Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for those of you who track your IS 300. Pretty soon I will be buying either an '02 s2000, or an '01-'02 IS 300. If I get the IS, I will do the basic bolt ons and probablly coilovers as well.

Im just wondering how a bolted IS compares to the s2000 on a track.

Also, if I were to get the IS 300, what are some parts that you recommend that are a must for running the IS on a track??

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
1/4 mile track? or a auto-x/road course track?

auto-x/road course, definitely S2K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roadracing, sorry.

I was just wondering how much bolt-ons and suspension mods would even the field for the IS.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
if road, i would definately get the Tein RA's for suspension, EDFC, and a mild turbo kit to bring the car up to around 325-350 HP. Also the TRD *RED* sways, TRD front and rear lower braces, and probably the PLP front and rear strut tower bars, and trunk brace. Should be nice and stiff for the track, and with the turbo, have enough power to whip you around it fairly well.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
is300 bolt-ons are pretty much a waste in my opinion. suspension mods for the is300 are really great, but engine performance bolt-ons are just a waste. i went that route at first, spent a lot of money, and in my opinion got a louder car that wasn't really that much faster. my fastest 1/4 time was 14.9 at 94 mph. stock is mid 15's. realyl nothing to brag about. suspension mods for my is300 made a world of difference!

i never drove the s2000, so i couldnt realyl compare the 2

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
mikefate said:
is300 bolt-ons are pretty much a waste in my opinion. suspension mods for the is300 are really great, but engine performance bolt-ons are just a waste. i went that route at first, spent a lot of money, and in my opinion got a louder car that wasn't really that much faster. my fastest 1/4 time was 14.9 at 94 mph. stock is mid 15's. realyl nothing to brag about. suspension mods for my is300 made a world of difference!

i never drove the s2000, so i couldnt realyl compare the 2
Without a decent EMS all bolt ons are useless and don't really effect the engines volumetric efficiency as much as people like to think =)

I have also wasted money on them when I first started learning about car modification, blame it on the media heh.

Suspension is where it's at for cheaper performance, I agree 100% with you mikefate. +rep(must show love to others.)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yup Turbo S1 or S2 kit that's 6 g's right there, coilover setup and if you really want to you can save 60 lbs and alot of high weight by taking out the sunroof. PM danielM about making a track IS300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes.....

Are there any other cheaper altenatives such as NA?

Intake, ypipe/header/full exhaust, cam gear, clutch/flywheel, coilovers....

Would this make the IS competitive?

It sounds like the s2000 will more than likely be the cheaper setup...

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Auto X or 1/4 mile you will get beat by the s2k unless you go F/I. With equal driving ability of course. As far as suspension the Tein FLEX with EDFC is my suggestion right off the bat.

Kona

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like the s2000 will be the better option.

That car performs so well stock that it's unbelievable. I also like how it forces you to drive smoothly, and intelligently, and punishes you if you dont.

All this and the facts that it's a convertible and will probably be cheaper than a modded IS 300 pretty much put the icing on the cake.

I do still like the IS, though...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Personally I would'nt nessecarily go by whats a winner on paper. Race something you'll enjoy... I know, obviously both cars are enjoyable.

Drive both cars, and then consider which one you prefer. I think while the the S2k would be the clear/decisive winner on paper, it doesn't mean you'll be happier racing it.

Also, I would hope you will drive whatever car you decide on, stock, or stock with good tires, and then decide what mods you want/need to make. Suspension parts, LSD, etc. will make a huge change. If you don't make changes gradually, you'll never understand how each change affected your car.

The suggestions to do turbo kits... Turbo kit + IS + road racing = $$$$$, don't do it, please. Basically and you can ask Hirun, its an expensive, and more often than not, lethal (to the engine), path to take. It also upsets the balance of the car during cornering. NA doesn't build heat as quickly as turbo, and if you are racing, that is a huge issue.

Lastley, tires, brake pads, brake fluid, tranny and gear oil, SS lines, and other things that may not come to mind, and werent mentioned, will vastly improve your driving on the circuit. If you can count on all of your stuff, you can concentrate on the driving line!

No matter which car you choose, it'll be a blast, the IS is a tough car to win with, our P.W.R. isn't the best, but its still a capable performer, and runs very closley with the likes of an S2k.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
track? get what you want they'll be tons of cars faster with either choice.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I agree, is300 isnt slow either.

About the turbo if your going to road race do it right standalone at a minumium and low boost.

Alot of the cars that blow buy you will be boosted. nothing about a turbo inherently makes the car less track worthy.

