Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Bad morning. :bitching: Rock chip in the center of the windshield. Not terribly bad - but also right in the middle of the thing. Pisses me off. All I did was veer slightly over the median to see what slow BIMMER was ahead slowing down traffic and POP-BANG-CLANK a super-sonic rock must have whizzed into my windshield. I think it hit the hood first, too, which I need to check on to see if it left any chips.

So my question: Is there *anything* one can do about windshield rock chips? Anything at all? Please? Anything?

·
8,849 Posts
If the rock chip is not in the direct drivers view, it is possible to have it removed. There are companies that specialize in it.

In fact, progressive insurance will pay 100% for the repairs of the windshield, should you decide to repair it and not replace it.

P.S.
Don't feel bad. I got one too. My previous car had one too. Just get over it. There is no way around those things.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If its cracked or chipped bad i know the insurance companies here in Florida will come out to wherever you are and replace it for free... :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
If the windshield is chip there is nothing much you can do. If it is a small crack than there are companies out there that will seal it for $40 to prevent further cracking and once they are done you can barely notice it there. If the crack is really big than you might have to replace the whole windshield. However, you are go to wanna try to repair it first before replacing b/c you want to keep the factory seal

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya' all rule, brahs.

I know I need to forget about it - still pisses me off b/c it seems to happen to me no matter what car I'm driving.

So it's possible to get it repaired, huh? I don't know about my insurance - we do have $0 deductible for non-collision b/c one incident with my old car and vandalism that cost me out the butt to get stuff replaced/repaired. Hmmmm...$0 deductible, mmmmmmmmm.

Maybe I can take it in to Lexus and see what they recommend?

Thanks, guys.

And what's so special about Florida, other than the Miami Dolphins and hot girls? Just kidding...was born in Miami.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean by "factory seal"? You the mean the lining around the windshield? If so, I know what you mean - my old car had to have both front and rear windshields replaced - it was never the same.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
i got 2 rock chips, small ones, like a 1/4 - 1/2 of and inch. the 2 i got haven't spread any farther than when they happened.
both due to the breakaway glass that lexus is using probably. helps in an accident so you dont get major head injury. hurts when a tiny rock that would otherwise bounce right off puts a ***** in your smooth lexus.
probably all the car companies are starting to use the more breakable glass these days. my old cars never got a rock chips. been driving for 17 years, and in 2 years i get 2 on my lex.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I got a small rock chip on my windshield a few months ago, I was really pissed about it but most of the time now I dont really notice it.

·
Apricot idea killer
17,994 Posts
i HATE that crap happening........it happened to me ~1 month ago - it was little, but spread, so i call insurance and they said if it's less than the size of a dollar bill it can be fixed w.o. replacing the windshield, but it was larger, so i order the MANUFACTURERS glass instead of some generic brand they wanted to put in - for MY insurance company they said that it might cost extra for any cars over two years old (mine is a 2001), but i hassled a bit and they agreed - came over to my work with this shield from lexus, but it had some bracket on it for a mirror mounted to the glass - mine's mounted to roof, so they had to get another one - came back the following week and put it in, only this [email protected] put in the generic brand, so i call up all pissed off and they said they'd order it from lexus again only they ordered the one with the bracket TWO more times despite me telling them NOT to order with bracket - in end it took me 1 month to get replaced - BUNCH O" BS..........i still haven't received my bill, so i don't know if they charged more - originally it was a $0 deductible - BUNCH O" BS, so step lively and get that fixed before you have to replace the windshield.............best of luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts