over $500 installed. The other problem is since my car is already so messed up, i need it painted/touched up, and then put on that stuff.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Well $500 is alot of cash for just the hood.....I paid over $400 JUST for the material in the Headlight / Hood/ & Bumper Kits... so $500 installed for JUST the hood is a fuking ripoff... but $500 for hood & headligthts etc is possibly not a bad deal... but installation of the hood/ headlights & fog lights is VERY EASY... & the material cost is only about $200 for hood & headlight kits , so $300 additional for install is a joke.... the install is CONSIDERABLY more difficult on the Bumper kit, & so if your installation quote is for a bumper kit... & say a hood kit../ that is not so bad....

installation estimates locally here in LA were $200-$250 from all installers i called. :eek: .. so i did my own, all 3 kits & they turned out pretty well... the BUMPER was the only part that was not easy but if you have basic hand/eye, & perhaps some creative/artistic skills, & read the instructions carefully while preparing yer installation materials properly you can do it!

Yes you can see the line slightly on the Xpel kit for the hood, but it is VERY subtle & many times/angles you cannot see it at all... PLUS ... it is a VERY insignificant 'price to pay' for the protection it offers... i went 14 months & 23k-24k miles PLUS, with xpel on my car, installed within a week of purchasing the car, & it looked PERFECT still untill i folded the hood in my accident 6 weeks ago... would you rather Fret over a slightly visible line on your hood that ninety percent of people would never see.. or would you prefer to save the $500+ it will cost to properly paint & paint MATCH the hood/bumper to the rest of the car & have to spend that pretty much every 12-18months....??

& if you do the entire front end, you WILL NOT have to paint the BUMPER as well as that thing will DEFINITELY get hamered if your hood is getting chipped....

Xpel or any other 3m based clear film protectant ROCKS!!!

U got two choices:

1. buy & install Xpel NOW & save headaches & repainting costs later on & pretty much for the life of the car or at least the duration of your ownership of it ..../

2. Or... save the $400 $500 bux, & spend much more later on as you need to paint the hood & bumper again & again & they will NEVER pertfectly match the rest of the car....

it's all up to YOU... :D

& yes factor in the cost of repainting the front of the car NOW & getting it perfect so you have something WORTH protecting....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a bunch of Rock Chips and then my friend ran my car into a pole so I had the whole front end repainted. It looks like this new paint job took care of the problem. By the way, the paint exactly matches. I don't know what that guy is talking about in the previos post but if you get a good enough body shop you shouldn't be able to tell the difference at all. I have been to two seperate body shops that are Lexus Certified and the paint job was impeccable.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
GreenLex said:
I had a bunch of Rock Chips and then my friend ran my car into a pole so I had the whole front end repainted. It looks like this new paint job took care of the problem. By the way, the paint exactly matches. I don't know what that guy is talking about in the previos post but if you get a good enough body shop you shouldn't be able to tell the difference at all. I have been to two seperate body shops that are Lexus Certified and the paint job was impeccable.

I'll just bet ya a 6pack of Heineken that any shop guy with a good eye for these things & who has some experience with painting & bodywork etc etc will be able to tell in a minute exactly where you car has been repainted from stock......... :crazy:

even in the BEST jobs..there ARE subtle characteristics in the new paint, virtuallly impossible to match to OEM paint....it could be the texture Vs the shading of the final coat etc etc but i tell ya any good body man can tell & most really sharp eyed enthusiasts too...

..not meaning to burst yer bubble... too badly :wink:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, got quoted $500 to repaint the front bumper,(which is hardest hit), and possibly thrown in some airbrushing for the hood.

Then, I got quoted $600 to have the whole front end kit installed on my car. Are these prices pretty much the norm?

And now, I'm thinking, it's not a show car so I'd rather invest that money into a navigation system, cuz atleast that's something I can play with. :crazy:

I didn't figure on this Xpel costing so much when it was all said and done.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I got mine put on for 475 by a professional. Hood and bumper. Should have got the lights, so if you gonna do it have the lights done too.

It sure saved my ass on the trip I took to Utah.
a month after I got the xpel on my bumper I got the Ltuned bumper so most of that money went to waste. the Ltuned bumper is nicked like shit.
hood still looks good 1 year later though.
pic

·
Registered
148 Posts
$500 for just the bumper is really steep. I know for a fact that actually getting a new OEM bumper and having it painted is around $530. I am not sure why repainting yours is so expensive, maybe cause they have to strip it down first?

Also, edgy, you might be right but in general no one will be able to tell the difference. I am extremely picky about my car and I couldn't tell the difference at all. I am just saying that this shouldn't be a deterrent from getting things repainted, 99.9% of the population coulnd't tell anyways.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
GreenLex said:
$500 for just the bumper is really steep. I know for a fact that actually getting a new OEM bumper and having it painted is around $530. I am not sure why repainting yours is so expensive, maybe cause they have to strip it down first?

Also, edgy, you might be right but in general no one will be able to tell the difference. I am extremely picky about my car and I couldn't tell the difference at all. I am just saying that this shouldn't be a deterrent from getting things repainted, 99.9% of the population coulnd't tell anyways.

prolly tru dat.. .but then that one punk ass rolls by & notices & has to say somehting & let the air outta yer sails..... :lol:

& really $600 for complete installation of the entire front end kit is NOT bad that is only like 150 or less for installation & it can DEFINITELY be a bitch. If you fuck it up installing it you just ate it....

I was VERY careful & took my time.... took about two hours to do the entire front end, bumper, headlights & hood.... & not fuk it all up.... but it was a bit stressful & a Helper REALLY can make a diff esp for the bumoper...

If i was you i would do the headlights & fogs & the hood yourself.. .read the instructions a few times, & then read them again & get yer stuff ready... I heated my headlight pieces in the dryer...on that flat "basket thing" that hooks onto the door & hangs into the center of the dryer with out moving... to dry delicate stuff with out it getting all tossed about... you can also just pop a few towels in the dryer let them get all hot & then wrap the pieces in that fresh hot towel & do them up fast.. .keep a hair dryer handy to spot heat them while installing them & they end up looking pretty cool & saves you Mucho $$$ Vs paying to have the whole thing installed....... the bumper is the hard one really

good luck...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GreenLex said:

Ya, they said they would have to strip it and then that DAMN metallic paint that I like so much I guess costs a fortune. Ok, so far I've heard that the price for the Xpel is a decent price, am I correct in assuming that this whole package deal they put together for me is ok then with the bumper repainting costing me $500?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.