No reason the track will kill you engine. A bad tune will. I think 90% of the is300 that die under boost die from tuning.

Hyper-z said:
Personally I would'nt nessecarily go by whats a winner on paper. Race something you'll enjoy... I know, obviously both cars are enjoyable.

Drive both cars, and then consider which one you prefer. I think while the the S2k would be the clear/decisive winner on paper, it doesn't mean you'll be happier racing it.

Also, I would hope you will drive whatever car you decide on, stock, or stock with good tires, and then decide what mods you want/need to make. Suspension parts, LSD, etc. will make a huge change. If you don't make changes gradually, you'll never understand how each change affected your car.

The suggestions to do turbo kits... Turbo kit + IS + road racing = $$$$$, don't do it, please. Basically and you can ask Hirun, its an expensive, and more often than not, lethal (to the engine), path to take. It also upsets the balance of the car during cornering. NA doesn't build heat as quickly as turbo, and if you are racing, that is a huge issue.

Lastley, tires, brake pads, brake fluid, tranny and gear oil, SS lines, and other things that may not come to mind, and werent mentioned, will vastly improve your driving on the circuit. If you can count on all of your stuff, you can concentrate on the driving line!

No matter which car you choose, it'll be a blast, the IS is a tough car to win with, our P.W.R. isn't the best, but its still a capable performer, and runs very closley with the likes of an S2k.

Reactions: Hyper-z

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have both an IS and an S2K, but don't track either. Used to track my NSX but stopped since it costs so much nowadays. IMHO, if I were to take a car to the track it would be the S2K. The car from the factory weighs a lot less than the IS. I would conjecture that a mildly modded IS will still have trouble keeping up with even a stock S2K in the corners. I think that rubber is going to be your limiting factor, and 17" R compound rubber ain't cheap. With a 00-03 S2k you get to use 16" wheels which will cut running costs by a lot. You can't get much more HP our of the S2k unelss you go FI, but you have a pretty good platform to begin with.

The IS, from the get go, will need suspension to make it liveable on the track. Also, you will have to go with an '02 to get a 5sd, driving an auto on the track is like having $ex with a condom. Sure you are doing it, but you can't feel anything :) That means your startup costs with an IS cannot start with the prices of an '01.

The S2k comes stock with an LSD, I though the IS that was an option. The S2K can be a little spin happy, but if you get an 02-03 the rear is less tail happy. The 00-01 are set up stiffer, which actually may be a good thing for the track.

A lot of what I have to say however is conjecture. I have not taken my IS or S2K on the track. However I think that my experience in the NSX at least makes my comment pertinant.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
00 -01^ arent a good beginner car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sentinel said:
00 -01^ arent a good beginner car.
True, but in the hands of a good driver, I have seen a stock 01 TOAST some modded NSX's on the track.

One of the first things the S2k guys do is suspension, which will make the car less twichy. Good point though, Sentinel

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah the differences from my understanding are actually in suspension geometry on the rear of the newer S2k. Also newer S2k's have 17" wheels. Both combined helped reduce lap times with the car in stock trim. However, by changing the suspension, depending on your taste, you can probably pretty much eleminate the off-throttle oversteer condition, change the tires and wheels, and you can further improve the car from the factory specifications. I think 00-01 is fine if these modifications are planned for, which it sounds like... The other thing to note is the difference in engine between old and new, so depending on your taste, older S2k had 9k revlimit and newer ones have 8k.

I didnt mean to say that turbo in general makes a car less track worthy, but more to the point that turbo on our cars makes for more problems, from engine -> tranny, and also adds a signifigant cost to an already expensive car. In order for it to be done 100% right, i'd agree with everyone who has dropped 7-8G's+ to do a turbo kit on our cars. There are ways to modify a car and make it substantially faster for circuit (less streetable though), that don't even involve the engine. For example: changing final gear ratios (fairly inexpensive). I think the closer to stock the engine is, the more reliable it will be given the amount of work it'll be given at the track.
Also, concentrating on the suspension and other non engine parts, more than likley won't really put you in some kind of crazy modified classes if you get into SCCA or something, and you can compete with other cars of similar power from the factory, rather than ppl who've built all out crazy race car$.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
if your gonna be autoxing and stuff, i would suggest getting an 2004 or newer S2000 and do some bolt on's there. you'll get a better track car for less money. if you had an IS300 manual with bolt-on and suspension work done, don't get me wrong, it would be fun, but if your looking for a better lap time, it would be the S2K.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts