Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since moving i have no time to work on the old ride to diagnose things - as a result it is in the hands of others and i am left wondering wtf is wrong with it - serious not so serious etc.

well since i am thinking in terms of almost worst case that being the rings and ring landings being toast, i am wondering if teh TT rings and landings wouldn't hold up better with the stock pistons. it seems that the pistons and rods hold up ok per previous posts.

some/most are asking why not jsut go to a tt internal. i dunno - cause i'm weird. but this is just a thought

·
Registered
910 Posts
somguy2u said:
well since moving i have no time to work on the old ride to diagnose things - as a result it is in the hands of others and i am left wondering wtf is wrong with it - serious not so serious etc.

well since i am thinking in terms of almost worst case that being the rings and ring landings being toast, i am wondering if teh TT rings and landings wouldn't hold up better with the stock pistons. it seems that the pistons and rods hold up ok per previous posts.

some/most are asking why not jsut go to a tt internal. i dunno - cause i'm weird. but this is just a thought
What year is yours IS? I know that 01 IS's have stronger rods and pistons, that's just what i've read from previous posts.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
somguy2u said:

well, i'm confused by your post as i think you're confused.

ring landings are part of a piston so yes, the ring landings on a TT piston, as well as the rest of the piston, are a better/stronger design.

could you share a little more of your problems and be more specific as to why you think you've popped the engine?

if you are going to swap stuff out you're gonna just need to do the TT internal swap w/ rod bearings, rods, pistons, and rings. then you'll be good to go. i think it's foolish to tear apart the engine and not replace some rods, which aren't that expensive anyway, at the same time. it's being cheep to be cheep, not effecient or maximizing your mechanic's time.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
if it has anything to do with the bottom end it is serious. Ring landing damage would be from poor tunning or over boosting. Either or would cause problems.

Derek

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IS_Dude said:
well, i'm confused by your post as i think you're confused.

ring landings are part of a piston so yes, the ring landings on a TT piston, as well as the rest of the piston, are a better/stronger design.

could you share a little more of your problems and be more specific as to why you think you've popped the engine?

if you are going to swap stuff out you're gonna just need to do the TT internal swap w/ rod bearings, rods, pistons, and rings. then you'll be good to go. i think it's foolish to tear apart the engine and not replace some rods, which aren't that expensive anyway, at the same time. it's being cheep to be cheep, not effecient or maximizing your mechanic's time.
i have never torn apart a motor entirely sadly - for some reason i had in my head that the landings were seperate from the piston itself(just seemed that way the way i read some of the old posts about it). anyway that answers a lot of my question there - i found out more info as to not be cheap in the end will not cost much more than my previously sanctioned path.

i am just nervous - i am having the car diagnosed at the moment and i am in fear of what might be coming my way.

i don't think it would be due to over boosting 8.7 psi wastegate spring without a boost controller - netted about 8 psi after the pressure loss. 15k miles on it. it burns oil at times of high vacuum - when boost builds the exhasut cleans up so my initial thought is a blown turbo as teh car drives idles and runs fine and odd noise free - but maybe it just hasn't gotten bad yet. bad pcv valve is what jeff mentioned and the pipes were filled with oil. blah jsut waiting at this point. sigh

·
Registered
654 Posts
maxxpsi said:
if it has anything to do with the bottom end it is serious. Ring landing damage would be from poor tunning or over boosting. Either or would cause problems.

Derek

Also you could have a bad injecters etc. More then bad tunning or over boosting. What was your timing set at. Through out your power curve.

Paul

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think the rings are not 1 pc with the piston. They are seperate and you can remove the ring from the piston. (At least thats what I could do with mine that I bought from a guy and they were new, and im pretty sure thats how they are supposed to come)

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
be_is300 said:
I think the rings are not 1 pc with the piston. They are seperate and you can remove the ring from the piston. (At least thats what I could do with mine that I bought from a guy and they were new, and im pretty sure thats how they are supposed to come)
ring landings, however, are a part of the piston. we know rings are seperate.

this car needs someone knowledgeable to debug it and it'll be ready to go. i'd order up a compression test first thing though. do that and report back first.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
be_is300 said:
he asked about changing ringlandings, not the rings.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah - its in someone elses hands, i am told by many they are knowledgeable

i will will let yall know when i find out - hopefully its today.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well they agreed that its weird.

they pulled pipes and junk and found theres no oil in teh exhaust - so i suspect the turbo is good. he thinks either valve stem seals (which i haven't seen going bad - at least on this sight so i am sceptical), bad pcv valve or at the worst - motor ok now but certainly on its way out.

another thing he mentioned that i enevr really thought about but kinda makes sense but maybe yall can attest or detest this:

problems started to arise when i changed the oil in the car (or at least this is when i noticed it) - i went from a 20w50 to a 5w30 and have had that in since. he made the comment that its not thick enough and it could casue some problems. but once the engine is warm the smoking stops and will only smoke at times of high vacuum (going down a hill in gear off the throttle and still accelerating kind of vacuum)

i am kind of expecting the worst at the moment

another question: my BOV after it makes its SH sound lets off an uber high piched squeek. it started doing that about the same time all this started also?

anyone?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That's a tad wierd. pcv valve would be a start considering it's doing it under very high vaccum

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IceCold4x4 said:
That's a tad wierd. pcv valve would be a start considering it's doing it under very high vaccum
i think this is probably the problem - but it seems to act ok when i pull it and check it and stuff. i am going to get a new one and see what happens - they aren't to expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts